advertisement

Storage options during renovation / extension

evand

Just press play
I need to start getting ready to store some of our household goods outside of the house and attached garage whilst extending and renovating. I’m contemplating storage rental or renting a 20ft container and locating that on our driveway (it wouldn’t interfere with the build).

What have others that have been through major renovation/extensions done? - are there other options I should be considering?

Whichever option you choose, do check the position wrt insurance. Storing in a container may be seen as outside the home which may effect the level/type of cover on your existing policy. We went with a local storage option, with easy access and arranged specific insurance for that.

An insured storage unit (and use a home move delivery company). Some stuff just isn't meant to be kept in a none thermal space/below room temperature.

I’ve done both options over the years and ended up throwing away some of the stuff that had been stored in an unheated stable…

edit - stable was unoccupied at the time!

I’ve done both options over the years and ended up throwing away some of the stuff that had been stored in an unheated stable…

edit - stable was unoccupied at the time!

+1 - had some very good furniture /items go to waste due to incorrect storage.

An insured storage unit (and use a home move delivery company). Some stuff just isn't meant to be kept in a none thermal space/below room temperature.
One of our local storage firms had an interesting advert on the buses - a photo of a handsome upperclass gent, military moustache, side parting and a strap line saying “Going away for a while? Len Lothian Storage” I think only a few people would get the point, but people my age certainly would - the photo was of Lord Lucan!

Some removal companies offer storage which will be a better option as there will be heating and offer insurance cover.

Condensation is a major issue with metal storage containers especially in the winter months. Sun hitting a container after an overnight frost will result in "rain" inside the container.

A container may need planning permission, it certainly would in our local authority.

Storage unit, removal companies can even come to you with a wooden storage container - (three fit inside a large fabric sided removal lorry) they fill it and take it away and store in a good location - have seen one in Reading and it was immense, stacked about 7 high iirc.

when you want the stuff back the truck turns back up, and they unload it.

Totally painless, but not the cheapest option I’m sure.

here you go found the one I visited - was fabulous, dry and well looked after.

https://www.kellystorage.co.uk/mobi...JZym6IMtSlNC5CX2JDbdMHgqcKeH-SmRoC1HgQAvD_BwE

Where are the skips going to go ? If you put a container on drive ? Heaven knows the damage it would do and be a target for thieves

Don't go the container route unless it's fully insulated and most aren't. The condensation levels are terrible and they get very cold and very hot in winter, summer respectively.

A removal company that does proper temperature controlled storage is probably your best bet as if anything does get damaged they are properly insured. A self storage unit is great but if damage occurs they will wriggle like crazy over any pay out.

Throw the junk away and store the stuff you care about in the other unaffected rooms. Take it as an opportunity to slim down and remove the junk, then you can concentrate on the good stuff. I've seen too many of my friends spend substantial sums of money storing paperbacks, clothes and junk that isn't worth keeping for free, let alone paying to store.

Rent a shipping container locally (20 or 40ft) - these are ideal, cheap, secure and will keep everything protected. I use one for work (AV and staging equipment) which also doubles up as storage for some of my furniture when I moved last year. Given that we have had 40 degrees in the summer and -8 in December, so quite range in temps, everything has been absolutely fine and is in as good a nick as when it was first put in there

advertisement

Back