advertisement

New ‘high end’ Rega item?

No, I mean the "Naia" as referenced towards the end in this video interview with Roy Gandy. I'm well aware of the Naiad as I'd love to hear / own one! :) Obviously, the turntable name may change and think that's likely, but who knows.
According to the Wikipedia, the etymology of the word naiad indicates that it is derivative of naias, with naiades being the plural, so dropping the 's' and going with naia makes sense and should therefore stick.

In Greek mythology, the naiads (/ˈnaɪædz, ˈneɪædz, -ədz/; Greek: ναϊάδες, translit. naïádes) are a type of female spirit, or nymph, presiding over fountains, wells, springs, streams, brooks and other bodies of fresh water.

They are distinct from river gods, who embodied rivers, and the very ancient spirits that inhabited the still waters of marshes, ponds and lagoon-lakes such as pre-Mycenaean Lerna in the Argolis.

Etymology
The Greek word is ναϊάς (nāïás, pronounced [naːiás]), plural ναϊάδες (nāïádes, [naːiádes]). It derives from νάειν (náein), "to flow", or νᾶμα (nâma), "running water"​

According to the Wikipedia, the etymology of the word naiad indicates that it is derivative of naias, with naiades being the plural, so dropping the 's' and going with naia makes sense and should therefore stick.

In Greek mythology, the naiads (/ˈnaɪædz, ˈneɪædz, -ədz/; Greek: ναϊάδες, translit. naïádes) are a type of female spirit, or nymph, presiding over fountains, wells, springs, streams, brooks and other bodies of fresh water.

They are distinct from river gods, who embodied rivers, and the very ancient spirits that inhabited the still waters of marshes, ponds and lagoon-lakes such as pre-Mycenaean Lerna in the Argolis.

Etymology
The Greek word is ναϊάς (nāïás, pronounced [naːiás]), plural ναϊάδες (nāïádes, [naːiádes]). It derives from νάειν (náein), "to flow", or νᾶμα (nâma), "running water"​

I have to say that's the strangest piece of philological argumentation I've come across in a long, long time

with naiades being the plural, so dropping the 's' and going with naia makes sense and should therefore stick.

A #P50 would be logical numbering whatever deck they release.
Rega 50 logo already seem to be on their web.

Perhaps they even come up with "ai" deck to match io amp.

Perhaps they even come up with "ai" deck to match io amp.
I wouldn't mind if Rega came up with a IO dac (instead of 'ai' deck) to match the IO amp! :)
Just take the IO's case, skip the volume knob and...well, there ya have it. :cool:;)
Rega-IO-DAC-prototype.jpg

Still, it's indeed more likely Rega will come up with a beautiful TT, somewhere between the P10 and Naiad. (or a P50, just like the P25)
Time will tell...

Replacement for Osiris? Everything else has a new look now.

I agree, in fact even fitting the Osiris guts into a new chassis as a mk2 would be a nice upgrade from my perspective especially when you consider the recent new versions of their amps.

I think the red display appears some what dated (but not a deal breaker) in 2023 but hey a new version may see some originals coming onto the 2nd hand market at an affordable price(for me anyway:D).

@wow&flutter - Interesting, I really like the red LED logo as it stands out against all the the other manufacturers.
@per flemming - I'm a big fan of the Osiris and any development on that score would be very interesting.
@Alco - Agree, a stand alone DAC I'm sure would be welcomed by many.

:D
@wow&flutter - Interesting, I really like the red LED logo as it stands out against all the the other manufacturers.
@per flemming - I'm a big fan of the Osiris and any development on that score would be very interesting.
@Alco - Agree, a stand alone DAC I'm sure would be welcomed by many.

The red display reminds me of old Texas Instrument calculators from the seventies so maybe that’s why it looks a bit old school to me. ( I was in school in the 70’s and had one):D.

Developing the Osiris would be great but I suspect improvements would be costly possibly taking it to a level not in keeping with Rega’s “value” philosophy but as a flagship model, what the hell:D.

Rega did respond on here when asked about an replacement for the dac-r, from memory they felt (at the time) that digital kit was now coming with high quality dacs inside so there was little requirement for one.

A streamer is an omission from their range at present so would most certainly be welcome.

Rega are one of the few audio manufacturers I have bookmarked on this device and for good reason:D, British and keeping it real!

I think they should trim down their record player range, keep p1, p3, p8, p10, Or to make the lower and mid range look different.

They could launch a streaming record player with built-in amp.

The red display reminds me of old Texas Instrument calculators from the seventies so maybe that’s why it looks a bit old school to me. ( I was in school in the 70’s and had one).
I've still got my red LED TI-30 "Electronic Slide-rule Calculator" in its faux denim case and original box within my bottom dresser 'archive' drawer.

Always had to make sure to have a spare 9V battery along with these.

The Rega Ear is 2 or 3 case design updates behind PSUs and phono amps, so is well overdue a refresh (assuming they still want to make one)?

advertisement

Back