advertisement

I thought collective punishment was illegal

I'm amazed amazed by the precision of the state of Israel when it comes to revenge killings of Palestinians.

Now almost impossible to criticise Israel on a public platform. One of the more important legacies of the anti-Corbyn campaign. Fried a lot of brains.

That hasn't been my experience, as long as one sticks to the state and the politicians. Its when the retards weigh in with their stupid racist tropes that discussion gets shut down.

Not true. Be careful on PFM though.

It has been true for quite some while. I have had discussions about the fact with Jewish friends. Some/many Jews do not accept the fact that criticism of Israel is ant-semitism, BTW.

If memory serves, it is not embodied within statute law, but was in case law and also accepted by parliamment quite a while ago. Again, if memory serves, it was a result of Israeli law changes and international "debate" which effectively branded any country that did not follow the lead, as anti-semitic.

Don't you just love fanatical religion and all that it attracts?

Now almost impossible to criticise Israel on a public platform. One of the more important legacies of the anti-Corbyn campaign. Fried a lot of brains.

Though that was down to the prick retweeting a vile Der Stürmer-grade mural amongst a whole catalogue of leadership errors. It is unwise to blame others for the actions of Corbyn and a very real anti-Semitic ‘Jews = money & capitalism’ thing that riddles the more frothy areas of the left, just as it does the far-right.

It is a shame extremism on both sides has destroyed any real opportunity of discussion regarding the obviously illegal actions of Israel’s far-right government. That one is on Corbyn’s idiot-left as much as it is the vile racist far-right. They managed to legitimise the centre-right shutting down all discussion as they were too thick to articulate their point in a nuanced manner. I’ve had to deal with it endlessly here. I have deleted so many obviously racist/anti-Semitic posts from the left. Literally hundreds. Many whole threads. The underlying point may be valid (Israel is a very violent far-right country, Palestine is an illegally occupied nation etc), but the use of racist terms and scapegoating rhetoric led no option but deletions and even permanent bans.

The point behind this thread though is surely the state of Israel's apparent desire to extract "a life for an eye and a leg for a tooth." When those being punished are fighting back in a (relatively) small way for previous injustices. The UN and Haaretz and others have made this clear yet most western governments still support Israel unconditionally.

advertisement

Back