advertisement

Is the Metropolitan Police institutionally corrupt?

In which case... which schools should they be embedded in? Just inner city schools in poorer neighbourhoods with a higher proportion of non-white kids?

I'm sure you can see that becomes problematic fairly quickly - though it does seem to be broadly what's happening.

Agreed.
I am not suggesting they should be embedded anywhere, officers in question will have a number of schools within a given area.

Of course intervention will end up being focused upon poorer areas & disproportionately against people of colour. We need better police to combat this but I don’t think school engagement is bad thing if done correctly.

Kids carrying knives etc will end up having contact with police at various points.

In which case... which schools should they be embedded in? Just inner city schools in poorer neighbourhoods with a higher proportion of non-white kids?

I'm sure you can see that becomes problematic fairly quickly - though it does seem to be broadly what's happening.

Like any public provision, delivery can be variable for a variety of reasons. That isn’t acceptable, but it’s been the norm for the last 40 years that I know.

Kids carrying knives etc will end up having contact with police at various points.

Yep - try using a knife-arch at a problematic secondary school. Been there. Done that. Stark results. Parents saying ‘we didn’t know’ etc. Schools suggesting it’s not their issue to police.

In answer to other posts, my view on reassurance and prevention in schools stands. This is based on the aforementioned feedback I received, and the reporting figures and reviews we received and reviewed. Parents in particular welcomed the interventions, and things not being escalated so their child ended up with a criminal record that wasn’t proportionate, legal or necessary.

Incident reporting in schools is ofstead regulated and reviewed, and the figures logged by the dept for education.

We were talking about this general topic at work yesterday, just colleagues chatting. I wondered how you even start to fix an institution so apparently broken as the Met. If it were a business, you could liquidate, start again and re-hire the good people. Can't really do that with the police force as you need continuity of service.

I don't think simple 'reform' will do it. There needs to be radical surgery. So, do you just start up 'Met2, This Time We'll Do Better' while dismantling Met1, and live with the inevitable gaps in service, or what? Wouldn't want to be the new Commissioner tasked with sorting this, at any price. I hope he's getting very well paid (plus considerable personal security as there'll be plenty out there keen to see him fail, or be stopped, by whatever means).

The elephant in the room is that Police Officer is an occupation that attracts a lot of men that have been brought up with, and hold, opinions on women and non-UK nationals that have no place in a civilised society, but police headcounts could not be maintained without them.

LSD too according to the article, 2019-2020. Still, perhaps the "hands on" experience helped him formulate the anti-drug strategy. I agree compared to the crimes of many others this pales.

Herein lies the problem. Does being a policeman attract the wrong people or just turns some of them bad with having to deal with the general public?

There’s no easy answers that’s for sure.
Having held jobs where dealing with the general public was part of it, I would agree that the general public is quite often not to be greatly admired, let's say. I developed quite a jaundiced view, and was glad to move to other things, but I don't think I ever felt in danger of becoming a rapist or a crook because of it. I accept that the police see us at our worst (albeit also sometimes, at our best), but I don't think that's any excuse.

Man jailed for ramming car into Met Police motorcyclist https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-64496303

Still crap out there to be dealt with from the public, as well.

I apologise for not watching that but, as a keen motorcyclist and a former racing marshal (gave up after about 20 years, just had enough of seeing badly hurt riders) I find this sort of thing too much. Subject to that caveat in circumstances like that the criminal should be charged with attempted murder, 4 years, out in 2 is ridiculous.

Having said that, while we expect disgusting behaviour from the worst of society we don't expect assault, rape and murder from those protecting us and we certainly deserve proper answers when it takes 20 years to bring multiple offenders to book. I am sure the vast majority of officers are good people, it's just that there are far too many that aren't, far too many in senior positions like Dick and some of her predecessors should have been kicked out at an early stage and the procedures for policing the police don't seem to work consistently and well. These failures let down the majority of police and create negative views of them among the public. A siege mentality does not help transparency either and the good can feel attacked from all sides.

Hundreds of UK officers should never have been appointed, says police watchdog
HM inspector of constabulary Matt Parr says entrants include those with links to criminality, and misogynists

Parr said his team had looked at a random sample of officers and found that one in 10 should never had made it through vetting.

That “adds up to hundreds of people who have joined the police in the last three years that we don’t think should have”, he said.

[I'd be very surprised if these traits are not identified during initial training. If not the training is unfit for purpose too]

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ever-have-been-appointed-says-police-watchdog

Al Sharpton warns UK could suffer US-style police brutality without deep reform
Civil rights veteran who gave eulogy at Tyre Nichols’ funeral says racism in UK policing could produce similar tragedies

The Rev Al Sharpton has warned that racially charged incidents such as the brutal death of Tyre Nichols in the US will also occur in the UK without far-reaching police reforms.

On the eve of a two-day visit to the UK, the US civil rights veteran said that “systemic racism” and a “culture of policing that produces brutality” must be addressed.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...us-style-police-brutality-without-deep-reform

There have been several other convictions of former officers and staff in the media over the last few weeks.

advertisement

Back