advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

My 3rd Nordost Frey 2 power lead Just plugged it into my power amp instead of a quite old Russ Andrews lead and I like the change. But as its the seventh Nordost power lead here I had an idea of what I was going to get.

That being said, the perceived improvement is greater with the pre-amp and DAC than with the power amp...

I shall now grab my tin hat and run for the fallout shelter :)

PS: looking forward to getting my dCS Rossini DAC back after the Apex upgrade...

@uncl_nigel I knew you'd like it. :)
Ir's been getting better by the album :)

I got to hear the Vivaldi DAC in Apex version Friday, but unsupported by Vivaldi clock and upsampler... Nice but not as coherent as the Rossini Apex DAC with clock. So I suppose that means that if ever I win the lottery I should get the Vivaldi clock before the DAC :)

Pre owned Belles VT-01 mk1 pre, and just bought and installed a HoerWege power supply in the Auralic G1.
Think I’m done for a while….

I just picked up a Technics SL1200GR TT from Richer Sounds in Reading. Initially sounded dull compared to the magnificent transients from my former Saturn with its unipivot arm, and nowhere near as lovely to look at as wife has pointed out to me. However tweaking around and running-in is working its magic. Apart from the looks, I am a happy bunny. Now need to upgrade the phono stage.

Expecting an Apple HomePod to be delivered today.

Have enjoyed a Mini since Christmas. Used as an alarm clock and Roon endpoint via Airplay.

Took a punt on the Creek Evolution 50A that was in the the classifieds recently. Very glad I did, it's a lovely amp.

Been on the lookout for an integrated with a range of features that suit my needs for a while. Now that I have also added a Sequel mk4 phono board (a very reasonable £120 direct off Creek) this has them all; Tone controls, balance control, excellent headphone amp & a volume control that let's you adjust the volume at low levels without it being a lottery as to what volume level you are going to achieve (so basically any amp with a motorised alps pot).

Now on the lookout for the matching Evolution 50 CD Player, they seem to be rare so may need to be patient.

TS

New HomePod arrived, and was a breeze to set up. Now playing via Roon/Airplay in my office and sounding fab. Pretty remarkable technology IMHO. Seems to me a class leader in sound per pound.

As an audio addict, am already wondering what a 2nd one, paired for stereo, would sound like. :)

KEF Cantor ll's arrived the first week of January and have been playing ever since.
They sound open throughout the mids and smoothly integrate into a seductive top.
Bass might lead some to look for assistance from a sub but, for me, and my room, it is tight and nicely weighted.

They are, amazingly, 40 odd years old but sound better if not equal to the many modern speakers I have tried.

The downside being they look quite tired and dated and are not particularly wife friendly.

Pre owned Belles VT-01 mk1 pre, and just bought and installed a HoerWege power supply in the Auralic G1.
Think I’m done for a while….

Wow you got a superb pre amp there .was very very impressed with texture .in the end i opted for the belles mb monoblocks instead .had the remote been better would have got the vtol1 .well done

Been on a bit of a spending spree recently... KEF Reference 1's, a Gustard R26 and C16... plus a MCRU Linear PSU for the iFi Zen Stream. Some new valves also on their way for the Schiit Freya+
I'd like to say I'm now done for the time being but I'm only fooling myself!

Gustard A26 is on order for me. I will only be using the DAC and probably the headphone functions on it and struggled with the concept of buying a box with more functions that won't be used...but budget limitations and a good review or two swayed me. @Greyandy, if by chance you ever compare your R26 with and without the C16 I would love to hear about it (or from anyone else with a Gustard C18)

Quite a lot of purchases going on here, as I adapt and configure to a new room in a new house.

1. Rega P10/Apheta 3. I should do a proper write up of this compared to the P8 that preceded it (and that I still have). First impressions, now that hum/RF issues have (largely) been dealt with are excellent.
2. Tisbury passive for my 306. I think I could live with this combo, but it's probably destined for a second system. The Tisbury seems very transparent.
3. ProAc DB1s. I should never have sold my Response 1SCs all those years ago, only now I remember more precisely why. Superb things, and work brilliantly in-room.
4. A whole host of speaker stands for the DB1s. I've settled (temporarily) for a pair of Atacama hi-mass things that are at least at the right height, and very solid, if aesthetically bad (the top plates are bigger than the ProAcs).
5. KEF LS50s, almost certainly destined for second system, but I'm going to get them going in the main system this evening.
6. AudioTech TT stand, snapped up on eBay. This is more of a pain to set up than the Sound Org I've had under TTs for over 20 years, not helped by the fact that the spike threads are close to seizing, but I might get it going again.

The P10 should absolutely be on a wall shelf, so that's probably the next thing; but it's going to have to be above a radiator (not ideal), and I'm going to want a pro to install it because the walls here are panel and dot. Also just bought a Supra mains block to replace the Stands Unique one that I've had since 2003.

Big clear-out approaching in the very near future - P8, PMC 25.23s, speaker stands, etc.

advertisement

Back