advertisement

Best drummer.. ever?

Always an emotive subject, people tend to go for flashy or loud players. IMV it’s always the more subtle players who are the real stars, they serve the song & make it swing.

Anyone who makes a claim for Keith Moon is an obvious moron;)

Hi Woodywoodface, thank goodness someone's made me laugh. That helps the pain.

It -specifically- wasn't intended to be an emotive subject though. I started it off, 4 words chosen from the off, aiming it NOT to nosedive into banal competitive ' no, yours isn't as good as mine '..

Well putting comparisons aside-

It seems no-one's even watched the clip, maybe at best got 10 secs in, thought 'meh, just another drum solo', then the competitive nature grabs hold.. & a clip of keith flamin moon (being even more moronic than me) put up.

I've created a pfm monster. I think I should be banned for a week. I'll happily be banned for a week mods, in return for my ghoulish 'no, my drummer's better than yours' thread abomination is removed from existence.

Capt.

As someone who was - at one point - one of those flashy ‘chops out’ kind of players, what I’ve learned over the years is that the best drummers often don’t particularly stand out as such. They serve the music first and foremost. Within their numbers, the very best again inject a personality, a character if you will, into their playing that identifies them immediately.

Technique and the like is fine and well, but it’s often at the expense of the music and to my middle-aged ears detracts enormously. I love the technical capabilities of Vinnie Colaiuta, but these days I dislike when he’s pulling out the chops. He is at his best when he’s in full-on music mode: his work with Madeleine Peyroux is impeccably tasty. Steve Gadd is the best example of such a beast: an absolute monster in terms of capability, but has a distinctive sound and sense of timing and feel and dynamic balance that he can sit back and enhance any track he plays on. He’s probably the exception though.

We need to be clear about what we mean by ‘best drummer’ though: nobody can touch the likes of Vinnie for out and out unbelievable technical capability, really, but I prefer Ringo even though he’s often overlooked. Keith Moon was mad, but I quite like his messy approach. Bonham was the best rock drummer, he had a feel most don’t. Jeff Porcaro: sublime. Dave Mattacks: class. But Gadd is the only one I can think of that has the self control at all times to perfectly serve the music. So he’s my number one. And many will agree.

I watched the video…. all of it.
Completely agree that especially at his age, he has a massive talent,more than most adult drummers.
And I’ve not heard of him before, so despite the thread taking a different course than you originally intended, at least one person has heard him that hadn’t prior to your post…..so all is not lost!

He’s got talent. I would like to see how well he can keep that talent on a tight leash. One to watch :)

Always an emotive subject, people tend to go for flashy or loud players. IMV it’s always the more subtle players who are the real stars, they serve the song & make it swing.

Anyone who makes a claim for Keith Moon is an obvious moron;)

Anyone who rubbishes anothers choice ands calls them a moron, is an obvious moron.

For me it would be the likes of Vinnie Colaiuta, Omar Hakim, Dennis Chambers, Dennis Davis. And Steve Gadd, obviously.

Roland_TR-808_%28large%29.jpg

The easiest answer is Art Blakey but much can be gleaned from reading the credits on a Steely Dan or JJ Cale album.

The was a great program a little while ago called ‘On drumming’ presented by Stuart Copeland. The drummer from Red Hot Chilli Peppers demonstrated the complex parts to ‘Tomorrow Never Kmows’, a real eye opener. Lots of morons also don’t rate Ringo, he really made The Beatles swing.

Hi Woodywoodface, thank goodness someone's made me laugh. That helps the pain.

It -specifically- wasn't intended to be an emotive subject though. I started it off, 4 words chosen from the off, aiming it NOT to nosedive into banal competitive ' no, yours isn't as good as mine '..

Well putting comparisons aside-

It seems no-one's even watched the clip, maybe at best got 10 secs in, thought 'meh, just another drum solo', then the competitive nature grabs hold.. & a clip of keith flamin moon (being even more moronic than me) put up.

I've created a pfm monster. I think I should be banned for a week. I'll happily be banned for a week mods, in return for my ghoulish 'no, my drummer's better than yours' thread abomination is removed from existence.

Capt.
As soon as I mentioned Keith Moon it was all over for you;)

advertisement

Back