advertisement

Gear that shocked you by how good it was, given the price (or lukewarm reviews).

RPi + IQAudio DAC+/Pro + decent linear supply + MoOde

Best digital I've tried at home which includes Aurender Server, bonkers£ digital cable and Aurelic £3.5K DAC.

Quad 303. First hi-fi amp I owned and I use one in my main system despite having far more expensive and allegedly better amps to hand (e.g. a Pass Aleph 3). In an appropriate context a well maintained 303 is a seriously good amp IMHO. With easy to drive vintage speakers such as my 15” Tannoys I’d take it far ahead of all manner of high-end modern solid state and a lot of valves too.

Audiolab 6000A and Cyrus ONE Cast. Although they have some good reviews, on forums they generally pop.

When I got my Audio Innovations Series 500, I was worried that I'd lose the punchy sound that the preceding Tandberg 3002 and 3003 pre and power amplifier combination had.

I needn't have worried. And since the arrival of Valves, neighbours actually ask me when I'm having another Music Evening!

In my system at least, Valves aren't at all 'pipe and slippers'... :cool:

During the summer I bought a Jeff Rowland Continuum 2 integrated amplifier. Almost straight away I thought I'd done the wrong thing as it sounded lifeless and boring. I really couldn't get into it so auditioned a PS Audio Directstream Dac which worked much better with the amp than the Chord TT. Now there's nothing wrong with the TT, it's a great Dac, but for some reason the pair didn't gel. Gradually by swapping other components (actually pretty much everything!) I've managed to improve it no end. Just this afternoon I've installed some speaker cable a friend has lent me, it's brought more detail and a better top end, though maybe slightly too bright now though I can toe the speakers out the sort that out.
Thankfully the amp now seems to really growing on me.

Another to chime in with the Quad 303. But I'll also add the first TA2020 Tripath amp I heard blew me away for £50 I think at the time- possibly less I can't remember. I still have it, a Topping TA2020.

The Arcam A32 I picked up the other day. HiFi News absolutely panned it in a group test. It is simply a very well designed amp and one of the best I have had through my living room.

Similar experience here with Arcam.

Having lived with the staid but sturdy Alpha 10 a time ago I wasn’t expecting the more lively persona from the A85 that I currently enjoy.

A pair of obelisks and a P75 mk4 have been a massive uplift in my system just proves to me how superb the Hx1.2 MK is having owned one back in 2000 regrettable sale and now owning a serviced one of the same date stamp literally 5 serial numbers out

advertisement

Back