advertisement

SPU rebuilds, especially the cantilever

I fail to see what is wrong with sending them back to the manufacturer to rebuild? At least it will come back correct and sound like the model it is supposed to be.

There is nothing wrong with sending the cartridge back to the manufacturer if you want the same cartridge back, as I stated earlier, I would like to try something different and Ortofon will not offer me that service. I want to try the Fritz Geiger S stylus profile (as this is the one I really like) with the sonic character of the silver coils. I've had two silver Meister carts now and I feel that a hybrid of the the Royal N / Silver Meister II would be my ideal SPU. I fail to see what's wrong with experimentation.

Mmm. I've not heard any mixed reviews. His work seems to be very consistent and high quality. And he's willing to take on rebuilds that others typically avoid. Like the Dynavector Karats... Seems like an SPU would be a walk in the park for him.

I'm happy to seek alternates, getting the SPU modded if not really a first world worry at this moment in time.

Your last hope would be this guy

https://www.instagram.com/analogtechnik/

He's famous for Neumann DST rebuilds but also claims Koetsu and Ortofon.

I have neither personal experience nor affiliation with... Last time I talked with him, he wasn't keen on any parcels demanding him to go to post office and clear the customs. I doubt he gonna accept any business with the UK customers.

If you're interested in trying different stylus profiles, then Joseph Long might be your best bet. He routinely does that kind of thing. I also follow him on Instagram and it's always fun to check out his work. I've seen him post several SPUs on Instagram and not all of them with standard stylus replacements...

Joseph is indeed interested in experiments. He is in the process of transplanting an elliptical diamond onto a flip-under needle carrier on a ceramic cartridge for me, to replace the (usually below average) conical. Sorry for the O/T, i know this is a far cry from SPU's.

Please post the results here. I'm interested in everything about this. However it turns out. :p

Where did ya end up sending it?

Please post the results here. I'm interested in everything about this. However it turns out. :p

Where did ya end up sending it?

Joseph, and for the cost it works out cheaper than Ortofon, I'll just have to take my medicine if it turns out a complete dog. I'd like to thanks everyone who contributed to the thread, all valid. I'll certainly post how things turn out. maybe in several months when the work has been done and the sonic character of the cartridge settles down.

Another name drop. I have no affiliation or personal experience of his work though.
There is also Dmitry in Vladivostok on Vinyl Engine - his username is Delta667.
There is a (very) long thread of over 880 pages showing a lot of his work.
Search for

"Cartridge Close-Ups - Show Your Shots!"

advertisement

Back