advertisement

Stupidity

Richard Lines

pfm Member
Good Afternoon All,

The rig I'm joining tomorrow is currently off Bell Rock (off Dundee) as per this picture:-

FqL5ubX.png

I think most people on the forum will be familiar with the location of both Aberdeen and Humberside airport? People will be aware I live in Aberdeenshire.

For reasons best known to somebody at Exceed/ Centrica a decision was made to fly me down from Aberdeen to Humberside airport yesterday evening. I've been in the hotel all day twiddling my thumbs ahead of boarding a helicopter at 09:00 tomorrow morning to fly all the way back up north to join the rig.

In fairness I'm not the only passenger on the 12 seater chopper but I'm having to assume that somebody armed with a calculator has determined that this is sound financially......

Regards

Richard

Good Afternoon All,

The rig I'm joining tomorrow is currently off Bell Rock (off Dundee) as per this picture:-

FqL5ubX.png

I think most people on the forum will be familiar with the location of both Aberdeen and Humberside airport? People will be aware I live in Aberdeenshire.

For reasons best known to somebody at Exceed/ Centrica a decision was made to fly me down from Aberdeen to Humberside airport yesterday evening. I've been in the hotel all day twiddling my thumbs ahead of boarding a helicopter at 09:00 tomorrow morning to fly all the way back up north to join the rig.

In fairness I'm not the only passenger on the 12 seater chopper but I'm having to assume that somebody armed with a calculator has determined that this is sound financially......

Regards

Richard

Are you in the Hampton? Always see loads of offshore workers in there when I go, seems to be the default commute for them.

Are you in the Hampton? Always see loads of offshore workers in there when I go, seems to be the default commute for them.

Yes and it was heaving last night. Had a lie in and went down for breakfast about 07:45, the locusts had been through. There were literally no eggs left or available to be cooked and precious little bacon.

I doubt there being full came as a complete surprise so I do wonder at the logistics. They're up at 85 of the 100 rooms booked this evening.

The logistics guy wasn't even sure all 12 people would be transportable. Just think if they'd used an 19 seat S92 out of ABZ?

Regards

Richard

Lighthouses… I watch Wolf Rock and Taterdu most evenings. Very restful. A good book about lighthouses should be on everyone’s bucket list. The building and manning of them over two centuries brings out the inner Biggles in me.

Worked as a Roustabout/ Roughneck for six months on a French rig out of Lowestoft. Good call as only the French rigs allowed alcohol (free) and the the french version of yer greasy spoon. And the cakes!

Way back I used to run the ATC systems out of BP Dyce, this reminds me of the mad scramble when the high-availability system crashed resulting in helicopters not being allowed to land or move anywhere. It’s a good thing they can hover!

If its any consolation KLM flew me from Norwich to Amsterdam, once, via Aberdeen.
Due to overbooking on the direct 8am NWI to AMS flight.

And slipped me a ton in the back pocket for my trouble.

So I didn't complain.

Lighthouses… I watch Wolf Rock and Taterdu most evenings. Very restful. A good book about lighthouses should be on everyone’s bucket list. The building and manning of them over two centuries brings out the inner Biggles in me.

Worked as a Roustabout/ Roughneck for six months on a French rig out of Lowestoft. Good call as only the French rigs allowed alcohol (free) and the the french version of yer greasy spoon. And the cakes!
Such an underrated - utterly superb album IMO :)

Absolutely love lighthouses. I've climbed the ladder up to the main door of Douglas' Eddystone Lighthouse and stood on top of the remaining stump of the previous (Smeeton's tower) one. The workmanship is first class especially considering the location

Maybe it’s cheaper to fly the OP to Humberside airport to share an already chartered chopper with some Dutch guys flying in from Schipol, than laying on a twirly bird just for him from Aberdeen?

Having overseen some refurb work there a few years back, I do not envy anyone staying in any of the nearby hotels.

Maybe it’s cheaper to fly the OP to Humberside airport to share an already chartered chopper with some Dutch guys flying in from Schipol, than laying on a twirly bird just for him from Aberdeen?

There were several other parties had also been flown down from Aberdeen. Yes the rig is on contract to Centrica and working the Rough Field. Flights to the Rough Field go out of Humberside.

Bizarrely it is only a 20 minute flight but a 12 seat helicopter came out with 8 people yesterday as two had to be 'bumped'. You would think with the relatively small amount of fuel they need to carry (allowing for a nominated diversion) for a 20 minute flight (plus turnaround time and the return flight). It looks like they don't do offshore refuels down here. I guess you just have to adapt to the way things are done down here.....

Regards

Richard

Olympic level stupidity!

Yes the caller is an idiot, if he understand the core principles of EU membership he could at least have had a decent debate, whether he was right or not. Stupidity is also the level of debate that occurred through the whole process.

But leaving that contentious topic aside, I’ll add this as stupidity and I’m perplexed why 900 lords and ladies and 450 politicians don’t think this is a disgraceful waste of our money

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/n...-to-cost-7m-despite-security-concerns-342849/

advertisement

Back