advertisement

Jeff Beck RIP

I'm playing 'Wired' and remembering when I first heard it in 1978. It was so different to everything else, and took me down all sorts of other roads of musical discovery. Thanks for the great gift of music Jeff. A great musical legacy.

Jeff's version of Goodbye Pork Pie Hat is sublime and is played regularly Chez Minio.
A great muso. Sad that the public generally remember him for the Hi Ho pop hit that didn't represent his true talent.

RIP Jeff.

Guitarist who really was at one with his instrument. I always found it inspiring that he wasn't prepared to sit on his laurels ,and was prepared to jump genres . I'll listen to Nadia first I think.

Used to see at Eel Pie Island with girlfriend ( now wife ) with my sister in law and brother in law he lived in Richmond. Before that early 1964 saw EC when he was playing in the group the Roosters.

I loved Jeff Beck such an inventive and accomplished guitarist R.I.P.

Regards,

Martin

Quite upset when I picked up this news on social media last night just before I went to bed. 78 is a decent age for a rock musician but clearly unexpected (meningitis?)

Outside of people of a certain age and musical taste, he is massively under sung. I believe both Clapton and Page acknowledge him as a more skilful and unique guitarist than them.

I only heard him play live once a few years ago in Bristol. I do remember hearing 'Wired' for the first time at the end of a phone line calling a friend - asked who that was and he said it was his brother's new Jeff Beck record. Got him to tape it for me and was hooked.

As well as his solo stuff and early work with Rod Stewart (the argument still rages whether Page and LZ-I copied the style of 'Truth') I love his contributions to other records by Stevie Wonder and Stanley Clarke for example.

My favourite story is the origin of the drum intro to 'Superstition' (which was supposed to be a song Stevie Wonder was going to give to Jeff to record as thanks for the solo on 'Looking for Another Love', but when Motown bosses heard the demos they knew 'Superstition' would be a hit, so it went out on 'Talking Book' before Jeff could record it with his group.)

“One day I was sitting at the drum kit, which I love to play when nobody’s around, doing this beat. Stevie came kinda boogieing into the studio: ‘Don’t stop.’ ‘Ah, c’mon, Stevie,’ I can’t play the drums.’ Then the lick came out: ‘Superstition.’ That was my song, in return for playing on Talking Book. I thought, ‘He’s given me the riff of the century.”

Reactions: kjb
Got to see him for the first time in my life last year. Even accompanied by Jonny Depp he was still superb, I stepped in after a mates brother called off and I wasn’t sure as I always found his playing very ‘busy’, superb but ‘busy’.

Anyway I came away absolutely in aw of his playing which was dialled back somewhat on the night.

RIP, glad I managed to catch you.

Ditto. His touch and expression were off the scale in Manchester - what a player.

I saw him live when he was in the Yardbirds, bought the LP then forgot about him.

Today I spent time on YouTube watching analysis of his playing style and some recent examples. Wow I had no idea!

Live CD ordered.

RIP

Will miss his unique style. My interest in his music picked up when I saw/heard him on TV playing at Ronnie Scotts, so am now playing catch-up with early stuff. An interesting comparison between Live at Ronnie Scott's and Official Bootleg USA setlists.

I "interviewed" him in 1972 when I was a DJ on Radio Lancaster. I don't think he was overly impressed when I asked him about the success of Led Zeppelin & Rod Stewart's burgeoning solo career :oops:

I liked the bit in the doc I saw on the BBC where he said that he had started out wanting to play piano, then heard Art Tatum and thought ‘Oh, that’s been done then…’ so took up guitar instead.

advertisement

Back