advertisement

Audiophile Network Switches for Streaming ... really ?

No-one serious about hifi uses measurements alone.

That statement hinges around that last word.

I get the impression that you consider that your product should not be subject to measurements at all...... but then I confess to not having read all the pages of this thread.

................ they just made stuff and sold it and people liked it and recommended it............ No measurements were demanded, people just auditioned. And many of these companies prospered..

That is not my remembrance of the treatment of true hifi products in the market place. Magazines originally had much more rigor than they later came to have and their reviews did go as far as measuring claims for verasity. The manufactures also measured their products as they built them.
All this ^^^ if we are talking about coherent products , amps , tuners , speakers and such. The products that came later to ride upon the back of the hifi wave for a free ride ...products like cables , interconnects , hifi furniture and the like were probably created as you say by people in sheds and just put out into the market place and sold mainly on hyperbole and faith. But that is just my memory of things.

Last edited:
Perhaps you should start a trade thread about it if you want to limit what opinion people can give.

Maybe pay Tony for the 96 pages of free ad you've had from this thread. After all you think it's about your product already ..
You misunderstand entirely and perhaps deliberately. This thread did not start, and my posts have never been about, my switch. You can say whatever you want as many times as you want about switches in general but your now repeated pops at me regarding something I have neither promoted nor described are unwarranted and tasteless goading.
Please get back on topic. I will take out a trade membership shortly and any references I make to my products will be in the appropriate section of this forum.

That statement hinges around that last word.

I get the impression that you consider that your product should not be subject to measurements at all...... but then I confess to not having read all the pages of this thread.
I’m quite happy for anyone to measure anything, I just won’t be doing so myself.

We all know what would happen if measurements of any switch (this thread is not and cannot be about just one) were shared here: there would be assertions anything measured was beneath the audible threshold, assertions the wrong thing had been measured, demands for comparators, etc etc. Same old arguments by people who had made up their minds on page 1 and no graphs or numbers are going to change them!

That is not my remembrance of the treatment of true hifi products in the market place. Magazines originally had much more rigor than they later came to have and their reviews did go as far as measuring claims for verasity. The manufactures also measured their products as they built them.
All this ^^^ if we are talking about coherent products , amps , tuners , speakers and such. The product that came later to ride upon the back of the hifi wave for a free ride ...products like cables , interconnects , hifi furniture and the like were probably created as you say by people in sheds and just put out into the market place and sold mainly on hyperbole and faith. But that is just my memory of things.

Good post. I basically agree about the “accessory” market which has reached frankly insane heights (or depths!). £70,000 cables ffs. Audio jewellery, much of it. I don’t think it’s fair to put audiophile switches in the all-bling-and-hype bucket.

Re men and sheds, I was thinking of say ProAc whose parent company is still Celef and that name came from the Celestion and KEF drivers used. I don’t think they had any idea how big the company would grow. A company which we might refer to as Company LV reportedly started by putting Dali innards in posh (and more substantial) cabinets. There must be others.

Good god please don’t put shiny stickers in it like that Linus tech tips video. I guess they never bothered measuring it either

Perhaps you should start a trade thread about it if you want to limit what opinion people can give.

Maybe pay Tony for the 96 pages of free ad you've had from this thread. After all you think it's about your product already ..
The odd thing is that this thread was started by @beameup it never had anythign to do with @TheFlash . Except he seems to be sitting on top of it proprietorially as though he were the OP, AND complaining that people are personalising it. In any other situation the extraordarily egregious mixtue of attention-seeking and illogic would be remarkable. But it's surprisingly fitting here.

The odd thing is that this thread was started by @beameup it never had anythign to do with @TheFlash . Except he seems to be sitting on top of it proprietorially as though he were the OP, AND complaining that people are personalising it. In any other situation the extraordarily egregious mixtue of attention-seeking and illogic would be remarkable. But it's surprisingly fitting here.
All I have “sat atop of” is a polite request that this is not turned into a personal attack because of my temerity in moving into the trade. Please desist from this bitchiness.

https://www.samaritans.org/

All I have “sat atop of” is a polite request that this is not turned into a personal attack because of my temerity in moving into the trade.
Most impartial observers (in the rational world) would not conclude that your "temerity in moving into the trade" is the issue here, though you understandably feel the need to frame it like that.

Most impartial observers (in the rational world) would not conclude that your "temerity in moving into the trade" is the issue here, though you understandably feel the need to frame it like that.
Why would people feel they are entitled to have a problem with somebody pursuing what they see as a reasonable business opportunity? That's industrial quantities of hubris, right there. As is the presumption that yours is the only rational view, shared by the majority of impartial observers.

All I have “sat atop of” is a polite request that this is not turned into a personal attack because of my temerity in moving into the trade. Please desist from this bitchiness.

But dearest, you made this thread all about your amazing 'switch' discovery pretty much from the outset and have dominated the post count throughout all 97 pages (by a long chalk)

Your feigned surprise that other posters respond to your claims (and copious invitations for cups of tea) with requests for details and your attempts to make out you are some kind of 'victim' are well worthy of an FW accusation of 'butthurt whinging' to be honest.
This has sod all to do with your entrepreneurial ambitions, just the spurious and vague claims that underpin it.

Last edited:
Why would people feel they are entitled to have a problem with somebody pursuing what they see as a reasonable business opportunity?
I was hinting at the possibility that the problem would be something else.

But in any case I do feel entitled to have a problem with anything I prefer to have a problem with. And will do so in the future, of course.

Why would people feel they are entitled to have a problem with somebody pursuing what they see as a reasonable business opportunity?

I applaud anyone with the entrepreneurial spirit and nouse to start a business. I'd love to do the same but wouldn't know where to start.

I've bought plenty of 'shed-built' bits and bobs and I love seeing all the stuff talented folk have on offer in, for example, the traders section of Lenco Heaven.

None of this stuff is a cure for cancer - and the end of the day it's all just toys that people are free to buy or not. All good fun and not to be taken very seriously.

My only observation would be that if you're going into business selling hi-fi foo/accessories (delete as required) you probably need a bit of a thick skin.

If only. Unfortunately there are those who do seem to take it seriously. Therein lies the ongoing problem. Does one try and talk sense to them, or does one adopt the "It's their money" approach?
The ongoing problem is deciding whether the detractors here are qualified to “talk sense to them” which does sound rather patronising by the way. There seem to be no end of internet experts/keyboard crusaders and often those with the noisiest opinions are the most coy about why they consider themselves qualified to “talk sense to them”. That’s not to decry those here with highly relevant knowledge, experience and expertise in the subject, although they seem to take a less definitive stance.

Where does that leave the curious onlooker in this melee of highly opinionated posters. Probably best to try for oneself if really interested with, if applicable, the protection of distant selling regulations. Take note of those here who have genuine knowledge of the technical side (not easy to sort them from the those who just like to make a noise and arrogantly think that the world shares their view).

Whatever our view on something most of us haven’t experienced I hope that we all wish The Flash well in his endeavours.

If he was planning to bring a product to market that improved on the state of the art and was rigorously tested to show a measured improvement in its specified use case I'd be behind him 100%.

But he ain't, so I'm not.

If he brings it to market for a reasonable markup I might change that view, but if its just a piece of boutique bullshit priced accordingly, we'll then....

advertisement

Back