advertisement

Possible replacement for ATC SIACD all in one

@simon g really helpful post thank you.
I could have added a bit more info like budget so here goes.....
The room is only 14 x 12' and music at low to very moderate levels. CD used rarely to be honest so some of the suggestions to find a non-CD option are possible.

The ATC amp is no go - it is a huge beast (I had a version 1 years ago). The benefit of the SIACD is that it is only shoe box wide.

I mainly listen to radio and have a fab Meridian tuner. That's going nowhere. I also use a Minidisc recorder. This is where the SIACD is hopeless - it has no tape out facility . I tried using splitter cables but just wasn't reliable.

My idea was to get the SIACD fixed, hopefully a decent price for it then put proceeds towards (say) an old Uniti. In an ideal world say £1200--£1500 but older Unitis go cheaper (but I need to know about relaiblity and fixability).

Another option is to get a 500 series Merdian integrated and CD player (the CDPs are excellent). However, they are quite old too now and would the only integrated amplifier of the series drive the Boenickes?

There are G series Merdians but they are larger, older ones don't have digital inputs/outputs and I'd need a separate CD player again. But if I'm honest I can make do with a classic £100 (say) Rotel CDP if I get the right amp.

If the SIACD had more inputs and a tape out (2 x RCA) the repair and keep would be a no-brainer. But it doesn't do all I want it to

Thanks for the advice re the Quad not driving the Boenicke - that's what I needed to know.

I'm not looking to upgrade the sound - nor degrade. Just all the functionality I need, power to drive the speakers, and nothing bigger than normal sized amps (big beasts like Musical Fidelity just won't go)

So how about a Meridian option that is reliable, fixable and powerful?
The sia2-100 is 2/3rds width and much smaller than sia2-150

Whether for the reasons @simon g alludes to (power/current) or meeting my needs for inputs and outputs, my investigation into the Meridian 551 rules it out. It has plenty of inputs and a tape out but it is so old it has no digital inputs…..

I think I’m ruling out Quad on the basis that I don’t think it will give the same SQ as my SIACD (or put another way, I’m not buying one blind and taking the chance)

Musical Fidelity is too bulky

Haven’t looked at Primare yet - but if it doesn’t have a CD then it doesn’t have many advantages over any other amp choice (subject to power/current)

My only all in one box option sees to be an old Naim Uniti - with the CD player. I still don’t know which amplifier DNA it has (two different answers on this thread) hence I don’t know whether that amp section compares SQ wise with the SIACD

My imaginative option (I’ve emailed ATC) is to ask whether they can change the pre-out section to a tape out section (they both have the same 2 x RCA sockets). If they can do that so that I can connect a recorder, keeping the SIACD is the no-brainer option.

A bit more research……. The old Uniti seems to be based on the NAIT 5si amplifier. A shame that when you do a search the first things popping up are problems!

A bit more research……. The old Uniti seems to be based on the NAIT 5si amplifier. A shame that when you do a search the first things popping up are problems!

I still use my original Uniti1, still going strong, knock on wood, 11 or so years old now. While the CD player doesn't get used a whole lot anymore, the rest of the unit does, and has given sterling service overall, and I really just love the sound of it, just sounds "right". The only issue that I have had with mine is the evil display. Mine went very dim in about 4 years or so. It was replaced under the 5-year US warranty at the time. The display is still going, I do have it set to only come on briefly, and back off, so hopefully it will last awhile yet. I hear Naim is possibly going to have some updates for the original platform Unitis, not sure what that will be yet, but we shall see.

Regardless, the Uniti is a great piece, but you would be buying a rather old piece of gear. At least the amplifier, dac, preamp, FM tuner portion should go on for quite sometime, the CD player, who knows, and the streamer portion is yet to be seen how much further it will be carried. FWIW....

The old Uniti seems to be based on the NAIT 5si amplifier. A shame that when you do a search the first things popping up are problems!

Not sure if this relate to CD only problems.?
Display will fade over time.

The basic 5i/5Si amp was solid with no real issues to my knowledge.
In fact its a poweramp with passive pre/volume - hence need a bit volume up, not to sound muffled.

advertisement

Back