advertisement

Alternatives to hifi specific "racks"

Although I would broadly agree with Ian, suspended concrete floors are becoming more common. Although far more rigid than a timber floor, there will be some vibration with this type of flooring.

‘Rigid’ is a fascinating word in audio. I’m not suggesting I understand it fully, but I’m convinced many that think they do are just hopelessly wrong. One has to step far beyond what ones hands, eyes, instincts etc tell us and think about how materials function at audio frequencies. To my thinking the ‘more rigid’ something appears in the hand etc the more likely its resonant frequency is going to fall in the audio band. As an example if one bangs a paving stone with a spanner or whatever there is a very distinct ‘ping’. It is ‘rigid’, but it also resinates at quite a high frequency. If I wanted to design a ‘hi-fi floor’ I’d probably go with suspended wood, but I’d very loosely screw the boards to the joists rather than nail them, i.e. apply BBC thin-wall/‘broken bell’ thinking. I think this would keep the resonant frequency very low indeed and below the audio band. It wouldn’t be great for footfall at all, but that only worries certain turntables on certain supports.

Obviously there are many construction techniques with concrete so it is hard to generalise/apply a universal theory, but my instinct is that if I had one I’d probably want to float a wood floor or other layer above it. I’d certainly not spike speakers stands or racks to it. I’d want to isolate the kit from it. A concrete floor and Townsend style isolation may be a very logical approach.

Old IKEA Corras bedside tables. Look quite nice. Solid. On castors. Loads going about.
Cheap as chips. Get two. Side by side if required. Bit awkward though. Tight fit for standard size audio gear .

I have most of my system on a Morris of Glasgow sideboard that my parents bought in 1959. Aesthetically, you can't go far wrong with a sturdy mid century sideboard and, as any hifi enthusiast knows, if it looks good it sounds good. ;)

SIzMJnJ.jpg

https://www.tradefurniturecompany.co.uk/living-room/hi-fi-units

I've got a mango wood (large, tall version) of one of these. Looks the business, so nice we then replaced the rest of living room furniture with matching mango wood. Couple hundred quid and proper wood.

Rather than a stupid amount for the branded hifi stands in a hifi shop.

Looks like they only have small versions atm, but the pic at the top shows a full size one.

EDIT: if it helps anyone. Gap sizes are 48cm wide X 15.5cm tall X 40cm deep per shelf gap.

I have most of my system on a Morris of Glasgow sideboard that my parents bought in 1959. Aesthetically, you can't go far wrong with a sturdy mid century sideboard and, as any hifi enthusiast knows, if it looks good it sounds good. ;)

SIzMJnJ.jpg
Very tasteful, neat, tidy ... lovely.

advertisement

Back