advertisement

Crossover change

I bet that sounds awesome.
…and I thought I had “ample headroom” using a pair of Adcom GFA-555s on my Isobarik’s woofers

I was sceptical before trying but take great thing about pro-audio companies is that you can try for two weeks and then return for any reason.

Back to the crossover - the frequency settings are very easy to select plus you can adjust the volume for each driver - and this can all be done while the music is playing.

I would avoid Linn's active crossovers unless the newer ones are better designed.

Or Linn speakers altogether. :D
(says he, having owned a pair of Helix IIs in a distant past which can still be listened to at a friend's)

In fairness, the Stinkas did have some positive points. I’m struggling to remember what any of them were though. :D

I suspect it is likely only peoples opinion but when I was looking for a crossover to get my Isobariks up & running I’m sure the reason I ended up with the DBX unit was because the general consensus seemed to be they were the best value / sounding option available for sensible money.

How did you set the filter shape? The DBX is 24db / octave right across the board iirc with only adjustments being to the frequency at which this sharp cut off happens.
Is it a good thing having such steep crossover slopes?

I'm using the 24dB/octave filter shape - you're right, this is the only option with the DBX.

I assumed that as long as the filter was at least as steep as the original, you were OK because the drive units weren't being asked to perform outside their ranges... so have steeper crossover slopes was OK.

It sounds much better than the Behringer which was setup with the 18dB/octave slopes of the original crossover... but you are comparing apples with toasters there :)

Chris

For what it's worth, the end of this story was getting a Naim IXO crossover, newly serviced by Naim, and hence using the manufacturers own design!

Then just using the subwoofer's own filter to merge in with the IBLs by ear.

This sounds lovely :)

Chris

advertisement

Back