advertisement

ATC SCM 19 v2

Where did they say nt to use <2.5mm2?
It says in the guidance document for setting up the speakers that is provided with them and is available on line through the ATC website.
Where did they say nt to use <2.5mm2?
It says this in the manual which is available on line:

"3 : Connection (Passive Models)

ATC Entry Series monitors are equipped with a “bi-” or “tri-wire” connection panel that enables separate amplification of the bass/mid driver and tweeter. Remove the linking bars between the pairs of terminals if you wish to take advantage of this facility.

The pairs of binding posts are laid out to match the drive unit positions with the bass driver pair towards the lower edge of the input panel. Ensure the multiple amplifiers used for
bi or tri-amping have equal gain and use the most powerful amplifier for the LF driver. The terminals can accommodate either stripped cable ends or 4mm plugs.

Always use good quality speaker cable with a 2.5mm2 minimum cross sectional area per conductor (79 strand). Cable of a smaller cross sectional area or fewer strands is unsuitable.
For cable runs longer than 5m use a significantly heavier gauge cable. Consult our dealer or consultant for specific cable recommendations. Ensure that the positive and negative terminals on each connection panel are connected back to the corresponding positive and negative terminals on the amplifier."

Hope that this is helpful.

no, but i already know what to expect.

shl5 xd
better mid range
better low volume
easier to drive
deeper bass

atc 19
better dynamics
tighter (dryer) bass
better high volume
better soundstage depth

I spoke with the dealer I bought my harbeth from last year re a trade in and awaiting a price so may just go for it. My only concern is on the loss of deeper bass but I suspect the better quality bass may offset this.

My ATC's are not the 19's, they're the 40's, but this may (or may not!) help. I had the SCM40's for a second system but preferred the overall presentation of my (main) ProAc D30RS; the midrange was sorted (vs the predecessor D30S) but the ATC's were better. However the depth and shape of the bass on the ProAcs was to die for.

That second system was where I experimented with tube amps and other stuff but I decided to simplify things and buy a pair of active SCM40A to run with the pre of my choice. I bought them blind (deaf?) as I knew they were the same cabinets and same drivers but absolutely everyone raved about the actives. When they arrived, I compared them with the ProAc D30RS; they trounced them, and I'd been a ProAc fanboy for decades. The actives do clarity across the spectrum and the bass is just fabulous; everything is there, nothing is missing.

Sorry if I've missed it upstream but if ever you fancy tweaking anything at all in your system, do try the active SCM19A's; if the 40's are anything to go by, you'll be amazed how much better they sound given same drivers and same cabinets, just having the amps on the right side of the crossover...

What cable for a reasonable cost are people using with atc’s? Given spec requirements.

“Always use good quality speaker cable with a 2.5mm2 minimum cross sectional area per conductor (79 strand). Cable of a smaller cross sectional area or fewer strands is unsuitable.
For cable runs longer than 5m use a significantly heavier gauge cable.”

What cable for a reasonable cost are people using with atc’s? Given spec requirements.

“Always use good quality speaker cable with a 2.5mm2 minimum cross sectional area per conductor (79 strand). Cable of a smaller cross sectional area or fewer strands is unsuitable.
For cable runs longer than 5m use a significantly heavier gauge cable.”
I get the cross-section thing but the 79-strand (magic number?) stipulation is weird. Spookily, they appear to be naming without naming QED here https://www.qed.co.uk/qed-classic-79-strand-cable.html. Not expensive. I'd suggest Van Damme UP-LCOFC 6mm if you're willing to walk on the wild side and try fewer strands... also not expensive.

My ATC's are not the 19's, they're the 40's, but this may (or may not!) help. I had the SCM40's for a second system but preferred the overall presentation of my (main) ProAc D30RS; the midrange was sorted (vs the predecessor D30S) but the ATC's were better. However the depth and shape of the bass on the ProAcs was to die for.

That second system was where I experimented with tube amps and other stuff but I decided to simplify things and buy a pair of active SCM40A to run with the pre of my choice. I bought them blind (deaf?) as I knew they were the same cabinets and same drivers but absolutely everyone raved about the actives. When they arrived, I compared them with the ProAc D30RS; they trounced them, and I'd been a ProAc fanboy for decades. The actives do clarity across the spectrum and the bass is just fabulous; everything is there, nothing is missing.

Sorry if I've missed it upstream but if ever you fancy tweaking anything at all in your system, do try the active SCM19A's; if the 40's are anything to go by, you'll be amazed how much better they sound given same drivers and same cabinets, just having the amps on the right side of the crossover...

I also have 40A’s, I wonder how 19A’s compare? It seems they are less popular but obviously still represent great value given they are active. I think I read some comments around a leaner, less laidback presentation.

I get the cross-section thing but the 79-strand (magic number?) stipulation is weird. Spookily, they appear to be naming without naming QED here https://www.qed.co.uk/qed-classic-79-strand-cable.html. Not expensive. I'd suggest Van Damme UP-LCOFC 6mm if you're willing to walk on the wild side and try fewer strands... also not expensive.

I use the Van Damme cable with my ATCs and it is excellent and very reasonably priced.

I also have 40A’s, I wonder how 19A’s compare? It seems they are less popular but obviously still represent great value given they are active. I think I read some comments around a leaner, less laidback presentation.
I wouldn’t describe my 40A’s as laidback! Must get to hear some 19A’s some time.

…do try the active SCM19A's; if the 40's are anything to go by, you'll be amazed how much better they sound given same drivers and same cabinets, just having the amps on the right side of the crossover...

I almost missed this comment…

I thought active speakers still followed the amp/crossover/driver sequence.

Are you saying that the ATC active speakers feature a speaker crossover BEFORE the music signal reaches the “active” amplifier in each speaker?

This would require an internal (inside speaker) amp for each and every driver - with some pretty clever electronics to pull it all together.

If this is the case, this should make for a startlingly good sounding speaker!

Have I understood your comment correctly?

I wouldn’t describe my 40A’s as laidback! Must get to hear some 19A’s some time.

Well I think they are compared to studio monitors and perhaps to some of ATC’s pro-range?

Laidback may not be quite the right word but they are an effortless sounding speaker with no signs of harshness or brightness.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back