advertisement

Speakers to suit Naim Nait 2

A slightly-offtopic reply, that will not go very loud (although surprisingly- loud -enough for most purposes!) - but: serviced Quad ESL57s.

The Nait 2 is a very happy match driving such; your room footprint allows space for the esls to breathe.
Just a leftfield suggestion, in case if you have ever fancied a go with similar. If you like what such things can do - there is nowhere else to go.

I'm surprised there haven't been a bucket of recommendations for Naim SBLs. Look, it was tested and demoed with them at the factory, and that little shoebox can drive them with ease. There's a nice pair of Walnut finish on eBay at the moment.
SBLs are easy to drive, and they're fine value 2nd hand now, easy upgrade path too if you want it

Did some more listening tonight, and it has shown a bit of inconsistency between recordings. On Nick Drake's Pink Moon, the whole thong is portrayed beautifully, a lot nicer than with the Rega Elicit R. However, when playing Roxy Music's Flesh and Blood album that was great on the Elicit, Bryan Ferry"s vocals are a lot quieter and back in the mix whilst all the music was fine. Is this the speakers being under driven on the Roxy Music album, which is a lot more dynamic than the Nick Drake?

I echo the recommendation about Ela’s and Shahinians. I’d add Ruark to the list too from the same period. My friend Chris from Pro Musica in Colchester almost always had Nait 2/Ela’s playing in the shop, that says a lot.

I know the Nait 2 has many fans and I am one. I always thought a 72/140 was a massive step up though (todays used values aren’t that different!) and could more effectively drive more demanding speakers at higher volumes. You also have the advantage of board swapping in the 72 nowadays, plus mods to the power amp.

I think there is something wrong when you are willing to spend £200 on a budget amp to get it serviced and spend £1500 trying to find speakers that its limited power output will drive in your rather large room. Dump the Nait 2 and get a decent amp and enjoy the Q7's . And yes I have owned a fully serviced nait 2.

Rgds
Stuart

when playing Roxy Music's Flesh and Blood album that was great on the Elicit, Bryan Ferry"s vocals are a lot quieter and back in the mix whilst all the music was fine
About 4 months ago I bought a mint CB Nait-2, and while it sounded great on some recordings (eventhough it would without doubt benefit froma recap!), I also experienced the same thing! (lead instruments or voices sounding quieter and indeed far more back into the mix. My Nait 2 came with a technical report from a audio technician, who also recently worked for a wellknown Naim dealer in my area, and he concluded that the Nait was in great condition, considering its age. So, I'd say it couldn't be a technical fault)

Although the Nait 2 still sounded slightly more transparent, due to this issue with some instruments/voices sounding more back in the mix (far more to the backround) I prefered the IO I already had. Imho, it's a serious competitor to the good ol' Nait-2 for peanuts money. (I do prefer the looks of the Naim though)

I read somewhere that the IO drives the Falcon Q7's surprisingly well. :)

About 4 months ago I bought a mint CB Nait-2, and while it sounded great on some recordings (eventhough it would without doubt benefit froma recap!), I also experienced the same thing! (lead instruments or voices sounding quieter and indeed far more back into the mix. My Nait 2 came with a technical report from a audio technician, who also recently worked for a wellknown Naim dealer in my area, and he concluded that the Nait was in great condition, considering its age. So, I'd say it couldn't be a technical fault)

Although the Nait 2 still sounded slightly more transparent, due to this issue with some instruments/voices sounding more back in the mix (far more to the backround) I prefered the IO I already had. Imho, it's a serious competitor to the good ol' Nait-2 for peanuts money. (I do prefer the looks of the Naim though)

I read somewhere that the IO drives the Falcon Q7's surprisingly well. :)
Thank you, that's beyond helpful.

I would go with something from the previous Rega range, like the R5s or 3s. Good choice of music btw with the Nick Drake - warms the cockles to think folk continue to play his music fifty years after his tragic death.

advertisement

Back