advertisement

New Naim streamer preamp

I have the Selekt DSM with Organik Dac home for a listen. It has both balanced and unbalanced outputs and I’m using the latter into Naim NAP300DR. It is definitely way better than my current 272 ( with Teddy Pardo XPS) and I’ve used the MM input with my LP12. I’m finding the internet radio search function much less easy to use than Naim’s but using the Toslink inputs for an ancient Teac CD player and my TV.

I did compare the 222 with the Linn DSM in the shop ( Robert Ritchie) both into a NC 250. It’s not like for like in that Linn offers standard/Katalyst/Organik/dual mono Organik- so I think price wise 222 is roughly equivalent to the Katalyst option. But when you add in the 300 power supply you have £11400 for Naim and c £8500 for Linn Organik.

As I mentioned back up thread if you hear the 222 with the power supply it’s difficult to imagine not having it!

Also hearing Quobuz (including hi-res) for the first time is interesting - 1 st gen Naim can only handle Tidal to cd quality

The Linn is a brilliant one box pre amp streamer and I am likely to move in that direction. I will be able to lose 3 boxes - XPS power supply , phono stage and phono stage power supply.

I took the more straightforward route to Organik.
Purchased a Klimax DS/3 with Katalyst and had it upgraded to Organik.
Very pleased with the outcome!, my previous streamer was a Linn Akurate DS with Katalyst.

Yes, Organik is very very good but ... 7,400 € only for the board upgrade (not available for the Akurate DSM) ...

The Selekt digitises all the analogue inputs (including phono) ...

M.

Does the digitisation of analogue inputs actually matter?
That’s a fair question. A lot of us were raised on the “simple, pure, least obstacles in the path” way of thinking about things. So adding an analogue to digital converter, only to convert it back to analogue later down the chain seems very counter-intuitive.
With the Naim Atom HE that I’m using, can I hear a downgrade in the analogue path? Honestly, not really. Or maybe a tiny one if at all, but without being able to describe the difference I hear.
But then sadly I have to admit my hearing isn’t what it used to be & my days of being hyper critical over small differences are over.
Having the turntable go through that seemingly over complicated digital path really doesn’t degrade the music to a noticeable amount, despite my scepticism.

That’s a fair question. A lot of us were raised on the “simple, pure, least obstacles in the path” way of thinking about things. So adding an analogue to digital converter, only to convert it back to analogue later down the chain seems very counter-intuitive.
With the Naim Atom HE that I’m using, can I hear a downgrade in the analogue path? Honestly, not really. Or maybe a tiny one if at all, but without being able to describe the difference I hear.
But then sadly I have to admit my hearing isn’t what it used to be & my days of being hyper critical over small differences are over.
Having the turntable go through that seemingly over complicated digital path really doesn’t degrade the music to a noticeable amount, despite my scepticism.
I tend to agree, I’m just not that fussed about such details. The biggest factor is speakers & room.

I tend to agree, I’m just not that fussed about such details. The biggest factor is speakers & room.

I’ve got a Selekt Organik on home demo just now with an LP12 with MM cartridge plugged in. It sounds really good. Better than the Katalyst version which I previously auditioned. To be frank the streaming performance whether from local Unitiserve or from remote services - Tidal/Qobuz- is so good that I can live with any minor issues with the digitisation. My main listening is digital so the loss of two phono stage boxes - power supply and phono box - is something I’m keen on.

The ability in the digital domain of the Selekt compared with my 272 ( with Teddy XPS and Morgana) is exceptional - placement of instruments and voices, presentation of vocals and musicality of the sound mean that I’m probably going to go that way. But I’ve listened to old favourites from my LP collection thru the Selekt and they sound fantastic too.

I also agree that speakers and room are crucial but the advantage of home demo is that these can be kept constant.

As mentioned back up thread it wasn’t an entirely fair comparison with the new 222 in the dealers shop as the Organik is higher up the price chain but when one adds the new 300 PSU to the new 222 the Naim is over £2k more in the U.K. Having heard the 222 on its own and with the PSU it’s the usual Naim story - the separate boxes make a positive impact - at a cost.

I’ve got a Selekt Organik on home demo just now with an LP12 with MM cartridge plugged in. It sounds really good. Better than the Katalyst version which I previously auditioned. To be frank the streaming performance whether from local Unitiserve or from remote services - Tidal/Qobuz- is so good that I can live with any minor issues with the digitisation. My main listening is digital so the loss of two phono stage boxes - power supply and phono box - is something I’m keen on.

The ability in the digital domain of the Selekt compared with my 272 ( with Teddy XPS and Morgana) is exceptional - placement of instruments and voices, presentation of vocals and musicality of the sound mean that I’m probably going to go that way. But I’ve listened to old favourites from my LP collection thru the Selekt and they sound fantastic too.

I also agree that speakers and room are crucial but the advantage of home demo is that these can be kept constant.

As mentioned back up thread it wasn’t an entirely fair comparison with the new 222 in the dealers shop as the Organik is higher up the price chain but when one adds the new 300 PSU to the new 222 the Naim is over £2k more in the U.K. Having heard the 222 on its own and with the PSU it’s the usual Naim story - the separate boxes make a positive impact - at a cost.
I really like the idea behind the Linn DSM system. I currently have a Innuos Zen Mini plus power supply into an ATC CDA2, it sounds great, my LP12 goes through a Linto. Be really interesting to Dem a DSM when I have the spare cash, a really neat solution albeit at a price.

Seeing as I did run a 252/sc & a CDX/XPS you can see how I skimmed down at no sonic cost.

From your reply you still have a HD also?

I do need to try one of the hi res streaming services, just not got round to it; waiting for the next offer to come along.

I really like the idea behind the Linn DSM system. I currently have a Innuos Zen Mini plus power supply into an ATC CDA2, it sounds great, my LP12 goes through a Linto. Be really interesting to Dem a DSM when I have the spare cash, a really neat solution albeit at a price.

Seeing as I did run a 252/sc & a CDX/XPS you can see how I skimmed down at no sonic cost.

From your reply you still have a HD also?

I do need to try one of the hi res streaming services, just not got round to it; waiting for the next offer to come along.

Being a bit dim this morning - HD?

it depends … for an analogue men I guess it does

even with the Organik the digitisation is slightly audible
How do you identify any aspect of what you are hearing from your speakers as being caused by digitisation? It’s not as if you can bypass it for comparison.

Not that this is particularly relevant to this thread, as the 222 doesn’t digitise anything.

Hard Drive or music server.
Ah yes - thanks - yes I still have a hard drive server - it’s already been back to Salisbury once so I’m not sure what I’d do if it expires. I still have the cds in the attic so if I find that streaming services don’t have the more offbeat stuff I can still play via an old CD player which I have retained.

Yes, Organik is very very good but ... 7,400 € only for the board upgrade (not available for the Akurate DSM) ...

The Selekt digitises all the analogue inputs (including phono) ...

M.

Akurate was end of line once Selekt arrived.

My ADS/Katalyst of 12 years went bye bye when i sourced a KDS/3.

Organik although pricey was and is a stunning upgrade to my KDS :)

I suspect with the New Classic series, streamer/preamps will become much more important. If you must have a power supply hanging off a streamer or preamp, then the only way to reduce box count is to have a streamer/preamp. If this is the case, then any analogue preamps released will be very high end, and very expensive. Where this leaves standalone streamers, I don't know. Guess we will see.

So, has anyone bought one yet?

No, and I won't be at those prices. It might look nice but there's just not enough of a difference to justify the expenditure.

Regarding the Slovakia thing... I reckon they're testing the water. If it all goes well then I'd expect to see all production moved there. Salisbury's days could well be numbered.

I'd expect to see all production moved there. Salisbury's days could well be numbered.

Its strange they are making same product on two locations.
This will put customer into a choice of unnecessary decision.

Its much more likely Slovakia in future will manufacture entrylevel, Naits, Uniti's and possible 200/300 range. While Salisbury will become a satellite development center maybe making 500/Statement range too.
More sub-parts will be made cost effective elsewhere.

I suspect with the New Classic series, streamer/preamps will become much more important. If you must have a power supply hanging off a streamer or preamp, then the only way to reduce box count is to have a streamer/preamp. If this is the case, then any analogue preamps released will be very high end, and very expensive. Where this leaves standalone streamers, I don't know. Guess we will see.

The way is a cheap streamer transport (Node, Wiim, Primare ...) into a preamp digital input ...

advertisement

Back