advertisement

Best drummer.. ever?

Always an emotive subject, people tend to go for flashy or loud players. IMV it’s always the more subtle players who are the real stars, they serve the song & make it swing.

Anyone who makes a claim for Keith Moon is an obvious moron;)

“Best” is always difficult, best guitarist, best drummer etc.
Favourite is probably easier to say. Undoubtedly that lad on the linked clip can play….if he continues to progress, it will be frightening how technical he could get!
Pete Thomas. Superb pop drummer, definitely one of my faves. Clem Burke also knew how to groove a pop song.
Gavin Harrison….a jazz/ Prog rock master.
Steve Gadd for the jazz-rock-pop groove stuff
As woodface has said, anyone who maximises a track, let’s the music & emotion really come out without getting in the way too much,Bernard Purdie also springs to mind, as well as so many real Jazz drummers.
One of the instruments I can just about play, but wish I could really nail.

Ok forget it. Point was to comment on the exceptional talented Dylan Elise.

Point definitely wasn't asking for your favourite drummer! Noooo! Argh. That'd be pointless & utterly, mind numbingly dull ( especially so many likely jazz choices as I loathe 99% of jazz!).

Sorry a mistake. Mods, could you pull the thread? Thx Capt

Anyone who makes a claim for Keith Moon is an obvious moron

Keith Moon was, IMHO, an above averagely, competent drummer. There are assorted YouTube videos of other analysing/ dissecting his technique and demonstrating it is not so difficult to copy.

I haven't yet seen a video of any 'drum teacher' emulating such as Danny Carey (no doubt somebody will now send me an enormous list but you know what I mean).

I seriously envy those people who can not only hold two different timings between the right and left hands but also do much the same with both feet as Dylan is doing here at some stages. When they do this going into irregular timings beyond 2/4 or 4/4 I just sit and watch 'gob smacked'. Drummers are sometimes seriously underrated in a bands make-up.

Mike Portnoy ex Dream Theatre is another of my favourite drummers.

Regards

Richard

Last edited:
Ok forget it. Point was to comment on the exceptional talented Dylan Elise.

Point definitely wasn't asking for your favourite drummer!
Ah, you made a big mistake there. People don’t read beyond the title, and if it contains the words ‘best’, ‘drummer’ and a question mark the ‘must vote for favourite’ button is immediately pressed.

You could have done worse though. If you had titled the thread ‘One of the best five drummers ever?’ you would have had lists of eight or nine, complete with additional ‘honorary mentions.’

Makes me a moron then, cheers!
Potential H-bomb?

Neil Peart.

Oh jeesus. I just have to put myself out of my own misery. I can't do reading someone else write the innevitable name so I'll fkn do it. Its like the riff your not allowed to play in guitar shops. And Im the fkn store owner.

Ah, you made a big mistake there. People don’t read beyond the title, and if it contains the words ‘best’, ‘drummer’ and a question mark the ‘must vote for favourite’ button is immediately pressed.

You could have done worse though. If you had titled the thread ‘One of the best five drummers ever?’ you would have had lists of eight or nine, complete with additional ‘honorary mentions.’

Potential H-bomb?

YES YES I 100% agree MarchyB. Idiotic title. I am the moron.

So please. I can't cope. Pull my thread. Shoot the lame horse. Now!

Keith Moon.

Omg.

Waaaailllwaaaahhhaaaaarghhurrghh !!!

Please, just shoot me. You have the gun mods. Put it to my knackered old horsey head. And pull the trigger already!

advertisement

Back