advertisement

Blue Note Classic Vinyl Reissues

Evolution is blooming wonderful isn’t it? Not heard it before. Sounds later than 1964 in terms of how “progressive” it is (I mean that in the best possible way).
I have passed on the Classic Point Of Departure as I have an 80s US pressing which sounds great. So please stop banging on about it! Haha.

I've hardly got Evolution off the TT to get PoD on, apart from a cursory first listen, it's incredible.

Evolution is blooming wonderful isn’t it? Not heard it before. Sounds later than 1964 in terms of how “progressive” it is (I mean that in the best possible way).

Grachan Moncur generally has that kind of influence on proceedings. Are you familiar with Archie Shepp’s The Way Ahead? Highly recommended - with an interesting version of Moncur’s Frankenstein. The CD version also includes another composition of his, New Africa. Very interesting composer and arranger.

I said it a while back, but Archie Shepp deserves his own Impulse reissue series. Been recently listening to On This Night with an absolute stellar line up - Ed Blackwell, Joe Chambers, Bobby Hutcherson, Rasheid Ali, Henry Grimes, J.C. Moses........

Grachan Moncur generally has that kind of influence on proceedings. Are you familiar with Archie Shepp’s The Way Ahead? Highly recommended - with an interesting version of Moncur’s Frankenstein. The CD version also includes another composition of his, New Africa. Very interesting composer and arranger.

I said it a while back, but Archie Shepp deserves his own Impulse reissue series. Been recently listening to On This Night with an absolute stellar line up - Ed Blackwell, Joe Chambers, Bobby Hutcherson, Rasheid Ali, Henry Grimes, J.C. Moses........
Will check those titles out. So much great jazz!

Grachan Moncur generally has that kind of influence on proceedings. Are you familiar with Archie Shepp’s The Way Ahead? Highly recommended - with an interesting version of Moncur’s Frankenstein. The CD version also includes another composition of his, New Africa.

Thanks Graham. Another one for the list.

Also now spinning my 80s POD and can see why it was paired with Evolution in the Classic series. Boundary pushing stuff for the time.

Classic Vinyl Reissue Series – 2023 Release Schedule:

January 20, 2023 – The 70s
February 17, 2023 – Hard Bop
  • Jackie McLean – Bluesnik (1961)
  • Horace Parlan – Speakin’ My Piece (1960)
March 17, 2023 – Post-Bop
  • Herbie Hancock – Empyrean Isles (1964)
  • Sam Rivers – Fuchsia Swing Song (1964)
April 21, 2023 – Hidden Gems
  • Dizzy Reece – Star Bright (1959)
  • Johnny Coles – Little Johnny C (1963)
May 19, 2023 – Bebop
  • Miles Davis – Volume 1 BLP 1501 (1952-53)
  • Fats Navarro – The Fabulous Fats Navarro, Vol. 1 BLP 1531 (1947-49)
June 16, 2023 – The Rebirth
  • Robert Glasper – In My Element (2006)*
  • Madlib – Shades of Blue (2003)*
July 21, 2023 – Soul Jazz
  • Ike Quebec – Heavy Soul (1961)
  • Lonnie Smith – Turning Point (1969)
August 18, 2023 – The Avant-Garde
  • Anthony Williams – Spring (1965)
  • Cecil Taylor – Unit Structures (1966)

Thanks for posting Graham. Only have the Parlan, Coles and Taylor on nice earlier pressings so guess I’m in for the rest. Assume there’s a TP schedule due soon?

Interesting that BN are choosing to release titles as part of this series that were only fairly recently reissued as part of the BN75 series.

Still holding out for a BN Classics release of Donald Byrd - Stepping Into Tomorrow. Only reissued once on vinyl since it was released in 1975... :(

I love Horace Parlan his music is rare and quite expensive though the only record of his I've been able to get hold of Speakin My Piece which is typical seeing as it's the one they are reissuing.

Great to see San Francisco reissued - that's a fantastic record.

Glad you said that - one of the few Hutcherson's I'm not familiar with. Soon to be remedied.

Nice to see Cecil Taylor, Tony Williams and Sam Rivers - all top drawer stuff IMO. Lonnie Smith's Turning Point is another great record, for those partial to a bit of soul jazz Hammond.

Assume there’s a TP schedule due soon?

Dec 15th I believe.

Bit of a mixed list for me that is in some ways a good thing as it saves on money and space.
I’m able to pass on 7 as I have the Music Matters 2x45rpm of 5 of them (and some in other 33/3 pressings as well) plus 2 others in excellent early mastering pressings so really don’t need another version. There are some great real’Classics’ there though for those who don’t have decent copies. I would certainly add the Horace Parlan and Johnny Coles to those Graham mentioned.

For me personally I think I can safely pass on the Grant Green, Robert Glaspar and probably Madlib. Definitely in for Tony Williams - Spring, Ike Quebec - Heavy Soul, Dizzy Reece - Star Bright (but would have preferred Blues in Trinity), Bobby Hutcherson- San Francisco (but would have preferred Happenings or Components. Hopefully Dialogue will still make it as a Tone Poet.) Pity Spring and Unit Structures are not Tone Poets. I might have gone for Unit Structures if had been even though I have a good early copy and a BN75. I can probably see why as the ‘more out there’ for some have not sold that well if the recent reductions in the price of the Coleman Box are anything to go by. I’ll probably upgrade my copy of Empyrean Isles as the BN Classic Of Point Of Departure was really worthwhile over the two copies I had as was the previous Maiden Voyage Issue.

I probably will get the others as well after further reviewing other copies or a streamed version. Pity Miles Davis Vol 1 was not a double with Vol 2 (its Vol 2 I want) as these were both 10” originals and they did this with the Herbie Nichols pair. So will probably end up with 6 or 7.

https://www.bluenote.com/classic-vinyl-reissue-series-2023/

Classic Vinyl Reissue Series – 2023 Release Schedule:

January 20, 2023 – The 70s

February 17, 2023 – Hard Bop

March 17, 2023 – Post-Bop

• Herbie Hancock – Empyrean Isles (1964)
  • Sam Rivers – Fuchsia Swing Song (1964)
April 21, 2023 – Hidden Gems

• Dizzy Reece – Star Bright (1959)
  • Johnny Coles – Little Johnny C (1963)
May 19, 2023 – Bebop

• Miles Davis – Volume 1 BLP 1501 (1952-53)
  • Fats Navarro – The Fabulous Fats Navarro, Vol. 1 BLP 1531 (1947-49)
June 16, 2023 – The Rebirth

• Robert Glasper – In My Element (2006)*
  • Madlib – Shades of Blue (2003)*
July 21, 2023 – Soul Jazz

• Ike Quebec – Heavy Soul (1961)
  • Lonnie Smith – Turning Point (1969)
August 18, 2023 – The Avant-Garde

• Anthony Williams – Spring (1965)
  • Cecil Taylor – Unit Structures (1966)
*mastered from a digital source

Thanks for the update.

I notice that Amazon’s pre-order prices have gone really high on these, as high as £31 on the two February releases.

I’m sure they will come down a bit before release, but I think I might have to start buying these elsewhere!

I might have to start buying these elsewhere!

I've started giving Juno a much larger share of my new record purchases since Amazon stopped using record mailers last September and started sending the records out in paper bags. I've had at least 10 come in bags, 2/3rds of which, unsurprisingly, had creased corners. Numerous complaints haven't made an iota of a difference. Even the replacements come in paper bags! Asking for the package to be sent in Amazon packaging or send as a gift has also made no difference. Thoroughly sick of Amazon now.

Thanks for the update.

I notice that Amazon’s pre-order prices have gone really high on these, as high as £31 on the two February releases.

I’m sure they will come down a bit before release, but I think I might have to start buying these elsewhere!
I tend to wait a couple of months after release (unless I fear I’ll miss out (like the Chet Baker Sings - Doh!)) — usually the Amazon price will drop significantly after a short while. Just bought a Tone Poet for £18 last week. If I really do want it on release date, then Juno do seem to offer the most sensible prices.
FWIW I do get all of my Amazon records in mailers (Unless they’ve come from Europe curiously) but I am a Prime member — perhaps that makes a difference?

advertisement

Back