advertisement

Help me find an amp (with a precise list of specifications)

I've decided to pull the trigger...... and the prize goes to @Furyous :)

I've decided on a secondhand Perraux. It ticked all my specification boxes. The seller was until recently a Boenicke dealer so they know the synergy well. They said the amp would keep up with the demands of the speakers without problem. And it isn't bright sounding.

Added to that, the price was quite a bit cheaper than the other options I was considering . The seller is happy to give me a 14 day trial with a full refund if I don't like it

Can't get fairer than that I say......

And it ISNT BRITISH!!!!!

Thank you to all contributors with their ideas............. now on the hunt for a slimline CD player (see other thread) to maintain the sleek looks :D

I'll be happy to report back on the amp if anyone is interested.
Cool. A big perreaux power amp is on my list to try at some point.

Great choice. The brand has a solid reputation but a low profile on these shores. But they’re properly good bits of kit, and the recent/current integrated models are extremely versatile on features. Interested to see how you get on.

OP doesn’t even acknowledge the recommendations and why they’re being ruled out. I blame the war. They bombed me Grand dad in Malaya.

I’ve just read this thread and can’t ignore this unfortunate comment.
The Japanese army was responsible for unimaginable and unspeakable acts of cruelty during WW2. I have just retired as a GP and during my 30+ year career I was privileged to have patients who as young men were POWs in Burma. The horrors that they and their friends were subjected to stayed with them and haunted them every day for the remainder of their lives. (I’m not saying that cruelty is confined to the Japanese army of WW2, indeed it seems to be a part of the human “condition” with countless instances perpetrated by nations, religions, sects and individuals both before and since the war.)
As it turns out, ex brickie’s reticence about Japanese HiFi is based on perceptions of sound quality and not on other factors, but I’m guessing you didn’t know that. Of course, on an international basis we need to move on, foster international relations and break down trade barriers but individuals can choose where they buy their luxury goods from based not on crass racism but on personal experience and loyalty to the memories of family and friends. As a community, I hope we are mature and understanding enough to respect those choices.

I’ve just read this thread and can’t ignore this unfortunate comment.
The Japanese army was responsible for unimaginable and unspeakable acts of cruelty during WW2. I have just retired as a GP and during my 30+ year career I was privileged to have patients who as young men were POWs in Burma. The horrors that they and their friends were subjected to stayed with them and haunted them every day for the remainder of their lives. (I’m not saying that cruelty is confined to the Japanese army of WW2, indeed it seems to be a part of the human “condition” with countless instances perpetrated by nations, religions, sects and individuals both before and since the war.)
As it turns out, ex brickie’s reticence about Japanese HiFi is based on perceptions of sound quality and not on other factors, but I’m guessing you didn’t know that. Of course, on an international basis we need to move on, foster international relations and break down trade barriers but individuals can choose where they buy their luxury goods from based not on crass racism but on personal experience and loyalty to the memories of family and friends. As a community, I hope we are mature and understanding enough to respect those choices.

Good god almighty. It wasn’t crass racism at all. It was a joke and no harm was intended. I don’t see it. It’s crazy how sensitive people are these days. I’m actually Chinese and my late grand mother is from Nanjing (I’m well aware of the atrocities inflicted). My in laws are actually from Penang, Malaysia. Growing up in the UK I can tell you a thing or two about the racism I’ve had to deal with first hand… and not just banter on an internet forum.

I didn’t say you were racist and apologise if that’s how you interpreted it. I was saying that people shoud be able to make choices without being criticised. I understand that your comments were meant to be light hearted but they struck a cord that for once compelled me to write.

advertisement

Back