advertisement

Speakers to suit Naim Nait 2

I've heard neats sounding very good on the end of a nait 2 at a show. Admittedly the iota alpha explorers, which are damn expensive! Also Proac

They are, in effect, very vintage. The crossover is the Gold badge, as close as possible to the original design crossover (not the commercial one in the LS3 5a) and the drivers are exact recreations of the original B110 and T27.
Apologies, they're not something I'm familiar with. I have Boenicke W5SE's in my main system and I wouldn't dream of trying to drive them with the Nait. I'm also using a REL T5 sub.

Looking for some advice. I have recently purchased a Naim Nait 2, and unfortunately it struggles to drive my Falcon acoustics q7 (81-82db sensitivity). What would you recommend (up to around £1500. I don't really have a preference for standmounts or floorstanders.
Thank you,
John

Has your Nait 2 been serviced recently ?

This little Nait sounds so good that many speakers will sing with it but I would go with a sensitivity of at least 88db to get some air moving.
Large bookshelf with a 10" woofer or bigger or floor standers would be my choice, if you need bass, of course.

Has your Nait 2 been serviced recently ?
That is my next quandary. I have spoken to Darran at Class A who doesn't seem to think that.it needs servicing based on a few questions around sound quality. It is tempting to do it for under £200, but the amp is in near perfect condition and I don't think it has had lots of use.

This little Nait sounds so good that many speakers will sing with it but I would go with a sensitivity of at least 88db to get some air moving.
Large bookshelf with a 10" woofer or bigger or floor standers would be my choice, if you need bass, of course.
I've heard different things around big driver speakers. One dealer told me that he'd avoid big drivers and floorstanders as the Nait might not drive them properly. He said it's more about the impedance curve than the sensitivity. It's a complicated old business.

That is my next quandary. I have spoken to Darran at Class A who doesn't seem to think that.it needs servicing based on a few questions around sound quality. It is tempting to do it for under £200, but the amp is in near perfect condition and I don't think it has had lots of use.

Great, then take that advice as is. This must mean that age alone is not an issue - more usage over time instead - interesting thanks.

I have used my Olive Nait 2 with many speakers since I bought it new. Rogers LS7t, Kef105.4, ProAc Studio 100s, Super Towers, 1SCs, Ref8 sigs, and using it now sparingly with Dynaudio Special 25s. If you want to get new speakers for your Nait2, I guess the ProAc Tablette 10s would make a perfect match.

Is this not the wrong way round? Why not buy an amp to power the Falcons?
I had already done that with a Rega Elicit R. It drove them superbly, but it just lacked a bit of something. I couldn't quite pinpoint what it was, sort of a lack of engagement I suppose. Anyway, I've had a Nait 2 before and a lovely one came available so I bought it the same day on a whim. I put my Rega on eBay, and that sold straight away for a very good price, so here I am with my Nait 2 and Falcons!

Maybe go back to whatever speakers you used before with the Nait 2. It’s still a bizarre approach in my opinion.

I've heard different things around big driver speakers. One dealer told me that he'd avoid big drivers and floorstanders as the Nait might not drive them properly. He said it's more about the impedance curve than the sensitivity. It's a complicated old business.
Very true about impedance, speakers must be easy to drive with that shoebox amp.
I had a Nait 1 with some Linn Kan 1 speakers for a while and it really was outstanding but without bass notes.
Also heard some huge JBL speakers with 15" woofer and horn tweeter with a very high efficiency with a Nait 2 and it just sounded as a live performance.
I don’t remember what model were the JBL but they looked like this :

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/det...ns-altec-808-16a-horn-drivers/images/2787919/

Very true about impedance, speakers must be easy to drive with that shoebox amp.
I had a Nait 1 with some Linn Kan 1 speakers for a while and it really was outstanding but without bass notes.
Also heard some huge JBL speakers with 15" woofer and horn tweeter with a very high efficiency with a Nait 2 and it just sounded as a live performance.
I don’t remember what model were the JBL but they looked like this :

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/det...ns-altec-808-16a-horn-drivers/images/2787919/
I could get speakers like that, but I'd definitely be living the single life!

There are some early Kan 1s around that can get the Nait bass halfway there, but something like a NAP 110 works much better, and a 250 can do amazing things with the right pair in the right room, regardless of music production. They do vary though - whether that was always the case I don't know. Certainly the original B110 units varied quite a lot (in quality).

but without bass notes.

Nait 2 with Epos ES11 were pretty good on basnotes too, as long as you keep SPL reasonable.

epos-es-11-slika-75715393.jpg

How is this for strange bedfellows ... NAIT2 with Yamaha NS-1000Ms. I can personally attest with my own units they sound superb together. Plenty of efficiency (90dB/w/m), classic looks, and speed - if that's what you're after.

advertisement

Back