advertisement

Returned home with these Quad II monos today. The seller had owned them new since 1963! Also got the 22 pre and FM1 mono tuner. Original valves too:

qTf9Gpi.jpg

I’ll be asking Rob at Amplabs to give them a full overhaul, new sockets (IEC & RCA) and perhaps a respray as there’s some rust type marks on them. Really enjoying some Sinatra vinyl of similar vintage via this classic system this evening.

Last edited:
Returned home with these Quad II monos today. The seller had owned them new since 1963! Also got the 22 pre and FM1 mono tuner. Original valves too:

qTf9Gpi.jpg

I’ll be asking Rob at Amplabs to give them a full overhaul, new socketrt and perhaps a respray as there’s some rust type marks on them. Really enjoying some Sinatra vinyl of similar vintage via this classic system this evening.

Wowser! Very nice. Unless the marks are really disfiguring I'd be inclined to leave the paint as-is. Like they say - it's only original once!

Part one of living room refurb.

Moved system to long wall (a 90 degree spin), new tv cabinet (tv away being repaired), fireplace/old gas fire to come out (just blanking it off), old surround system to be revamped, maybe just to a sound bar initially, new window, new sofas, flooring, lighting etc.

769-A00-E8-6-FC2-4-DAC-ABF4-5-CC64-CF5-EBDE.jpg

Just to add, as simple as it gets, a Chromecast Audio, run off a battery charger, into a Tisbury passive pre, Quad 306 power, Spendor S3/5R2, playing Spotify, controlled with IPhone. (BK Electronics XLS200 sub., not in use at the moment).

Last edited:

qTf9Gpi.jpg

I’ll be asking Rob at Amplabs to give them a full overhaul, new socketrt and perhaps a respray as there’s some rust type marks on them. Really enjoying some Sinatra vinyl of similar vintage via this classic system this evening.

Amazing! Do they have the original output valves still working happily after 60 years? Puts the lifetime of modern valves to shame.

Amazing! Do they have the original output valves still working happily after 60 years? Puts the lifetime of modern valves to shame.

Yes, all valves for both amps are the originals supplied in 1963. They’ve been tested and are still ‘good’. The monos are mechanically perfectly silent too - even with my ear an inch away from the transformers - unlike the IAG/Quad II Classic monos I had 2 years ago, which were brand new (not 60yo!) and buzzed from the listening position…

The monos are mechanically perfectly silent too - even with my ear an inch away from the transformers
Yes, mine are completely silent too, both transformer and from the speakers, without a signal. This was my biggest surprise with these old amps. I have not heard any modern tube amp that is as quiet.

An updated picture of my humble stack, with the new old preamp made by Quintessence Group, from 1975. A short-lived but well-reviewed company from Sacramento, California. They also made a power amp and equalizer. From what I've been able to gather online, they went out of business in the course of the founder getting divorced.

HaIgYDN.md.jpg

Shame about the nick in the sleeve; I may try to re-veneer it at some point.
HaI87NS.md.jpg

Closeup of the preamp innards. Circuit design seems to be interesting to those who know about such things. Opamps and whatnot. All I know is it sounds great.
HaIUdpp.md.jpg

Some ephemera that came with the preamp;
HaIrXrg.md.jpg

No pictures of the Sonus Faber Concertino speakers in situ yet, as I'm awaiting stands (the ones I ordered were unmitigated garbage so back they went).

System
by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Thorens TD-160 with Maple Plinth

Marshall Choong CM2

Most bits I've had for ages now but speakers are stopgaps (Marshall Chong CM2) while I slowly sort out the DIY speakers, hence the various bits lying around and using a pair of Ikea tables as stands as I have not found a pair of Target R6s. There is also the Thorens TD-160B in a new Maple plinth, almost finished although this is a side project to the P7 on the wall.

Yamaha CD-NT670D (Spotify/Internet Radio/Musicast)
Sony DVP-S9000ES (CDP)
Rega P7 / AT33PTG/II / Ray Samuels F-117 Phono
Bryston B60R
Marshall Chong CM2
Castle Classic Sub

I enjoy them very much, I bought them without listening first. It took a bight of time to get used to as a BBC-Monitor because the voices are in one frequency range a bit darker and they are in general a bit more colored but the rest is so fantastic, emotional engaging, vivid and 3 dimensional that I think it is worth in trade in. There is no perfect speaker or other component and this is a real exceptional speaker to me.

advertisement

Back