advertisement

Turntable Light

In my case it’s because I have little light in that corner and didn’t want a large bright lamp. I wanted a small localised source that would fit into the alcove
Same reason here. The room light in the corner near the system is more for mood and effect than actual illumination. It’s not sufficient to light the back panels if I’m grovelling around trying to connect something up, so a gooseneck will be ideal. I’ve ordered one via that Amazon recommendation. I plan to use it via one of my USB power packs, so I don’t need a manky charger plugged in near the system mains socket.

I have one central light to light up the whole room. It is one of those app controlled lights & just doesn't get bright enough to see properly. Plus it's a pain to constantly make it brighter & dimmer every time.

For valve listeners
25226804295_a2577f064b_b.jpg

and Naim owners
1477289_800.jpg

I miss the days when the only choice of bulbs was incandescent 60W or 100W. Now I just get confused by colour temperature, connectors, types of LED, powering, etc. I always seem to end up buying more than one bulb just to be sure I get the desired effect. End result is a man drawer full of unused bulbs.

PS: I have one of those IKEA ones, and it’s not bad, but it does affect the sound of a Fraim, depending on which side of the shelf you clip it to.

just joking…..

Highly recommended from this poster

Bugger me he is impenetrably dull.

In a hobby bursting at the seams with very very bland people who can bang on endlessly about four fifths of fack all, this guy really is Olympic level tedium.

Shame because the lamp itself had some potential.

I use this cryogenically frozen lamp from Oyaide with a fuse containing rare mountain orchids and a NOS 1950s Telefunken bulb.

Not really. It was a tenner from Habitat.

But using it is like night and day! Instant inky blackness at the flick of a switch!

UM2WEEN.jpg

I use this cryogenically frozen lamp from Oyaide with a fuse containing rare mountain orchids and a NOS 1950s Telefunken bulb.

But using it is like night and day! Instant inky blackness at the flick of a switch!

UM2WEEN.jpg
Nice Lenco paul - I'm working on one right now. Can I please ask what arm you have on there? and the platter - it appears white in the image. Is it one of the Corian ones?

Looks like an Acos-Lustre minus its armrest outrigger such that it can be mounted lower, none original counterweight plus push in auxiliary weight, and a Technics style headshell.

(just guessing)

Regardless, it was made by Koshin Electric Co. Ltd. of Japan.

Nice Lenco paul - I'm working on one right now. Can I please ask what arm you have on there? and the platter - it appears white in the image. Is it one of the Corian ones?

Thanks Darren. As @Craig B correctly says it's an Acos Lustre. The platter is a standard L75 platter that has just been sprayed white. It all came as a finished build with the plinth from a Lenco Heaven member. I suspect it could be tweaked/upgraded more but I love it.

The headshell is branded BUM for some reason which makes me smile. It has an AT95E in a SPH aluminium body.

I have an Ortofon AS-212 from an old Telefunken music centre that at some point I'll send off to LH member Wer to be serviced and install that on the deck.

The trouble is I just like playing records and get bored pretty quickly when it comes to fiddling and fettling!

Thanks Darren. As @Craig B correctly says it's an Acos Lustre. The platter is a standard L75 platter that has just been sprayed white. It all came as a finished build with the plinth from a Lenco Heaven member. I suspect it could be tweaked/upgraded more but I love it.

The headshell is branded BUM for some reason which makes me smile. It has an AT95E in a SPH aluminium body.

I have an Ortofon AS-212 from an old Telefunken music centre that at some point I'll send off to LH member Wer to be serviced and install that on the deck.

The trouble is I just like playing records and get bored pretty quickly when it comes to fiddling and fettling!
Lol...... Thanks Paul. I hear you. I've been building this Lenco for months.... But it's, far easier to fire up the linn and listen to some tunes. Also, I want to check which of my pre amps sounds best... But the thought of unplugging all those, cables makes me dizzy. Hahaha. I love hifi... But I'm lazy too.

UM2WEEN.jpg

I'm not sold yet, I need to see the inky black setting :p

I love your turntable Paul! I have an old Goldring G99 with a 12" or 13" Microseiki arm from my parents that I've been meaning to fix up (it's been years so I doubt I'll get there any time soon). Bet yours sounds great.

I like the warm glow of incandescent so I keep many spares around now that they are going defunct. My TT lamp is an old Ikea with a low powered halogen. Looks good and does the job fine so no point messing around. I am still not convinced by LEDs aesthetically but I do use them for outside.

I love your turntable Paul! I have an old Goldring G99 with a 12" or 13" Microseiki arm from my parents that I've been meaning to fix up (it's been years so I doubt I'll get there any time soon)............

If you just clean & service the G99 you may be surprised by just how competent it is - I used mine in preference to my other tables (TD 124 II, 401, LP12), and it's only currently 'resting' because I assembled a PTP6 last year.
Regards
Mike K.

I am sure it will be a good tt, Mike. I just need to do a lot of homework before I embark on the project. It was extracted from a custom built console so it requires a good plinth too. I did replace the noisy idler wheel that was made from plastic (rubber had hardened) with a new metal one.

I just remember that when my parents owned it, it often wasn't working and eventually it was not used anymore...so it's still in pretty good cosmetic shape. Not sure about the innards, though!

Hi Hockman,
The G99 is a lot simpler than many other t/tables which means that it's easier to work on, plus both used and new parts are available and relatively inexpensive.
If you are not already aware, 'Lenco Heaven' is an amazing resource for everything Lenco.
Regards
Mike K.

I fitted LED strip lighting to the underside of the record shelf above my TT, it worked fine.

Until I changed the arm from a 10" to a 12", now the cueing point is in the shadow - lol.

advertisement

Back