advertisement

Audiophile Network Switches for Streaming ... really ?

For me, a switch was different. “What the hell’s going on here” different. I’ve spent er gosh 4 decades in IT/digital and that might have fed my pre-experiment cynicism. But I do humility too.

I've picked this up late, so may have missed things, but....

My curosity is perhaps focussed vai the comments you made about this not being a "belief" earlier. I haven't read/seen all the details of the test setup, etc, that you did. But the "belief" may be a matter of having heard a genuine 'difference' and then assigning it to something other than the actual cause. To know, we'd need to know more about all the details that may have had an effect which you then concluded were specifally due to the 'switch' itself which you concluded is 'better'.

The reason people do double-blind, make as much as the rest of the setup "common mode" and repeat check, perhaps even use a head-clamp, etc, is to reduce the chance of such problems. Otherwise easy to mis-attribute the cause of an audible change. So may be reasonable to doubt 'surprising' reports.

For me, a switch was different. “What the hell’s going on here” different. I’ve spent er gosh 4 decades in IT/digital and that might have fed my pre-experiment cynicism. But I do humility too.
Others might see this in a different light. You are essentially asking others to accept your claims without any commonly accepted evidence whatsoever. You might call this humility, but many others probably would not use this word.

Others might see this in a different light. You are essentially asking others to accept your claims without any commonly accepted evidence whatsoever. You might call this humility, but many others probably would not use this word.
One day you may be invited to do jury service. Phrases like beyond reasonable doubt may be used. You will hear and see mainly verbal accounts, sometimes conflicting, and will rarely be presented with "proof" of the sort you appear to expect here.
I have provided a witness statement. That's all I can do and it is all I need to do to satisfy the "commonly accepted" definition of evidence.

I shall rest my case and leave you to puff and bluster according to taste. I have no interest in seeking to convince the unconvinceable. I know what happened as I was there and I am neither imagining things nor lying.

OK this is still running on . . . amazing

Anyway, adding fuel to the fire https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/fidelizer-airstream/

You can even have an audiophile 'wireless' connection.

I noticed that site have also reviewed the $3,200 Nordost ethernet switch.

"The physical separation of each of these ports is a critical and unique design element, ensuring minimal crosstalk and interference within the device."

Except by definition they're all connected to a common backplane. Hmm.

Still, it does have the option of a nice $300 stand and leather mat that allows you to fit different supports - $425 'dynamic' titanium or $170 ceramic for 'warmth'...

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Phrases like beyond reasonable doubt may be used.
Certainly. But to me it seems we have a long road ahead before this phrase can be reasonably used.
I have provided a witness statement. That's all I can do and it is all I need to do to satisfy the "commonly accepted" definition of evidence.
This may not be quite enough. You are making some extraordinary claims, needing extraordinary evidence. Indeed, properly testing your observations should be seen as a wonderful opportunity, not a threat.
I know what happened as I was there and I am neither imagining things nor lying.
Heavens! Nobody is accusing you of lying. As for not imagining things this is precisely what should be properly tested - enabling the world to take your witness statements into consideration. Again I would kindly advise you to see this as a beautiful opportunity, a chance to push the envelope of audio knowledge.

Did I read the word head clamp earlier

That's surely not an actual head clamp
It’s a device used to restrain lunatic audiophiles:
220px-Hannibal_Lecter_in_Silence_of_the_Lambs.jpg

:eek:

I was wondering if it was an actual head clamp so you don't move during blind testing.

Because - nothing would surprise me anymore in this hobby

So the Intension is to 'create' a product offering based purely on listening to it, without measuring any effect it might have and calling it good enough.. wow.

How will people feel if someone does a null test on it and finds there's nothing to below -120db?

So the Intension is to 'create' a product offering based purely on listening to it, without measuring any effect it might have and calling it good enough.. wow.

How will people feel if someone does a null test on it and finds there's nothing to below -120db?
I have asked you nicely. Let me do so again. Please do not personalise this to me or target my switch. Given that you have already made your mind up so strongly that no switch can do anything for sound quality, there is clearly no point in engaging in any discussions about design principles or whatever.
I will be happy if people like what my switch does to the sound their system makes. No-one serious about hifi uses measurements alone.

Certainly. But to me it seems we have a long road ahead before this phrase can be reasonably used.

This may not be quite enough. You are making some extraordinary claims, needing extraordinary evidence. Indeed, properly testing your observations should be seen as a wonderful opportunity, not a threat.

Heavens! Nobody is accusing you of lying. As for not imagining things this is precisely what should be properly tested - enabling the world to take your witness statements into consideration. Again I would kindly advise you to see this as a beautiful opportunity, a chance to push the envelope of audio knowledge.

I make no extraordinary claims about anything. I shall leave you to push your own envelope.

Can we change the thread title to
Do not target my switch - it's feeling a bit sensitive tonight
We could. But I'm not entirely convinced that would help. Company and product launch approaches so I have stuff to do and, yes, I'm appropriately excited and nervous.

In all seriousness, it would be a sad indictment if this glorious 96 pages (oh yes!) of wholly enjoyable (hmmm) repartee descended into a last ditch snide pop at a guy who's had the temerity to cross the enthusiast:commercial line. Many well-regarded and now well-established British hifi enterprises started out with a guy in a garage doing stuff he enjoyed and discovering that others enjoyed what he did too. Back in the day there was no such thing as "social" (ha!) media so they just made stuff and sold it and people liked it and recommended it. Or they faded away. No measurements were demanded, people just auditioned. And many of these companies prospered. I would appreciate it if fellow fishies would wish me luck - or if not then leave me alone.

advertisement

Back