advertisement

Returned home with these Quad II monos today. The seller had owned them new since 1963! Also got the 22 pre and FM1 mono tuner. Original valves too:

qTf9Gpi.jpg

I’ll be asking Rob at Amplabs to give them a full overhaul, new sockets (IEC & RCA) and perhaps a respray as there’s some rust type marks on them. Really enjoying some Sinatra vinyl of similar vintage via this classic system this evening.

I have identical units, also dating from 1963 or perhaps 64. They were my Dads but in need of a total overhaul unfortunately, similar rust issues too. Interested to hear how you get on with them.

The room and set up look great! I am all for DIY stands but intrigued by the variation in the legs - same legs but one set upside down?
Sorry – any confusion is down to perspective and my poor photography skills. The legs are indeed identical, 24" powder-coated steel, four per stand, with each leg having a down and an up, like these:
61-Ey-YYyr-JDS-AC-SX679.jpg

Is that a Scott in the rack with the gold front?
It's a preamp from Quintessence Group, a short-lived maker from California in the early-to-mid 70s. Does seem to have taken styling cues from the Scott, now that you mention it.

An updated picture of my humble stack, with the new old preamp made by Quintessence Group, from 1975. A short-lived but well-reviewed company from Sacramento, California. They also made a power amp and equalizer. From what I've been able to gather online, they went out of business in the course of the founder getting divorced.

HaIgYDN.md.jpg

Shame about the nick in the sleeve; I may try to re-veneer it at some point.
HaI87NS.md.jpg

Closeup of the preamp innards. Circuit design seems to be interesting to those who know about such things. Opamps and whatnot. All I know is it sounds great.
HaIUdpp.md.jpg

Some ephemera that came with the preamp;
HaIrXrg.md.jpg

No pictures of the Sonus Faber Concertino speakers in situ yet, as I'm awaiting stands (the ones I ordered were unmitigated garbage so back they went).

Love the preamp, @kasperhauser though I have never heard of the brand.

What kind of rack are you using?

advertisement

Back