advertisement

Pelé, Brazil World Cup winner and football legend, dies aged 82

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62712350

eo3KCl9.jpg

Sad news. Still, I hear that he was only reported as seriously ill during the WC finals so he would have watched some of the matches and he was only reported as "non responsive" immediately before Christmas so his family had time to prepare without him being in a terminal state for weeks. 82 is a good innings too.
RIP, the legend.

I don’t think people really can comprehend the grinding poverty players like Pelé and the likes of Garrincha had to endure and then become some of the greatest footballers the world has ever seen despite the background that they were born into.

Garrincha was born in Pau Grande, a district of Magé, in the state of Rio de Janeiro, in 1933. He was born with his right leg 6 centimetres shorter than his left, also his left leg turned outwards and his right turned inwards, leading one doctor to certify him as crippled as a child.[12][13]

His father was an alcoholic, drinking cachaça heavily, a problem which Garrincha would inherit.[9] A boy with a carefree attitude, he was smaller than other kids his age, with his sister Rosa noticing he was as small as a little bird she started calling him Garrincha, the north-eastern name for the wren, a little brown bird.[14] The name stuck and by the age of four years he was known as Garrincha to his family and friends.[14] Garrincha was also known as Mané (short for Manuel) by his friends.[15] The combined Mané Garrincha is common among fans in Brazil.[citation needed]

Garrincha was known amongst footballing scouts but did not arrive in professional football until his late teens; he had no interest in a professional career despite his immense talent.[16]

Garrincha's younger brother, Jimmy dos Santos, played 20 games for Série A side CR Vasco da Gama in 1959.

Phenomenal talent. Mobilised a nation that was already mad about football. RIP.
Agreed but the man on the street in Brazil reputedly loved Garrincha more.....
I don’t think people really can comprehend the grinding poverty players like Pelé and the likes of Garrincha had to endure and then become some of the greatest footballers the world has ever seen despite the background that they were born into.

Garrincha was born in Pau Grande, a district of Magé, in the state of Rio de Janeiro, in 1933. He was born with his right leg 6 centimetres shorter than his left, also his left leg turned outwards and his right turned inwards, leading one doctor to certify him as crippled as a child.[12][13]

His father was an alcoholic, drinking cachaça heavily, a problem which Garrincha would inherit.[9] A boy with a carefree attitude, he was smaller than other kids his age, with his sister Rosa noticing he was as small as a little bird she started calling him Garrincha, the north-eastern name for the wren, a little brown bird.[14] The name stuck and by the age of four years he was known as Garrincha to his family and friends.[14] Garrincha was also known as Mané (short for Manuel) by his friends.[15] The combined Mané Garrincha is common among fans in Brazil.[citation needed]

Garrincha was known amongst footballing scouts but did not arrive in professional football until his late teens; he had no interest in a professional career despite his immense talent.[16]

Garrincha's younger brother, Jimmy dos Santos, played 20 games for Série A side CR Vasco da Gama in 1959.
One of my favourite football books, read it multiple times;-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0224092197/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

RIP Pele

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have never watched a football game in my life.

BUT. As a kid we lived nearby a small Swedish hamlet called 'Åtvidaberg'. There where much excitement as the Brazilian team was in town to do a friendly match. Reaching the town with the family to do some shopping, on a green, there was a big heap of kids with a black guy in the middle. My big brother, who was more interested, pointed him out. 'That's Pele.' OK, I thought. I think my brother had his autograph.

advertisement

Back