advertisement

Holiday in Iceland

cutting42

Arrived at B4 Hacker Ergo
Hi Fishies

"The Wife" has informed me we shall be visiting Iceland this year, probably summertime for a holiday. This is partially my fault as whenever she has asked where shall we go on holiday in previous years, I answer either New Zealand or Iceland. Well I got pre-empted so now I have to plan and present my proposal.

Any pfm'rs been, suggestions, must do's, what to avoid etc. I know it is very expensive to drink adult beverages but apart from that I don't know much.

Thanks

One of my kids was there a few years ago, eyewateringly expensive he said, he booked a northern lights cruise thing think it was 100 euros or something, everything was a hundred euros that hot spring thing too and some blue cave thing, all 100 euros, beer was like a tenner a pint even in supermarkets it was expensive.

I think him and his mates ate in a restaurant once cause they couldn't afford to go any more times.

Even MacDonald's was something like 20 euros for a Big Mac.

Did a 5 day 300km mtb self supported stage race back in 2007 based in/around the landmannalaugar mountain range, utterly fantastic scenery and the experience and sights/scenery and discomfort/exertion are imprinted on me for life - soaking in a hot spring after a 50km/8hr ride/hike/scramble was bliss whilst camping out at night underneath a kaleidoscope northern lights was definitely worth all the agony, , definitely not a place to **** around in though as it is very otherworldly and unlike anywhere else, only spent 7 days total in the country and it’s my one regret that I didn’t return for a more leisurely/enjoyable holiday to explore the other highlights.

We went over 20yrs ago, my mate went 2 months ago..
Very expensive but just do the usual tourist things (not that there’s much more to do)
Blue lagoon, waterfalls, golden circle tour, glaciers tours..aurora spotting..

I've not been but a very few friends have.
Scenery/geology and wildlife (at the correct time of year arctic wildlife is breeding - fantastic for any birder), are what anyone should go for.
Some friends went to see the northern lights but the weather is unpredicatable when they went - sometime during the short days as it was less expensive (almost said cheaper there) - saw nothing but the inside of the accomodation.

Had a long weekend there pre-covid. As others have said, stonkingly, scarily expensive but save up and make the most of a surreal, beautiful, friendly country like no other.

The coach trips are expensive, but with it for hearing about local history and folk lore, even if you don’t like horses, visit a horse farm to hear about the unique Icelandic horses, the small museum in Reykjavik is with a visit, plus the famous church - in fact just walking around the town for a half a day is worth it. Forget about drinking beer, but do try the Icelandic lamb stew. Will add anything else that comes to mind. We loved it and will go back sometime.

Oh - and marvel that all the 20-somethings speak English with a Manchester accent. Seems they learned by watching Coronation Street!

School friend of my daughter went and was disappointed with some of the stuff there. Especially the Blue lagoon - over rated. Pictures look amazing - the reality is that it is crowded with people, surrounded by ugly buildings and next door to an even uglier power station! Expensive - but then so is everything.

Hi Fishies

"The Wife" has informed me we shall be visiting Iceland this year, probably summertime for a holiday. This is partially my fault as whenever she has asked where shall we go on holiday in previous years, I answer either New Zealand or Iceland. Well I got pre-empted so now I have to plan and present my proposal.

Any pfm'rs been, suggestions, must do's, what to avoid etc. I know it is very expensive to drink adult beverages but apart from that I don't know much.

Thanks
How long for?

Been there for work nearly 20 years ago.. Spent much of the time in a Reykjavik hotel. I had intended going back last year as my first holiday without Heather. She had never been keen on Iceland, she definitely preferred somewhere warmer.

My bike accident in March put paid to my plans for a self drive tour. I thought that was an interesting idea. Accommodation pre-booked and make your own way round the island, (much bigger than you think). The ability to stop where you want especially as I wanted to take pictures with my new camera was attractive.

My holiday plans still on hold as I'm still waiting to find out what is causing my on-going breathlessness. However Iceland is still on the agenda once the medics have an answer and I can get insurance again.

Hello - we went for about a week in May last year, and drove along the south coast, staying in Vik (Hotel Kria) and in Hof (Fosshotel Glacier Lagoon), before returning via Thingvellir to spend a night in Reykjavik. Both hotels were excellent, albeit expensive.

Most of the superlatives you read about Iceland are deserved. The landscape is truly sensational - just driving along the road you will pass over innumerable rivers that wind their way from the rugged high ground down to the sea;

or along beaches where the tide has receded;

I found the quiet and elemental beauty of the landscape to be very uplifting - possibly because it was our first proper holiday post-Covid - and we enjoyed ourselves most by going off the main roads and exploring some of the smaller tracks and places.

However, here follows a little on the more well-known tourist attractions. On the way to Vik, you can see the famous Skógafoss waterfall - more often than not, these kinds of places have been degraded by mass tourism, but here they still seem to retain an elemental power. From Vik, you can go to the famous black sand beach (Reynisfjara);

and see the puffins at Dyrhólaey;

From the Fosshotel, you can drive to Fjallsárlón and Jökulsárlón, where large chunks of ice are breaking off glaciers and accumulating in lagoons before drifting down to the sea;

At the sea, the ice breaks into small chunks on Breiðamerkursandur;
Breiðamerkursandur by Tantris88, on Flickr

The whole area around Jökulsárlón is breathtaking, and we could easily have spent more time here. You can also drive on to interesting hamlets like Hali, where we had one of our best and least expensive meals (at the Þórbergssetur), and I got to know a little about Þórbergur Þórðarson.

We only scratched the surface of Iceland, and intend to return for a more extended visit, to see more of the interior and the northern and western coasts. We did find the place very expensive, but simple things like bringing a thermos flask to fill with coffee from the hotel, and using supermarkets to buy sandwiches rather than going to restaurants for lunch, will save you a meaningful amount of money! We found Reykjavik less interesting, and even more expensive - I ended up buying an Icelandic jumper in the Red Cross shop, which was significantly busier and friendlier than the main shops! I hope this is helpful, and that you have a great time :).

What do you want to do there? This dictates what will be attractive. I went there in the 90s for a XC ski holiday, I had a great time but I've got no burning desire to return. Conversely a mate at work is married to a woman of Icelandic descent and they go regularly, having a great time. They don't do any of the outdoorsy stuff that you might imagine to be the first port of call.

once had long weekend (4 days) there. Whilst the scenery is very engaging, ultimately, we found it rather boring, very expensive and almost characterless. My wife described it as Dubai in the cold.

advertisement

Back