advertisement

Fixing lamps to plasterboard, anyone?

E-Z Anchor (also sold under other brands, and available in plastic or metal) screw straight into plasterboard. Their No. 8 will support up to 75lbs.

Stud-Solver-40-600x600.png

I had my Sound Organization wall shelf directly fastened into a stud on the LH side, and into the plasterboard via 2 x E-Z Anchors on the RH side. Had a Mission 775SM (17Kg) sitting on this for a few years.

BTW, with such fittings one doesn't sum the maximum load bearing capacity of each anchor, e.g. 2 x 75lb anchors equals max 75lb rating.

P.S. The only negative with these is that when it comes to loosening off a tight fitting screw the anchor unscrews along with.

I would recommend using a setting tool for the metal fixings which open up behind the plaster board. If you don't sometimes the fixing can spin damaging the wall, or fail to close properly.

I have used the larger version of these fixings many times to fix radiator brackets. Only ever had to replace the fixings on one radiator and that was a large double panel one and not one I had fitted.
Thanks. I think I'll practice on a piece of scrap plasterboard with the chosen type of fixings before I do the deed. As you say, to get a "feel" if they spin with the screw or cut into the plaster too much. I have no idea what a "setting tool."

I recently used “geefix” wall fixings ( bought from Amazon) for mounting a 55” oled tv to a plasterboard wall. I used 8 of them, but in truth 4 would probably have done the trick, 6 of them would definitely have been enough. A very good way of securely fixing heavy stuff to plasterboard walls. Easy to use & really strong fixings.

Re that ^ and my post yesterday: putting big loads into plasterboard is not difficult - the trick is, keeping the fixing in shear / the load close to the wall plane, so that the plasterboard is in pure compression to carry the load down to the floor/substrate. Even for spur-type shelving, fully laden - no issue - chose a system with the biggest/stiffest wallmount tracks you can (the vertical track spreads the loading, to match this need)

If you want to cantilever a big load off such a 'drywall' - i.e. hang a big TV or other load away from the board face/ at an angle etc - very different rules apply. The fixing itself is the least of the issues, then.

I've used Rosett cavity wall fixings for a few things and been very happy with them. Other similar products are available which should be just as effective.

Thanks again, to everyone. The video that Unclefz posted is wonderful, gives all the informatioon I need. Amazing that this guy must have spent weeks doing this!

Project farm is great, I prefered Charlies DIY for plasterwall fixing comparison though, not quite so intense!

Project farm is great, I prefered Charlies DIY for plasterwall fixing comparison though, not quite so intense!
Yes, he is a bit intense. His methods are bang on though, I suspect that he must have some sort of scientific/engineering background because he sidesteps a lot of the potential problems. Note that he selected his plasterboard samples as all from the same manufacturing batch. That's caution bordering on paranoia.
It does also show that as we suspected any proprietary PB fixing will work for the light fitting in question, unless someone starts climbing on it.

advertisement

Back