advertisement

All purpose cycling thread 2022

I use a pair of these, one front one back.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Bontrager/Flare-RT-Rear-Light/JJ37

There are several reasons, first they are very small but very bright, second they are ANT enabled so when I turn on the Garmin it turns on the lights, third they last for a 5 hour ride no problem and fourth when I had a problem with one it was replaced FOC without question.

I’m sure other brands are just as good but I’d recommend these FWIW.

71km, 950m of climbing, 4 punctures and a crash today. Gravel rash and hanger needed truing. Already feeling stiff.

28mm marathons and some velox rim tape ordered as soon as I got home.

The bog standard Paselas are a lovely grippy ride but the least puncture proof tyres I’ve used since some very sticky and ultra light Schwalbe Ultremos.

i’ll post this on this thread rathervthan the UK bikes thread. My wife very kindly has just bought me one of these for my birthday

https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/intl_en/bmc-roadmachine-amp-three-22.html?___from_store=ch_de

I will use it for commuting on my hilly commute to work. The old legs don’t recover as quickly as they used to so i need a bit of help on the hills.
My wife bought herself an Orbea Gain M30 last year - looks similar and also has the Mahle hub system. It is awesome. Hills hold no fear.

She did Ventoux (1600m climb) almost all on power level 1 - on one charge of the standard battery so she's still putting in plenty of work herself. Impressive bike. It's completely transformed / improved our rides together for both of us.

My wife bought herself an Orbea Gain M30 last year - looks similar and also has the Mahle hub system. It is awesome. Hills hold no fear.

She did Ventoux (1600m climb) almost all on power level 1 - on one charge of the standard battery so she's still putting in plenty of work herself. Impressive bike. It's completely transformed / improved our rides together for both of us.

Yes they are great on the hills, but still ride and handle like a normal road bike. I went for a test ride at BMC HQ in Grenchen and did the Grenchenberg climb which is a 10km long climb with a fairly chunky 900 m vertical ascent and sustained 10% sections. It was great, i was flying up at 18-20 km/h even on the steep parts. Of course you still need to put effort in yourself!

https://www.strava.com/segments/1057882

on the day I did it test ride there was a hill climb event that i rode past and the marshals running the event were rather confused that a middle aged guy was flying up the climb at KOM type speeds!

i was on full power and only used up about a third of the battery on the climb so the claimed 140km range and 3000m climbing looks like it might hold true. There is also a bottle cage range extender which gives a significant boost to the battery so I reckon 200km rides are a possibility with this system.

i am really looking forward to summer and getting out for some day long rides in the hills which I enjoy so much but don’t really have the legs for any more.

And another thing, the bike I tested was the top of the range one with sram force Etap. First time i have ridden with an electronic groupset and my overall impression was ‘meh’.

I couldn’t really detect much difference in shifting compared to the 105 mechanical on my other bike and weight wise, there is no benefit over 105 mechanical. The top of the line bike has an integrated stem too which is not as adjustable as a conventional stem. I decided to pass on spending an extra CHF 2000 for no real benefit and likely less reliability.

And another thing, the bike I tested was the top of the range one with sram force Etap. First time i have ridden with an electronic groupset and my overall impression was ‘meh’.

I couldn’t really detect much difference in shifting compared to the 105 mechanical on my other bike and weight wise, there is no benefit over 105 mechanical. The top of the line bike has an integrated stem too which is not as adjustable as a conventional stem. I decided to pass on spending an extra CHF 2000 for no real benefit and likely less reliability.

I’d like to think that, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Shimano’s offerings are superior. The difference in shifting and build quality between the shimano and SRAM 12 speed MTB groups is night and day. That said, having had Red and Dura Ace in the past, all the 11 speed 105 mechanical groups are amazing and I can’t see how an amateur rider would need anything better.

The first generation 10 speed Red mechanical on my 11 year old BMC road bike has been very reliable and has covered 60,000 km so far. I quite like the shifting on that though i changed the derailleur for a wide cage rival one so that i could fit a bigger cassette. It shifts better than the Red derailleur!

The first generation 10 speed Red mechanical on my 11 year old BMC road bike has been very reliable and has covered 60,000 km so far. I quite like the shifting on that though i changed the derailleur for a wide cage rival one so that i could fit a bigger cassette. It shifts better than the Red derailleur!
Always found that the 10 speed Red front mech shifter needed another 1 or 2 stops for trim, nice group, though.

Similar for me when I tried a mate’s Ultegra Di2, felt detached to me and I have not wanted to move on from my Sora, 9000 and various Campag mechanicals I’m spoiled with.

A pedestrian has been jailed for three years for manslaughter after causing a cyclist to fall over and into the path of an oncoming vehicle whilst riding on a pavement. Apparently, the pedestrian shouted and gestured aggressively at the cyclist who then lost her balance (presumably after losing some speed) and was subsequently killed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-64824436

The thing is, it really bugs me to see cyclists riding on pavements. I don't do it, but unfortunately it's quite common here in Glasgow, especially wrt food delivery riders. But this case shows that challenging a cyclist when they're on a pavement can be extremely dangerous for the rider. I suppose you could only just politely point out as they're passing that they should be on the road when the pavement in question isn't a shared pathway for pedestrians and cyclists alike.

A pedestrian has been jailed for three years for manslaughter after causing a cyclist to fall over and into the path of an oncoming vehicle whilst riding on a pavement. Apparently, the pedestrian shouted and gestured aggressively at the cyclist who then lost her balance (presumably after losing some speed) and was subsequently killed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-64824436

The thing is, it really bugs me to see cyclists riding on pavements. I don't do it, but unfortunately it's quite common here in Glasgow, especially wrt food delivery riders. But this case shows that challenging a cyclist when they're on a pavement can be extremely dangerous for the rider. I suppose you could only just politely point out as they're passing that they should be on the road when the pavement in question isn't a shared pathway for pedestrians and cyclists alike.
Well, its a very tragic & rare case. I have very mixed feelings on this but I do know that some cyclists are very nervous about riding on the road; I believe this is a case whereby the defendant was very unlikeable & rather untruthful. What is interesting is the severity of the sentence (relatively) as incidents where cyclists are killed by drivers are often treated more leniently.

I do a morning walk each day & there is a middle aged lady on an e-bike who rides on the path, she is obviously very nervous of being on the road, today I saw her dismount on a narrow section & push her bike. To be honest I think we have to encourage people to exercise & take active travel options.

Well, its a very tragic & rare case. I have very mixed feelings on this but I do know that some cyclists are very nervous about riding on the road; I believe this is a case whereby the defendant was very unlikeable & rather untruthful. What is interesting is the severity of the sentence (relatively) as incidents where cyclists are killed by drivers are often treated more leniently.

I do a morning walk each day & there is a middle aged lady on an e-bike who rides on the path, she is obviously very nervous of being on the road, today I saw her dismount on a narrow section & push her bike. To be honest I think we have to encourage people to exercise & take active travel options.

Yeah, that's the thing: safe infrastructure. One of my female friends who, like me, is going to be 50 this year, is just too anxious to ride on the road and she just won't do it. The woman who was killed in this instance was obviously getting on a bit at 77 years old so I totally understand why some people prefer riding on the pavement i.e. it's safer. Tragic outcome here indeed, and it shows once again the need for adequate and safe cycling infrastructure.

Yeah, that's the thing: safe infrastructure. One of my female friends who, like me, is going to be 50 this year, is just too anxious to ride on the road and she just won't do it. The woman who was killed in this instance was obviously getting on a bit at 77 years old so I totally understand why some people prefer riding on the pavement i.e. it's safer. Tragic outcome here indeed, and it shows once again the need for adequate and safe cycling infrastructure.
I do think the anti-cyclist media agenda doesn’t help.

A couple of months ago I was standing at pedestrian crossing waiting to cross when a young lad came flying round the corner on the pavement and was totally shocked to find someone standing on the pavement. Luckily he was just able to stop before he hit me. I do hope he has learned a lesson. I do occasionally use short sections of pavement (mainly to avoid busy road sections) on my bike but the pedestrians always get priority with me dismounting if necessary to ensure their safety.

Yeah, any time I do end up on a pavement, like a pedestrianised section of the city centre, I keep my speed below brisk walking pace to make sure I can stop in a heartbeat should the need arise. Interestingly, in that video where the reporter is standing at the spot where the woman was killed some guy on a bike flew past way too fast and without consideration of the other people on the pavement i.e. the reporting crew.

Yeah, any time I do end up on a pavement, like a pedestrianised section of the city centre, I keep my speed below brisk walking pace to make sure I can stop in a heartbeat should the need arise. Interestingly, in that video where the reporter is standing at the spot where the woman was killed some guy on a bike flew past way too fast and without consideration of the other people on the pavement i.e. the reporting crew.
Probably one of the crew;)

I was in Condor Cycles last weekend and the staff were talking about the Moore Large situation, the auction is legit.

advertisement

Back