advertisement

HAF Home Audio Fidelity DSP

Sloop John B

And any old music will do…
There’s many a mention of this but I can’t find a dedicated thread.

I’ve been using them for a year now

(https://community.naimaudio.com/t/home-audio-fidelity-haf-dsp-filters/13989)

I’ve probably said in the past that in Naim parlance it’s a black box upgrade but in reality it’s greater than that.

And all for a decent fraction of common cable “upgrades”.

One of the main reasons to run Roon or HQP in MHO.

Anyone else here using HAF filters and with what?

.sjb

There is a time and effort involved in getting to understand how to use it and from seeing many threads on various fora there are many pitfalls, opinions and options. Not for me thanks, I’d rather pay a modest sum to have it done for me.

and then there is the knowledge when using the home audio Fidelity filter is that there is an expert involved who notices any potential errors in your measurements etc. and has huge experience as this is what he does all day every day.

Well worth the money I feel.

.sjb

IJohn, you literally measure then hit the ‘EQ’ button, the filters appear with all the parameters you need, frequency, gain, ‘Q’.
Keith

Hi John
I was made aware of HAF by your posts on here or on the Naim forum (can’t remember which) and I’ve used the filters since October.
I’d spent ages fiddling around with speaker placement and arrived at a position which seemed optimum for bass and soundstage but there was a harshness to the sound that I found grating and fatiguing. The initial filters that Thierry (Monsieur HAF) produced took away the bass and the sound was thin and worse than without but he sent a further set of filters for me that were far better and eliminated most of the harshness of which I’d complained. A little while later Thierry sent a further set to try. He said that he was trying to achieve a more “analogue” sound and wondered if I’d give them a go. These did indeed further improve the sound and I’ve stuck with them.
Like you, I found the thought of preparing my own filters daunting and decided to ask / pay an expert to help. They’ve proved that, in my setup, convolution filters are very helpful and if or when I make a change to my system I’ll make sure there’s a way of incorporating them (whether HAF, REW, Dirac or Lyngdorf).
Steve

System:

Euphony 2 box server (Roon (incorporating HAF convolution filters) to Stylus Endpoint) > usb > Teddy Pardo DAC > TP PR1 > TP MB100s > Revel Performa F208 speakers

John,

IJohn, you literally measure then hit the ‘EQ’ button, the filters appear with all the parameters you need, frequency, gain, ‘Q’.
Keith

This literally leaves out like 90% of the details. Ignore.

I was comfortable with taking the time to learn the process, but I'm glad to see that there is someone who offers the service for those who aren't comfortable with it or can't be bothered.

Hi John

System:

Euphony 2 box server (Roon (incorporating HAF convolution filters) to Stylus Endpoint) > usb > Teddy Pardo DAC > TP PR1 > TP MB100s > Revel Performa F208 speakers

I’ve just lately seen mention of Euphony but cannot get a handle on it - what is it and how exactly are you incorporating it into your system?

.sjb

I’ve just re-run my room measurements and upgraded to the head-related transfer function, where you use in ear mics in the measurement process as well as room measurements.

More explanation in this thread

I am surprised at how little this service seems to be used here on PFM as it really amounts to a (relatively) cheap way to improve how your system sounds. If you have Roon it really is such a simple process to implement.

.sjb

I am surprised at how little this service seems to be used here on PFM as it really amounts to a (relatively) cheap way to improve how your system sounds. If you have Roon it really is such a simple process to implement.

.sjb
It's easier to blabla about cables and switches than to actually do smth. I have used the similar function in LMS for some time now. A microphone for 100 euros and free software and the improvement is not subtle.

advertisement

Back