advertisement

Ukraine V

Hopefully this idea, first expressed openly by Putin, that a nuclear power cannot lose a war has been put to bed. It does however say you can’t take me over. That’s different and much more persuasive. Sadly, that won’t discourage prolification.

You are nervous, why? You are inventing what I said in order to gain what?

I've never said Russians are strong, they are not. Their military performance is appalling by any standard. If they are as strong as you claim, they would be encircling Berlin now, not Bahmut or whatever is that village called.

I said I don't see how you can win a nuclear power without actually committing suicide, you told me you made analysis that proved you there will be no use of nukes. Really? Please inform us about that.

What do you think that such a small and poor country as mine can do regarding the war there? Nothing, we can only try to look for the hole where to hide when you start nuking each other.
You are consistently avoiding stating your position regarding your own country's actions on the war. You are cowardly running away from even a shred of civic responsibility you have as a citizen of your own country. A society where instead of citizens there is a population, doesn't even need a dictator - it's already powerless.

If Russia can't loose as a nuclear power, it should demonstrate that by bending everyone to it's mighty and fearsome nuclear will, instead of making hamburger helper from his own citizens.

The fact that it can't, readily and immediately empirically invalidates your fearful and irrational statements to the contrary.

Russian has as much power in conventional military operations as visible through it's performance to date and no more. Their nuclear weapons is like an airplane in a car race - I guess you can crash it into the racetrack, but it won't help you win the race.

Putin has been bluffing the world far too long. And useful friends, such as yourself, are forever regurgitating the silly nonsense, desperately trying to get those around them into a common defensive crouch. But most of the world simply stopped fearing the sad, drunk and emaciated Russian bear.

Last edited:
Hopefully this idea, first expressed openly by Putin, that a nuclear power cannot lose a war has been put to bed. It does however say you can’t take me over. That’s different and much more persuasive. Sadly, that won’t discourage prolification.
Sadly, we should probably consider the NPT effectively dead for foreseeable future.

There is dissent in policy circles in the US, from all-out Ukraine support.... http://responsiblestatecraft.org/2023/02/01/the-soft--chimes-of-a-song-ukraine-doesnt-want-to-hear/
It's really always been there, with Sullivan and Milly representing the viewpoint in the article and Blinken/Austin representing a viewpoint closer to mine.

The relative ascendancy of each group (and the resulting leaks and articles) ebb and flow with the current trends on the battlefield.

Since Russia is trying hard to make any headway, and now, with human wave attacks, is making a little progress here and there in the Donbas front, the "go slow and give RF lots of time" group is flexing its position.

The article is good (Snyder is almost always good), but limited in its western paradigm. I believe that Putin's rule in Russia is far more fragile than commonly believed in the West. Ukraine will never have to battle in Crimea - if Crimea is cut off from the grossly overextended Russian land bridge (60 miles thin), RF forces will leave. About at the same time Putin loses his power.

Last edited:
Aren't we also citizens of at least nominally democratic countries that have a civic responsibility to form a coherent position on only THE MOST IMPORTANT HISTORICAL EVENT IN OUR LIVES?
Our respective countries have made their respective positions very clear, all we can do in our nominal democracies is vote for the party that represents our views at a vey broad level. Forming an opinion on a hifi forum will have little effect.

Who did you vote for in your country? Was it Trump?

Our respective countries have made their respective positions very clear, all we can do in our nominal democracies is vote for the party that represents our views at a vey broad level. Forming an opinion on a hifi forum will have little effect.

Who did you vote for? Was it johnson?

nominal democracies

Normally called ‘Representative Democracies’ - the idea being the citizens of the country are freed up to use their time in other ways, rather than constantly arguing about politics :), and perhaps more productively such as developing green power technologies, cancer cures or even just watching their footie team taking a good pasting again.

No, I voted Corbyn. We’re you one of those Corbyn haters that have us Johnson?
No, the MP I voted for got in, and didn't enable the johnson. Check out his voting record, he's a gem. Hywel Williams. Better in every way than the tory-lite on offer in england.

No, the MP I voted for got in, and didn't enable the johnson. Check out his voting record, he's a gem. Hywel Williams. Better in every way than the tory-lite on offer in england.

Sounds fair enough - you’re Welsh or live in Wales at least - lots of great hill walking. What do you think of the ban on the Tom Jones classic Delilah, if you don’t mind me asking?

Sounds fair enough - you’re Welsh or live in Wales at least - lots of great hill walking. What do you think of the ban on the Tom Jones classic Delilah, if you don’t mind me asking?

It would appear that the WRU need to ban a lot of other things going on in their organisation more urgently than banning this. The fans will sing it louder and longer than ever now that’s for sure.
It has one or two gruesome lines I agree but I generally block out the bit about the knife. It brings the fans together and inspires the team and is a great song to sing whether you have Sir Tom’s pipes or not.

Passed me by.Banned by who?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-64488231

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-64497520

" ...the Welsh Rugby Union has announced that Delilah will no longer be sung by choirs at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff.

The 1968 Tom Jones hit has long been controversial because of its references to a woman's murder by her jealous partner, and it was removed from the choir's playlist in 2015.

But, with Welsh rugby at the centre of a storm about sexism and misogyny, the WRU officially banned it this week.
"

Thanks for the info - Sorry if I derailed the thread - didn’t mean to diminish the importance of the war and how brilliant Ukraine has been at repelling the attack from Putins forces.

Back on topic, good to see Ursula Von dear Leyern in Kyiv today pledging more help that Zelensky has requested from the EU.

Hey, 'ban' means you tell people in general what to do or not. Editing the songlist of your own choir is not a 'ban.'

So you also don't want to make your position about aid to Ukraine from your country public? Why? Are you uncertain?

Voting is pretty much the only political act that is meant to be secret, but I will be happy to share and encourage you to actually address the topic of this thread.

My voting record in presidential elections during recent history is:

Abstain.
Clinton.
Clinton.
Gore.
Kerry.
Obama.
Obama.
Clinton.
Biden.

advertisement

Back