advertisement

Park yer new electric car in a multi-storey CP?

As long as there's more room so the person in the next bay can't hit my car as they blithely swing open the door open to get in / out of their 20 year old Micra.

Multi-storey CP's, Supermarkets and Doctors surgeries parking facilities are official Ding Accumilation Centres.

And, call me a cynic, but I would suggest parking bays may well become narrower to 'maximise' throughput.

John

Last edited:
I think that its time for road tax to be changed to a weight and size base formula.
Cars are bloated and heavy these days. No real need for EVs to be so massive either if you don't design for 5s 0-60 and 500km range.
Maybe also something like the old Japanese rule that only small cars could use on street parking

I think that its time for road tax to be changed to a weight and size base formula.
Cars are bloated and heavy these days. No real need for EVs to be so massive either if you don't design for 5s 0-60 and 500km range.
Maybe also something like the old Japanese rule that only small cars could use on street parking
Weight consumes more energy, so for many the taxation is increased at the energy source.

Electric cars are fuelled by something that every home uses, so taxing everyone's household electricity consumption just to pay for EV users' effect on the road network would be grossly inequitable (so, given your government, I guess there'll be a White Paper along in a week or so...)

Weight is actually a very good thing to tax, as it's extremely hard for a manufacturer to cheat, and it has a direct consequence on infrastructure maintenance cost.

But back on the original article, "Up to twice as heavy" is bollocks. It doesn't take much research to see that the average premium is around 30%, size for size: my car is a FIAT 500e and weighs 1350 kg, the petrol equivalent 500 of the previous generation clocks in at just under 1100 kg - that's a percentage gain that can be seen all the way up the size categories..

The biggest problem is the rise of 2-tonne crossovers, and that has nothing to do with EVs.

Let’s keep our fingers crossed for sodium sulfate batteries. That should solve the weight issues.

Would that not be common design practise?

Perhaps, though I don't have any real idea, but if so, the article is inconsistent because from the numbers being bandied around it seems to be quoting empty weights for modern EVs.
The worst case scenario is not always applied in engineering. As an example, household wiring allows a 30A ring main to supply quite a few 13A sockets in safety, on the basis that nobody plugs a 3kW kettle or fan heater in every socket, turn it all on at once and waits for the bang.

The worst case scenario is not always applied in engineering. As an example, household wiring allows a 30A ring main to supply quite a few 13A sockets in safety, on the basis that nobody plugs a 3kW kettle or fan heater in every socket, turn it all on at once and waits for the bang.
In that case, the worst case is that the circuit breaker trips, still safe and no fire.

Cough.

When I was young kid, under the stairs I found this box of mains plugs and adaptors (bakelite of course, this being the 1960's) and thought it would be fun to, just like Lego, assemble some kind of miniature abstract monolith and plug the whole into a vacant socket. Oh boy. . .

John

advertisement

Back