advertisement

Silly mistake....

MikeMA

pfm Member
I've been wondering what was up with my turntable/arm/cart/phono/amp combination for a few weeks. It sounded so quiet compared with other sources - totally lacking in volume and dynamics. I was about to post on here asking what might be the problem but thought I should first take a look at the EAR 834p phono stage to see if there was anything wrong with it. After I'd taken the lid off I spotted that the MC/MM button was in the MM position: I'm running an MC AT33/PTG II ! I'd moved some kit around a few weeks ago and must have changed the setting by accident. All is well now, but has anyone else done this sort of thing without immediately realising it?

Last edited:
No but........
I connected an amplifier to the tape record output instead of the regular output from the preamp feeding it, you know the output that allows you to turn up and down the volume.......
Well, I was just standing in front of one of the two floor standers speakers and my right tympan hurried me to turn back off the amp quickly and almost had a heart attack !
A Quad 405 can really play loud.

Years ago, I left to go and buy one or two things from the local shop. Came back to the courtyard of the flats to find music blaring at a ridiculous volume. As I climbed the 5 flights of stairs I realised it was coming from my flat. My silly mistake was trusting my new girlfriend with the remote control. She'd blown my speakers.

I once came home a bit pickled from a night in the pub and decided to cook a pizza, and then promptly fell asleep.

I woke about 6 hours later to a perfectly cooked pizza.

Had set the oven to 200, but forgotten it was an old oven and so had set to 200 Fahrenheit. A lucky escape !

I did the opposite when connecting up my nephews Technics SL-10. There is a button on the back to select the internal MC headamp which I accidentally pressed when connecting the cables. It sounded horrible for a day until someone read the manual!

More than once I've forgotten to turn on the subwoofer before listening. And not noticing it until discovering that the red led on the sub amp isn't on...

I once came home a bit pickled from a night in the pub and decided to cook a pizza, and then promptly fell asleep.

I woke about 6 hours later to a perfectly cooked pizza.

Had set the oven to 200, but forgotten it was an old oven and so had set to 200 Fahrenheit. A lucky escape !

I've done that years ago with some oven chips. Woke up the next morning to find them on the side; one of my (much older and more sensible) flatmates had found them still cooking when they got up for work in the morning. They looked like a large heap of used matches and I was in the dog house for a few days. Actually come to think of it that was pretty much the status quo :D

On the hifi front: my house is not especially well lit and my CD player (Sony 337ESD) has a host of buttons on the front, most of which I have no reason to use. Several times we've missed the intended button and accidentally turned on shuffle or hit single or whatever, and then being temporarily confused by what it plays next.

Child 2 turned both knobs on the Nait 3 full clockwise and fortunately Helen heard the right speaker humming before she pressed play on the CD player… he was only 18 months old at the time

No but........
I connected an amplifier to the tape record output instead of the regular output from the preamp feeding it, you know the output that allows you to turn up and down the volume.......
Well, I was just standing in front of one of the two floor standers speakers and my right tympan hurried me to turn back off the amp quickly and almost had a heart attack !
A Quad 405 can really play loud.
I’ve done this, gave the kids quite a fright (me too) - I still can’t make any changes to the setup with them in the room, and I get quite jumpy myself plugging in interconnects. Speakers survived, thankfully.

The other really stupid thing I’ve done is convince myself that the suspension on a cartridge had collapsed, when the problem was that I’d changed the settings on the scales from metric to imperial.

I’m not counting snagging a cantilever on my sleeve. Stupid but everyone has to do it once.

Not me but my daughter and two nieces were left in the house on their own while the grown ups were having a party down the road at the grandparents house. I got a call from my distraught daughter who said the music was playing so loud and they couldn’t turn the volume down. So I jogged back home and turned the volume down……………….They had been turning the volume knob the wrong way

I remember having my Briks out of phase for a while in the eighties and had a nagging feeling, but they were Briks, after all !

advertisement

Back