advertisement

Speakers to suit Naim Nait 2

Saw one go for £900
Oooouuufffff!!!!!
I paid $280.00 CDN dollars back in the 80's for a Nait 1, should have kept it for resale today.
Anyhow, I have 2 NAP 110 with after market boards that really stopped my upgraditis so I 'm good.
Buying a Nait 1 or 2 would be more nostalgia driven than anything else.

One of the most satisfying systems I ever had was based around a NAIT 2 (and NACA 5 speaker cable) into Guru QM10 Mk 1 speakers. They need to be placed against the back wall ... perfect since it was a small room. That set-up remained unchanged for 5 years, had I not moved out 7 years ago I would probably still be using the Gurus (now consigned to TV duty). They seem to get on very well with low-powered amps like the little NAIT, whenever I threw any "more" amp at them the sound changed a little but it never got better/more satisfying. Not a perfect speaker by any means but very coherent IMO.

I think there is something wrong when you are willing to spend £200 on a budget amp to get it serviced and spend £1500 trying to find speakers that its limited power output will drive in your rather large room. Dump the Nait 2 and get a decent amp and enjoy the Q7's . And yes I have owned a fully serviced nait 2.

Rgds
Stuart
Thanks Stuart, that's really helpful. What would you recommend amp-wise?

One of the most satisfying systems I ever had was based around a NAIT 2 (and NACA 5 speaker cable) into Guru QM10 Mk 1 speakers. They need to be placed against the back wall ... perfect since it was a small room. That set-up remained unchanged for 5 years, had I not moved out 7 years ago I would probably still be using the Gurus (now consigned to TV duty). They seem to get on very well with low-powered amps like the little NAIT, whenever I threw any "more" amp at them the sound changed a little but it never got better/more satisfying. Not a perfect speaker by any means but very coherent IMO.

Yes, the Nait and Guru Juniors are another great little setup, one in which kind of out-Kans the Kan, so to speak.

I'd expect a fresh serviced Quad 303 partnered with a preamp would be ideal for those Falcons.

If you like the naim sound then 42/110 or 32/110 would be my choice otherwise loads of good integrateds out there 2nd hand such as the regas.
Rgds
Stuart
I would add the 42/110 will sound similar to a Nait 1 and the 32/110 would sound similar to a Nait 2.

One of the most balanced and enjoyable systems I ever used was a Rega 3/NAIT 2/Rega Ela Mk1. I still have the same version of the ELA's as spare and available for sale. If you are close to London you can borrow them. Fun but not harsh.

That said, if you are more interested in getting more from your existing speakers (which feels like the more logical thing to do) a different amp makes more sense. The Quad 303 recommended earlier is cheap to source and easy to move on if ultimately it doesn't suit. I used one for a time with a Croft preamp into BBC style speakers with very nice results.

A Leben cs300 is plausible too - if you don't listen too loud or are seated near field. Some of them have a 16 ohm tap that might on the face of it work better with the 15ohm (I think) falcons. More expensive though. Possibly £1500 used.

D
One of the most balanced and enjoyable systems I ever used was a Rega 3/NAIT 2/Rega Ela Mk1. I still have the same version of the ELA's as spare and available for sale. If you are close to London you can borrow them. Fun but not harsh.

That said, if you are more interested in getting more from your existing speakers (which feels like the more logical thing to do) a different amp makes more sense. The Quad 303 recommended earlier is cheap to source and easy to move on if ultimately it doesn't suit. I used one for a time with a Croft preamp into BBC style speakers with very nice results.

A Leben cs300 is plausible too - if you don't listen too loud or are seated near field. Some of them have a 16 ohm tap that might on the face of it work better with the 15ohm (I think) falcons. More expensive though. Possibly £1500 used.
That's very good of you, but I'm too far away in Stratford on Avon.

The kids teenage room hosts my Nait 2 CB with a pair of SBLs, great pairing and easy to drive.

advertisement

Back