advertisement

External CD Drive for ripping

Netley

pfm Member
Hello

I still rip CDs a lot, to a Mac

I currently use an LG drive, and it works fine but it's plasticy, fiddly to use and just completly unsatisfting. The Apple superdrive doesn't work without being connect direrct to the Macbook Air and I don't have a spare port (it doesn't work through a docy even a shiny new powererd hub).

So, I'd like a better option

I've seen this
https://www.audiodestination.co.uk/...duct&product_id=4269&language=en&currency=GBP

and frustratingly missed @mikechadwick sale of same

Does that work, are there others (ie solid, reliable not nasty & plasticky)

Yes, that's the sensible solution but fiddly - and I don't want it to be a two-handed job. That other one might be worth a look, ta

I ripped all of my CDs using a full-size drive mounted in an old USB2 to IDE/PATA external drive box. A noisy mains powered thing with a fan within ('twas also suitable for IDE HDD use), but it satisfied my OCD aversion to pushing my beloved music CDs through a slot, or clipping/unclipping them on/off the hub of a laptop optical drive based USB powered jobbie.

...it works fine but it's plasticy, fiddly to use and just completly unsatisfting...
I think you are going to have explain exactly how using a drive which works for CD ripping is anything less than satisfting.

Your audience is baffled.

Last edited:
You audience is baffled

Why? The current drive is cheap plastic that has an annoying button that doesn’t work every time, and then it fires out like a cannonball. You have to manipulate the disk in, then close the flimsy tray.

For those whose experience with hi-fi is only defined by the purity of sound irregardless of experience then I am a shallow man. But I would like a better experience than the plastic LG drive. And who knows maybe the rips themselves could be 0.001% better.

And who knows maybe the rips themselves could be 0.001% better.

If you use decent ripping software your rip should be verified against the Accuraterip database. If it is verified successfully there is no possibility that it is better than any other rip similarly verified.

Can you rip your blu rays or do you need a degree in computer sciences?
I did rip them.
If I remember right, you first have to make a backup (not mkv file) using something like makeMKV then rip from the backup using something like DVD audio extractor. If dealing with DVDs you just apply the second stage to the disc itself.

If you use decent ripping software your rip should be verified against the Accuraterip database. If it is verified successfully there is no possibility that it is better than any other rip similarly verified.

Yes..I use dBpoweramp..and it doesn't always say Accuraterip, but who knows

You will only get an AccurateRip result if other people have ripped that CD using dbpoweramp. So early CDs or minority interest music may not be in the database.

Bit OT but is there any decent software out there that will just automate everything apart from actually putting the discs in?

One handed, I've used a £10 DVD/ cd burner portable drive to rip hundreds of cds that once I'd initially confirmed I was getting accurate rips( as above)I trust enough. I got around the flimsiness and need for 2 hands by blutacking it to the desktop....

advertisement

Back