advertisement

Tom Verlaine RIP

That's just dreadful to hear. This feels for me the way slightly older pfm-ers must have felt about Jeff Beck. Marquee Moon , alongside Horses, was a seminal records for me - probably more so than anything else the punk/ new wave era produced.

Patti Smith once wrote that he played “ lead guitar with angular inverted passion like a thousand bluebirds screaming.” . That sounds about right.

RIP

Very sad news. I bought Marquee Moon as soon as it came out and saw Television around the same time. The album was perfect for me then, the wired psychedelia, speed and acid sound, and I've never stopped playing it since. RIP Tom.
@kjb love that quote from Patti.

Another shock. Tom Verlaine, together with Television, was a guiding light in guitar based music, like the wonderful track of the same name from Marquee Moon. Now gone out and a loss.

Totally shit news.

I played Marquee Moon until the grooves turned to dust and grew to love Adventure almost as much.

His guitar playing - instantly recognisable - still fascinates me after all these years.

RIP Tom.

Really shocked by this, I can remember buying Prove It 12inch Green Vinyl, then then Marque Moon afterwards. R.I.P.

advertisement

Back