advertisement

Tell me about Martin Logan…

Logan’s have lovely transparency but I find the hybrid bass falls behind somewhat. Best I’ve heard are the CLX Anniversary speakers. Really lovely.

I have been tempted by MLs for some time; mainly coming from 45 years of big m/coil floor-standers (with bass!) to big modern Quads the last 10. I do believe they've completely sorted the integration now, but one thing which is not in their favour (apart from being American) is the 30 degree presentation angle. The Quads are a bit like Briks; a wall of sound but with the natural transparency and imaging advantage. I can sit anywhere on my 7' sofa and get the sweet spot (if there is one).

I think, but could be wrong here, that the CLC and CLX were simply ESLs; not hybrids and therefore not dissimilar to the cheaper and 'home-grown' Quads. I do like a wide soundstage with imaging and I'm not sure the curved panels of the MLs do the 'wall of sound' soundstage stuff. Those MLs I heard in someone's flat 15 years ago were very impressive within the context of that system and they were not the upper models.

"Holographic" to me describes a visual image which depends upon precise positioning and sharp edges. Live acoustic music, heard from a concert hall distance with closed eyes, does not have either of those characteristics. Where domestic sound reproduction is concerned, 3D illusion, maybe... etched aural image, no thanks...
To me what hi-fi is really about, provided the rest is good enough. Funny how different our perspectives are :rolleyes:
3D does exist, with unamplified music.

When reading opinions of hi-fi equipment on forums (or for that matter, purely subjective reviews in magazines) it is all too easy to forget that the person reporting their experience may have quite different objectives to yours...

Thanks, I thought we were at cross purposes...
I don't think so... my ideal sounds: the Australian Chamber Orchestra playing Grieg on BIS, and any of the Danish String Quartet's recordings on ECM - Wood Works being a prime example. These are entirely wonderful recordings - seemingly completely realised ("they are there!") on my system... and probably will be on yours :)

PS Having said that, the system is quite capable of holography with recordings like this remarkable one:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8124602--the-world-of-harry-partch

...which just goes to show (as chartz will probably agree) that listeners to different kinds of music are looking for differing sets of abilities from their systems

Well... I decided to scratch a different itch and bought a pair of KEF Reference 1's! Thanks for all the different info on ML and electrostatics in general. It did't really tell me what I wanted to know about different ML models but did convince me that they may not be for me! (for now that is...!)

I had a pair of Clarity’s so by no means top of the line. I listened to cone speakers costing 3 times as much and although they were better on bass and bass control they couldn’t match the fabulous pinpoint vocal sound. I found they really gave space to every instrument. I still haven’t heard anything like electrostatics for being able to out a vocal performer in the room with you. The clarity was very directional though and definitely had a sweet spot. Standing up also lost a lot of the top end.

I had a pair of Clarity’s so by no means top of the line. I listened to cone speakers costing 3 times as much and although they were better on bass and bass control they couldn’t match the fabulous pinpoint vocal sound. I found they really gave space to every instrument. I still haven’t heard anything like electrostatics for being able to out a vocal performer in the room with you. The clarity was very directional though and definitely had a sweet spot. Standing up also lost a lot of the top end.
Ah yes, that’s reminded me. With Logans you have to remain seated for the entire performance.

I had a pair of ....... I still haven’t heard anything like electrostatics for being able to out a vocal performer in the room with you....... .

Apologies in advance for this 'diversion'.
Back in the '70's I went to an 'audio show' which was being held at an hotel adjacent to Manchester airport, and in the show 'guide' found a reference to a 'KLH' room, and being a fan of electrostatics, went in search of said room.
It turned out to be a very small one, dominated by what appeared to be a pair of a pair of small doors, which were actually KLH 9's, and apart from the chap who was demonstrating them, I was the only one there.
I was allowed to select an LP from the small selection available, and I sat back, closed my eyes, and miraculously, Cleo Laine was actually standing in front of me singing.
Best wishes to all for 2023
Mike K.

S'pose it's bit pointless after 45 ish years to ask which you took home; the speakers or the singer. Don't remember KLH from that period, but didn't start to attend hifi shows until the 80s. The name does ring a bell, however.

S'pose it's bit pointless after 45 ish years to ask which you took home; the speakers or the singer. Don't remember KLH from that period, but didn't start to attend hifi shows until the 80s. The name does ring a bell, however.

Sadly neither - as I recall the KLH's were £2500 a pair - I hadn't the disposable income for the 9's, or anything that would have attracted the attention of the singer. :)
Regards
Mike K.

advertisement

Back