advertisement

Meeting famous people you like

As early as I can recall.

My Mam kissed Tommy Steele. This was before me, but she mentioned it every year, each Easter or Christmas when that Half A Sixpence was on TV back in the 70’s.

I played mini-golf with Charlie Williams and had a drink with him. Nice guy.
He had good patter.

I met John McLaughlin at a Paco De Lucia gig in London 1979 and Rory Gallagher in The Pot Of Beer pub in Birmingham mid 70’s having a pre gig pint, both very amenable and Rory seemed rather shy.

I met Marc Ribot last night. He seemed a decent sort. I’d forgotten to take anything with me for him to autograph, but he said he’d do it for me on his next tour. Then he wandered off and sat in the corner with his pint.

The more I think about this the odder it seems, as I’m pretty sure I was at home all day yesterday. I wonder if it could have been an Christmas over-indulgence related dream?

The only remotely famous person I've met was the late Alan Clark, when he was a junior Minister at the Department of Employment and I was a lowly minion. He was personally very charming, but mad as a box of frogs (he signed all his letters with green ink, a sure sign of nutjobbery).

In October I took my 11 year old son to the golf range in Hull. Nick Barmby was there. He spent two minutes talking to my son about his favourite club, what position he plays for his team etc.

He was really really nice. Top encounter.

The only remotely famous person I've met was the late Alan Clark, when he was a junior Minister at the Department of Employment and I was a lowly minion. He was personally very charming, but mad as a box of frogs (he signed all his letters with green ink, a sure sign of nutjobbery).
Did he ask you if you had bought your own furniture?

The one bit of furniture I remember (and only because it’s in a photo) was a swivel chair in a dingy yellow fabric. I think there was a desk (basically a bit of wood screwed to the wall) and a fitted wardrobe. Plus the obligatory two-bar electric fire.

Met David Blunkett twice. Once at my school and once at the bottom of the escalators in Arezzo. Nice chap actually.

advertisement

Back