advertisement

Disappearance of Menus in Restaurants

You're mistaken, maybe I wasn't clear enough but now you know.

If that's what you really meant you weren't clear enough as your command of the written word (as we have already established) is woeful. Try and think about what you've written before hitting the post key in future and then you won't end up coming across as an idiot. Hope that helps.

isn't that a bath?

I thought they were a brand of tinned peas.

today-i-learned-5b62cd.jpg

Because little tiny changes to the day to day existence on this planet are worthy of a huge amount of concern ... the big changes affecting millions will take care of themselves, one way or another.

Very few things stay the same for long.
I don’t want to live in a museum. (Even museums have to evolve!)
There was a time when people like me rarely ate in restaurants at all.

I find your response just plain weird.

Very cold out, so I went to walk laps at the Mall of America this morning. Noticed a new Sushi place had opened up. Order from app, meal delivered to table on a conveyor belt.

80-BDDEFE-0-C80-4571-AEC9-8272088-E67-BE.jpg

No clue if the food is any good, but I suspect the novelty will wear off quickly.

Very few things stay the same for long.
I don’t want to live in a museum. (Even museums have to evolve!)
There was a time when people like me rarely ate in restaurants at all.

I find your response just plain weird.

Sorry - I was mildly taking the piss out of the hysteria over what is (at worst) a mild inconvenience.
The last time I ate somewhere that had disavowed laminated cardboard menus I found the experience no big deal, in fact the service was quicker in many ways.
It's just change ... the whole retail sector has undergone a much more fundament shift, and basically most of us just get on with it.

But thereagain, I grew up at a time when 'supermarkets' were considered a shocking Americanism :D

I haven't come across this myself, though I have noticed a couple of places recently where the person taking the order is using a ipad/ tablet.
So these resturants insist that a customer must have smart phone to place an order? Seems odd.
I wouldn't take my phone into a restaurant as I consider it bad manners or poor form to have a phone at the table, I definitely would not tolerate anyone on a phone at my table. Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned in that I see dining or eating out especially with friends or family as a time to converse, catch up, etc.

I think you are quite right, and I sometimes ask people eating at my table to keep their 'phones out of sight and not use them. It is rude and disrespectful towards the person hosting you and towards the social ritual of eating together. Difficult, sometimes, because many people (consumer slaves) have been brainwashed into thinking that it is not only a right, but a duty to have the damned thing always on and always staring up at them them, and telling them when they get an email, an SMS or whatever with little bleeps and farts. Some of the rudest will even glance down at it every 3 seconds while you are having a conversation with them. This is not "change," it is not "progress," it is sheer, brute barbarism foisted as normality by those who want us to buy more and more bits of electronics and not think of anything else. I'm sure if Mr. Samsung or Mr Apple ever invited one to dinner they would not tolerate one clutching a 'phone through dinner. That's for the poor, stupid consumers who made them rich.

advertisement

Back