advertisement

Topping USB isolator

tuga

Legal Alien
Archimago has tested the Topping USB isolator (into a Topping D10s) and it works as intended:

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2022/03/measurements-topping-hs01-usb-20.html

It's worth noting that the test shows significantly higher noise levels being ouput by his computer when compared to a Raspberry Pi 4, the latter matching the levels of the filtered computer out:

AVvXsEhsJGziZVnOh89rfvbv0IuuXYLN49InVndIDu1I8ez-U_jkc7sbSEHf4pVB_bjVrRERtrQOnqXgrlRjg6PnpqXS1K3P5wGlv8SLTWYXx-68xS4cAchYChvPX7a-L-CFXdR1q1pB6XtBcKtYHb3tAHXOGcG_l6oC1ftMy5YapDytZ_Vi029LLb5nh47b=w640-h252

The problem is that this noise affects the clock and the D/A chip. Look at the jitter measurements, also THD and IMD.
Definitely lost my sleep over this. It will be interesting to see the results of the blind listening tests.

Definitely lost my sleep over this. It will be interesting to see the results of the blind listening tests.

Be my guest.

Here's description, taken from an old ESS white paper, of how jitter sounds:

"The noise that jitter induces is not easily described: it is not a harmonic distortion
but is a noise near the tone of the music that varies with the music: it is a noise that
surrounds each frequency present in the audio signal and is proportional to it.
Jitter noise is therefore subtle and will not be heard in the silence between audio
programs. Experienced listeners will perceive it as a lack of clarity in the sound
field or as a faint noise that accompanies the otherwise well defined quieter
elements of the audio program."

As with any other type of distortion its audibility is probably both system, programme and listener dependent.

The following website has some simulated jitter test tracks:

What does jitter ACTUALLY sound like?
There are seven versions of each sample. Three have periodic jitter, three have random jitter, and one is the original - untouched. In the samples we have 2µs (microseconds), 4µs, 8µs, 16µs RMS jitter. It is unlikely in the real world for a digital-to-analog converter to have a jitter higher than 2µs RMS. I threw in the 4µs, 8µs, and 16µs samples to see what some extreme cases sound like. As you scroll down you can listen to them and make your best guess of which is which. Then you can click the sample's title (i.e. 1kHz v1) to see if your guesses are right.
Before you move on, here is something to keep in mind. The clock interval of a 44.1 kHz signal is 22.7 µs, meaning, there is a sample every 22.7 µs. Jitter is expressed in RMS microseconds. So when we say there is a 2µs RMS jitter, it means the clock was, on average, off by 2µs.

http://www.sereneaudio.com/blog/what-does-jitter-sound-like#listen

Be my guest.

"The noise that jitter induces is not easily described: it is not a harmonic distortion
but is a noise near the tone of the music that varies with the music: it is a noise that
Jitter noise is therefore subtle and will not be heard in the silence between audio
programs. Experienced listeners will perceive it as a lack of clarity in the sound

In simpler terms it is akin to ye olde modulation noise that was an unavoidable effect of analog tape recordings (due to the magnetic 'domain' size of particles being finite).

Although I'd hope it is at a MUCH lower level. Personally, can't say I've ever lost sleep over it.

In simpler terms it is akin to ye olde modulation noise that was an unavoidable effect of analog tape recordings (due to the magnetic 'domain' size of particles being finite).

Although I'd hope it is at a MUCH lower level. Personally, can't say I've ever lost sleep over it.

I don't lose sleep about jitter either, or anything that's audio related.

Be my guest.

As with any other type of distortion its audibility is probably both system, programme and listener dependent.

The following website has some simulated jitter test tracks:

What does jitter ACTUALLY sound like?
There are seven versions of each sample. Three have periodic jitter, three have random jitter, and one is the original - untouched. In the samples we have 2µs (microseconds), 4µs, 8µs, 16µs RMS jitter. It is unlikely in the real world for a digital-to-analog converter to have a jitter higher than 2µs RMS. I threw in the 4µs, 8µs, and 16µs samples to see what some extreme cases sound like. As you scroll down you can listen to them and make your best guess of which is which. Then you can click the sample's title (i.e. 1kHz v1) to see if your guesses are right.
Before you move on, here is something to keep in mind. The clock interval of a 44.1 kHz signal is 22.7 µs, meaning, there is a sample every 22.7 µs. Jitter is expressed in RMS microseconds. So when we say there is a 2µs RMS jitter, it means the clock was, on average, off by 2µs.

http://www.sereneaudio.com/blog/what-does-jitter-sound-like#listen
Indeed, it gets more terrifying by minute. Cannot wait for the blind test results.

I'm surprised @Purité Audio is sceptical about a product from a brand whose products have consistently scored highly on ASR metrics and have always been considered as good value / no-nonsense. Has the ASR ChiFi bubble now finally burst I wonder?! ;)

I'm surprised @Purité Audio is sceptical about a product from a brand whose products have consistently scored highly on ASR metrics and have always been considered as good value / no-nonsense. Has the ASR ChiFi bubble now finally burst I wonder?! ;)

Lovers tiff

Is there a linear power supply option?
Keith

Possibly one that doesn't go have a possibility of going on fire like those Dacs you sell

advertisement

Back