advertisement

The Maggies, are dead... What a loss!

Colin loved reading your experience with Mags.

What you said about the MG 111 model really resonated with me.

I was at a HIFI show in Brighton in 1984 or 5 and in the Absolute Sounds room they had a Oracle Turntable with an Air Tangent arm and Koetsu Onyx cartridge maybe Audio Research SP 10 and Krell monoblocks and MG 111.
I so vividly remember hearing this cymbal on the music they where playing and it just sounded like a cymbal.Metallic sounding rather than a box speaker doing a tissy sounding cymbal.( well all the speakers I had heard up to then Linn Isobariks etc.) That room blew me away.

Many years later at the Windsor Hi FI News show in 2018 I heard some Mag 20.7 with Trilogy amps and Mike Valentine from Chasing The Dragon playing his recordings the sound from that room was incredible.It blew the Absolute Sounds room away at a 3rd of the cost.
Left thinking I have got to get some Mags and did the following year getting some white 1.7 i's

Whats your thoughts on fuse mods ? My mate with 1.7 i has removed his and also changed the speaker terminals and jumper.
I am not electronically savvy like him but might let him mod mine.
Just changed mine to tweeters on the outside and have to say on classical that I have been playing they sound really lovely.I might revert back but for the next couple of weeks will keep them as they are.

There is a thread here about I need fast sounding speakers and as usual their all box recommendations.

Mags are the fastest speakers I have heard their transient speed is incredible.That's why they sound so alive and music in the room.

What I love about mine is they never ever get fatiguing to listen too.Just so natural and you just get drawn in.

3.7's is a thought but just enjoying my 1.7's so much and it's a big money outlay so just loving buying more and more music on vinyl and CD.

Last edited:
Colin loved reading your experience with Mags.

What you said about the MG 111 model really resonated with me.

I was at a HIFI show in Brighton in 1984 or 5 and in the Absolute Sounds room they had a Oracle Turntable with an Air Tangent arm and Koetsu Onyx cartridge maybe Audio Research SP 10 and Krell monoblocks and MG 111.
I so vividly remember hearing this cymbal on the music they where playing and it just sounded like a cymbal.Metallic sounding rather than a box speaker doing a tissy sounding cymbal.( well all the speakers I had heard up to then Linn Isobariks etc.) That room blew me away.

Many years later at the Windsor Hi FI News show in 2018 I heard some Mag 20.7 with Trilogy amps and Mike Valentine from Chasing The Dragon playing his recordings the sound from that room was incredible.It blew the Absolute Sounds room away at a 3rd of the cost.
Left thinking I have got to get some Mags and did the following year getting some white 1.7 i's

Whats your thoughts on fuse mods ? My mate with 1.7 i has removed his and also changed the speaker terminals and jumper.
I am not electronically savvy like him but might let him mod mine.
Just changed mine to tweeters on the outside and have to say on classical that I have been playing they sound really lovely.I might revert back but for the next couple of weeks will keep them as they are.

There is a thread here about I need fast sounding speakers and as usual their all box recommendations.

Mags are the fastest speakers I have heard their transient speed is incredible.That's why they sound so alive and music in the room.

What I love about mine is they never ever get fatiguing to listen too.Just so natural and you just get drawn in.

3.7's is a thought but just enjoying my 1.7's so much and it's a big money outlay so just loving buying more and more music on vinyl and CD.

Yes, any Magnepan is faster than a box speaker with conventional cone, as the driver is lighter and there is also no box to add overhang etc.

The Magnepan true ribbon tweeter is faster still than the normal Magnepan drivers. The ribbon tweeter is just a very thin piece of aluminium, thinner than a human hair, with magnets on the sides of the cage to excite it. If you blow very lightly on the ribbon then it moves! It provides the best detail, fastest transients and best extension from a tweeter. The old Apogee tweeter was a bit similar but the Magnepan design is different. It’s thinner and has many damping points spaced over a few inches throughout the whole tweeter, which improves the performance and damps resonances. The Apogee tweeter was just hung without any damping and I believe this contributed sometimes to the reputation of the sound being a bit too metallic. The damping Magnepan uses works really well.

Part of the problem Magnepan had is that the ribbon tweeter is faster than the mid and bass drivers. This has been addressed the best way in the latest 3.7i and 20.7 models, as the mid and bass drivers use QR foil on the Bass/mid Mylar diaphragm sections and not aluminium wire (as per the older models). The QR foil is lighter and faster than the older Al wire so that helps, - the drivers are lighter. You can mod/upgrade any older 3 series Magnepan by stripping off the Al wire and changing for the QR foil.

As for fuses, - yes you can get better sound by bypassing. For models like the 1.7I that don’t have a ribbon tweeter that’s fine, and it’s also fine for the midrange of a 3 or 20 series, but it’s a no no for the true ribbon tweeter in a 3 or 20 series!. You need don’t want the ribbon to break so you need to give it some protection.

You can also upgrade the terminals etc, but perhaps biggest upgrades can be had from upgrading the frames or the passive XO components. For the 1.7 it will just be one series cap (and possibly a series resistor) on the tweeter panel and a series inductor on the bass panel. However I wouldn’t just change for any more pricey caps. Magnepan will have chosen caps to voice the speakers well. It would be necessary to measure the DC resistance of the inductor and caps to get similar values and voice the new components well by ear. Not totally simple as a quick upgrade, but with a 1.7 (or even a 3.7) it’s not expensive to try new components as the crossover slopes are all first order so there are few components. On the older models with mixes of 3rd, 2nd and 1st order crossover slopes there were many more components to upgrade. Even some models like the 3.6R used 4th order LP slopes on the bass LP, which is a lot of components.

Biamping (or triamping on a 3 series) can also work, but in my experience it’s better to use exactly the same power amp on each section to get coherence, and although detail is always better than single amp drive, biamping or Tramping never sounds quite as coherent as single amp passive speaker level drive IMO (but using the same amp for each section helps IMO). Some have different opinions on this. IIRC it’s not so easy to biamp the .7 models as there aren’t two sets of terminals. You must split things internally.

Good sound quality benefits in biamping could also be had by bypassing the speaker level tweeter cap and using a PLLXO (passive line level crossover) instead. In the case of a 1.7i that would mean using a single small cap at line level before the power amp (you calculate the correct value using 1/(2PI x C x f). The advantage is you can use a very high quality film and foil polypropylene cap or a polystyrene cap, which will be much higher quality than larger value speaker level caps. This is not a small upgrade and is worth doing. Even a cheap film and foil cap like a Wima FKP1 will work very well.

The 20.7 is a bargain for sound on offer. As you say it could outperform other speaker systems of many times the cost. The push pull drivers and greater bass driver area (that give better bass extension) make them a good step up from the 3.7i. The bass goes lower with less distortion levels, and is more punchy.

When my Dad bought his MGIIIs in 1986 we actually heard them against Isobariks in the same room. There was simply no contest. The Maggies were just so much better. So much more scale and soundstage. So much more detail, speed and much more extension and transparency in the top end. Cymbals sounded like proper cymbals, as you say. It’s amazing when you hear a 3 series (or 20 series) for the first time. As I say we’d never heard anything quite like it before.

Some people can find the ribbon tweeter on the 3 or 20 series models a bit too prominent but you can fine tune with attenuation resistors. The 1 ohm 10W wirewound resistors that Magnepan provide for this are far too much in value and attenuate too much IMO. I usually find between 0.35 to 0.5 ohms is more ideal. You can buy different wirewound values and when you have found a value that works well a good upgrade is to use five 2W film resistors in parallel instead of the single 10W wirewound.
Fine tuning this resistor value is very worthwhile for a 3 or 20 series owner. You can get the top end level exactly to your liking

The MGIIIa 3 series model that came after the MGIII model sounds a bit more forward and peaky in the mids than all the other 3 series models and I modded mine by changing the crossover slopes to the older MGIII spec (you just cut/disable one inductor in the external crossover box and another in the internal crossover - very easy to reverse). That gives a flatter and less peaky sound and gives you a speaker that sounds pretty much like an original MGIII. Some people however really like the forward midrange of the stock MGIIIa, so it’s a better of taste. If the ribbon tweeter is the 2 ohm version in later MGIIIa’s (and not the earlier 3 ohm tweeter) I change the internal tweeter resistor from 1 ohms to around 0.55 ohms, which improves the top end detail.

All the other 3 series models have a 3 ohm ribbon tweeter and don’t have an internal resistor, but you can add some attenuation (with a resistor) if you need to at the tweeter attenuation terminals.

Like I say, any of the older 3 way, 3 series models will give you a good performance upgrade over the 1.7i IMO, so you can buy secondhand if you are willing to risk the possibility of a little delam repair. A new 3.7i would cost over £8K but you could get an older 3 series from £1 to £1.5K or so.

Compared to the older models, the 3.7i does have the better QR foil on the mids and bass and all 1st order crossovers, so it’s more coherent, but you won’t be disappointed with any 3 series model of any age. As I say the performance of the ribbon, the bandwidth, and the scale are the same on all of these 3 series models. They are all the same size.

As they have higher order crossovers the older 3 series models will also play louder and with with less distortion than the 3.7i, which is a nice bonus. The 3.6R and 3.7i also have slightly less bass extension than the older models, so the older models are better for bass (they have a slightly larger bass panel area).

The MGIIIa’s on eBay would be a nice deal for someone, after some minor repairs and mods have been done. The MGIIIa has the most punchy bass of any 3 series models I’ve heard (better than the more recent 3.6 and 3.7). Not sure why, but many other people have also noticed that.

Last edited:
Thanks Colin for your reply a great read and very educational
Cheers
Cheers! If you (or anyone else) needs Maggie info on repairs, potential mods, buying them secondhand, or anything else, just let me know. I don’t know everything but have been lucky enough to have learnt a fair bit from some very kind and knowledgable people over at the Planar Asylum forums a few years ago. I learnt a lot when I asked them about my own repairs.

Looking forward to hearing how Darren gets on with his repair. I don’t envy having to take all those staples out!

Last edited:
Just a quick update to this with special thanks to Maggie guru @Colin123 and my skilled girlfriend!
Magneplanar number one has been stripped down for repair and yes..... It's all quite easy until you encounter the staples. It's tough to extract these without tearing the inner sock fabric and some of them are hidden by a fabric flap. I gave up after two staples.... GF kindly did the rest.
Now we can see the wires which have pulled off where ever there is stress. So, at the ends and around the 'buttons' just as Colin said. We can also see that the cross-overs on my pair have been substantially modified.
I have photos and plan a thread in DIY when the repairs are done. It does look doable...

Just a quick update to this with special thanks to Maggie guru @Colin123 and my skilled girlfriend!
Magneplanar number one has been stripped down for repair and yes..... It's all quite easy until you encounter the staples. It's tough to extract these without tearing the inner sock fabric and some of them are hidden by a fabric flap. I gave up after two staples.... GF kindly did the rest.
Now we can see the wires which have pulled off where ever there is stress. So, at the ends and around the 'buttons' just as Colin said. We can also see that the cross-overs on my pair have been substantially modified.
I have photos and plan a thread in DIY when the repairs are done. It does look doable...
Sounds great! Congrats on getting to the point where you can see what the problem is. Those staples are indeed a nightmare. Lucky you had some help!

Forgot to mention before, that around the tension buttons on the panel is another spot where the wires can tend to become loose. (The tension buttons help tension the Mylar to a particular frequency)

Not surprised the wires are also peeling away at the ends of the panels, although sometimes the loose wires around the buttons can be the ones that cause buzz and the ends. It all needs to be fixed back down though.

If you just clean off those areas well with acetone, then use the evo stick contact adhesive as I explained, then the 30NF (and dry for 48 hours) it should all glue down very well.

Make sure all those wires are glued back down very well before you put the socks back on! Good luck. Will keep an eye out for a post in DIY. Would love to see photos. Those modified internal XOs sound interesting too!

Last edited:
Sounds great! Congrats on getting to the point where you can see what the problem is. Those staples are indeed a nightmare. Lucky you had some help!

Forgot to mention before that around the buttons is another spot where the wires can become loose. Not surprised the wires are also peeling away at the ends of the panels.

Sometimes the loose wires around the buttons can buzz and the ends not cause any noise. It all needs to be fixed back down though.

If you just clean off those areas well with acetone, then use the evo stick contact adhesive as I explained, then the 30NF (and dry for 48 hours) it should all glue down very well.

Make sure all those wires are glued back down very well before you put the socks back on! Good luck. Will keep an eye out for a post in DIY. Would love to see photos. Those modified internal XOs sound interesting too!
Thanks Colin. You gave me the confidence to have a go in the first place.
Interestingly the glue has discoloured for the last 5cm or so where the curved ends are coming away.
The cross overs have big, German made caps and the fuse has been bypassed.

I have a pair of 2.5r in the shed but the treble ribbon is burnt out on one and other isn’t looking that heathy. I keep meaning to get them fixed.
Ahh replacing a ribbon tweeter is possible. You can buy the correct kind of replacement aluminium ribbon foils for the 2.5R from Magnepan for a reasonable price. They send you three replacement foils in case you break some during the repair. IIRC the 2.5R/2.6R has a thicker ribbon foil than the type used in the 3 series models, as they are a 2 way speaker (instead of 3) and the ribbon has to work at lower frequency - down to 1 KHz, and even down to 800 Hz in the 2.6R.

To replace, you completely remove the old ribbon foil and all old pieces (with a razor blade) and clean the cage with alcohol. Then stretch the new foil in place to the correct tension and fix at both ends of the cage. They give you clear instructions on how much to stretch it. You then apply damping blobs (from a small bottle) a inch or so apart all the way along the ribbon between the foil and the cage

It’s quite a delicate job, and a bit time consuming to put the damping on the sides as well, but it’s quite doable. Steady hands help!

I replaced two 3 series ribbon before. Broke a couple of foils each time in the process but got there in the end with the last ones!

Magnepan used to do an exchange service where you send them your whole ribbon cage and then they send you a new one with a new foil already factory installed, but they stopped offering this service outside the USA many years ago.

A new ribbon takes several hundred hours to run in. They sound brighter than usual at the start.

Your 2.5R’s might also need some wire repair too but the whole job would be well worth it. The 2.5R (and 2.6R) are nice Maggies. Quite close to a 3 series (but they don’t quite have the bass extension). They can actually be better for smaller room, as the ribbon is shorter, so the image size isn’t as large.

Last edited:
Interestingly the glue has discoloured for the last 5cm or so where the curved ends are coming away.
Glad to help and good luck with the rest of the repair! Yes, the old Miloxane adhesive discolours and becomes gunky where the wires come away at the ends. The Miloxane is sensitive to sunlight too IIRC. The dark bits and anywhere where the wires are loose are the sections you need to clean and reglue. The newest 30NF adhesive you will be putting on (instead of Miloxane) doesn’t discolour like that and fail. It also isn’t sensitive to sunlight

All that old gunk will remove quite easily when you rub the panel with cotton pads soaked in acetone. Do it gently and be easy on the Alu wires. It’s unlikely a wire would break but it’s better to be on the safe side. The panel would need a whole rewire job if a wire broke!
Best of luck and looking forward to pics!
Feel feee to ask away if you’re not sure at any stage.

Would be interested to see a pic of that crossover. Not totally sure about that model but it’s likely to be a first order high pass and low pass.

Bypassing the fuse is a good idea on a QR model tweeter, or midrange of a 3 series, although as we discussed before it’s a no no for a true ribbon tweeter. You need some protection as it’s more delicate. There are higher quality audiophile fuses out there that can replace cheap stock ones though.

Well.... A couple of busy months later, the Magneplanar 0.6 are at last finished. It's a trying job, boring and a bit fiddly. But @Colin131 is precisely correct in his instructions.
I didn't achieve a 'factory' finish. In fact my repair seemed like a bit of a dog's dinner to me, visually at least.
But, I used as little adhesive as possible and made sure all of the fine wires were well stuck down with the suggested adhesives (had to have two goes at this - the learning curve is steep)
Refitting the socks and trim was a pain and an extra pair of hands was invaluable at some points.
However..... To my genuine surprise.... They sound frikkin ace once again. All those Maggie virtues are there in spades and it's hard to fault the sound. The buzzes and rattling has gone. My hifi is back on song.
Repair cost? About thirty five to forty quid tops. With a replacement, new pair of. 7s being a fiver short of two large its a hell of a saving. If it lasts that is.... I have my fingers crossed.
Thanks to everyone who took an interest and special thanks to @Colin131 without whom... I would be £2000 poorer. Cheers mate!

Very glad you made it ! They are well worth the effort and who really care about a few extra drops of glue if they bring the whole orchestra in your living room ?

Very glad you made it ! They are well worth the effort and who really care about a few extra drops of glue if they bring the whole orchestra in your living room ?
Thanks GC. In fairness.... The glue can't be seen with the socks and trim in place. But.... You know how it goes. We all like to think we are craftsmen when the occasion warrents. Lol!

advertisement

Back