advertisement

Faster than light?. . .

palindrome

Thru a hedge, backwards and forwards.
Cross-threading here; after watching the vid put up by Tony in the twit-musk thread, this vid popped up at the end:

Maybe its been posted before, in which case I missed it, but at the risk of double-crossing threads (see wot I did there?) and annoying peeps in the 'Ghastly Expressions. . .' department - mind blown.

John

I did not watch it all, but hopefully they mention Dopler shift - presumably how they calculate the actual distance, from the speed that it was travelling?

Spoiler alert!

She points to the dichotomy/paradox of how our perception of FTL does not contradict Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity; that light itself appears to behave in strange ways; and that these perceptions are (mainly) due to the universe expanding. There's more, but at least that's my (very limited) understanding from watching the vid once. I'll watch it again as it really is worth the time to try and wrap the head around what she is saying.

John

Expansion that's faster than the speed of light is one of those things that blows your <reverb> mind </reverb>, as it's so counterintuitive to everyday experience. But my understanding is that it's not that distant galaxies are moving through space faster than light. It's that the expansion of the universe increases the space between galaxies, so the farther a galaxy is away from us the greater the rate of spatial expansion until the expansion itself is faster than the speed of light.

Or maybe I have this wrong. I studied ecology and evolution, and this topic is very far from my courses on squirrel and chipmunk behaviour.

Joe

I understand that space itself can expand at a rate faster than light, but that matter cannot travel within space faster than light. That's how I view it, anyway.

The key question is really whether the transfer of meaning information can break the speed of light limitation. It's never been shown as far as I know...

A trivial example of faster than light is to take a torch, point it at one star, then swing it to point at another. The (very faint) illuminated area crosses however many light years between the stars in a second or so. However, nothing travels from one star to the other, and the inhabitants of a planet round the first star can't use the beam winking out to convey a message to the other star.

ask Nomad

dc3e6bc3c96f06a0165552cd4a64d961.jpg

Expansion that's faster than the speed of light is one of those things that blows your <reverb> mind </reverb>, as it's so counterintuitive to everyday experience. But my understanding is that it's not that distant galaxies are moving through space faster than light. It's that the expansion of the universe increases the space between galaxies, so the farther a galaxy is away from us the greater the rate of spatial expansion until the expansion itself is faster than the speed of light.

Or maybe I have this wrong. I studied ecology and evolution, and this topic is very far from my courses on squirrel and chipmunk behaviour.

Joe
Is the correct answer

Bob,

I'm glad I didn't sleep through those chipmunk behaviour courses. The best was the class on whether you can you teach a chipmunk to play a peanut as though it were a didgeridoo.

51376478711_995041a582_c.jpg

Joe

There was an old woman called Florrie
Who had a mouth as big as a quarry
She opened it wide
And there right inside
Was some bloke backing out in a lorry

Next. . .

John

advertisement

Back