advertisement

Ideas for suitable (good) pair of wall mounted speakers

mnh

I am in the exciting position of self building a new home this year. The heart of the house will be a medium sized kitchen/lounge/diner. I don't want speakers taking up space on the floor so was thinking of wall mounting just above head height.

Looking for ideas for something around £500 2nd hand with decent SQ. Would be passive. Was thinking of Acoustic Energy AE1 from their reputation but open to ideas.

Also can anyone suggest a wall bracket for mounting that doesnt look c%$p?

thanks

Interesting - I suspect though from the limited depth of the cabinet I would probably be disappointed with the sound.

Where's that pic of the ESL57s built into a wall in a Hollywood home of a Hollywood actress?
I had my Quads setup in my pool room a few years ago but went back to Tannoy’s. The Quads sounded good suspended from the ceiling but I took them down in the spring as that room gets little use once golf season starts. Never got them back up there since.

56AkfW4.jpeg

If you can find them the original Linn Sekrit on walls are very "good" and inexpensive.

I have a pair driven by a spare Klout & Karin for my TV.

Here’s a shot of the Tannoy System 1000’s mounted on the wall. I modified some Target wall brackets and have them screwed directly to the poured concrete wall. I cut out an opening in the drywall and framed out an opening for the loudspeakers. It provides a more solid mount and reduces the amount the speakers extend into the room.
INW3wch.jpeg

MIhQxaZ.jpeg

If you can find them the original Linn Sekrit on walls are very "good" and inexpensive.

I have a pair driven by a spare Klout & Karin for my TV.

+1/ I have a pair of Sekrits outside where our garden table is (hung on a wooden fence) and they are better than they have any right to be. Fed by a £50 Classik Movie DI and with a £25 Yamaha sub courtesy of eBay...

What you'll be wanting is a pair of Mana wall shelves and some SBLs...?

Angled down of course if above head height...which might make for tricky setting up...and perhaps some restraining cables....:p

TBH I'd probably be looking at a pair of studio monitors which can be positioned close to a back wall...or EQ

Edited to add...or maybe design in just a little more floor space to accommodate proper speakers...;)

Last edited:
I'd build the house first.

Before choosing speakers I'd build the house and try some different things rather than commit to a plan which may or may not work. I mean it'll work, but may not sound that great and I'm assuming that if you're spending £500 on used speakers the sound quality is a consideration?

I have a friend who lives in a farm outbuilding conversion, beautiful stone building. He's in IT so he got a really expensive audio system build into the house. Control panels on the walls, turn up the music in the kitchen while you're in the bath, all that stuff. All of the speakers are mounted in the ceilings, there are even speakers in the upstairs hall. So he now has high-tech, multi-room shite sound! And it's built into the damn house so not a lot he can do about it.

ATC-SCM 7’s and the Linn Tukans that preceded them sounded very nice on Sound Organisation wall stands.

dP6e36K.jpeg

Neat Iotas are good. I’ve a pair (not wall mounted), and they sound great. Have read a few reports from some who have them wall mounted. £500 ish second hand would be about right.

alternative option would be Dali who do some wall mount speakers which have a shallower depth - so should look pretty good

advertisement

Back