advertisement

So who’s put their heating on yet ?

Not if it's 10.6C inside and -2C outside.

I see your point, I should qualify since I can't quantify, I meant well ventilated in terms of never suffering from condensation inside of the house since installing the ventilation system. By other yardsticks it might not be well ventilated.

My log burner/multifuel stove has been in continuous use for the previous 3 days, with the predicted forecast I expect to keep er lit’ for the following week at least.

28*C in my log cabin last night, shorts & t-shirt, an led battery light & my ipad (downloaded a film during the day/ watch offline in cabin). Foraged firewood. Bliss.

Listening to my Lp12 in my cottage pm today, 6.2*C seeing my breath, just a hottie on my back. Blyat.

I refuse to put my heating on, well I just can't afford to. I think at this rate it'll be forest fights for fkn firewood.

Put mine on yesterday for the day and per the new smart meter I spent £50

back to log burner tomorrow, gas price is nuts, I wonder if large old drafts housss like my semi will sell at all going forwards as I certainly can’t afford to heat the place as it’s mortgage level spend currently

New to the smart meter but I guess the rebate will reduce the price a bit

What is considered a normal humidity level?

I don't have any trickle vents and it is too noisy here to have the windows on the latch. The bathroom has an open vent for the extract fan and I regularly leave that window either open or on the latch, the bathroom door doesn't close fully so I expect that is doing some venting. Even so, I open all the windows upstairs and downstairs once a week for a couple of hours and I notice the worst room for humidity (front room) drops from about 60% to 50% depending on relative humidity obviously. Having the heating on doesn't seem to make any difference, maybe it doesn't get warm enough to dry the air.

Thinking of getting a dehumidifier and just running it in the front room for an hour or so a day to keep anything at bay, seeing as that is the hi-fi/music room.

Put mine on yesterday for the day and per the new smart meter I spent £50

back to log burner tomorrow, gas price is nuts, I wonder if large old drafts housss like my semi will sell at all going forwards as I certainly can’t afford to heat the place as it’s mortgage level spend currently

New to the smart meter but I guess the rebate will reduce the price a bit

Crikey, that’s bonkers. Is the boiler running properly / efficiently?

Between 30-40%.

(It’s 35% at Chez Jezzer)
I'd say that that was VERY low. UK outdoor humidity is generally 60+ on other than dry or freezing days. The RH of any sample of air becomes lower if you heat it, even in a sealed box and without changing the actual water content. RH indoors is frequently high in the summer with no heating because of high humidity outdoors.

Fires been ripping since 7am this morning... Stat still set at 16.5ºC and it's only popped on a few times overnight when the temps have dropped...

It's a dizzying high of 1ºC here currently; lethal out there underfoot; only decked it twice so far:D

I'd say that that was VERY low. UK outdoor humidity is generally 60+ on other than dry or freezing days. The RH of any sample of air becomes lower if you heat it, even in a sealed box and without changing the actual water content. RH indoors is frequently high in the summer with no heating because of high humidity outdoors.
I’d agree. In that very hot weather last summer I bought a desktop thermometer which also has a hygrometer. Reading is usually above 60%, not sure I’ve seen it read lower, and often above 80% here in damp Manchester.

The thing that infuriates me about my ASHPump. This is a warning to all considering them.

It comes with a **hydraulic unit, a suitcase sized unit that sits in the hardware 'chain' between 1. cylinder & the 2. outside large fan unit (all will be aware of what 1 & 2 look like).

This **unit, is an absolute fkn nightmare, & I'll explain why. Ok the cylinder in most houses, is in an upstairs spare bedroom. So the ASHP will include a new cylinder, similar sized. Fine. But this additional **unit has to be close to the cylinder. I had a cupboard in the spare room, so it was fitted in here, fine it seemed/ a good fit too.

Right. This damn unit... once temp drops below 3*C outside... makes overnight mechanical noise, not just incessantly, but so audible that it's heard 3 bedrooms away. 11pm-7am. Awful loud infuriating motor noise. It has meant my sleep is disturbed (3 bedrooms away, let alone the spare bedroom itself, & the next bedroom no.2 along), I am angry, the spare bedroom unuseable, no.2 severely compromised, & my mental health has been RUINED.

NO mention to me by installers of this unit making any noise at all. Vaillant (the appalling manufacturers of this awful design) & me have been in an 18-month BATTLE of stress trying to find a solution. None. I'm stuck with it.

BE WARNED.

What is considered a normal humidity level?

I don't have any trickle vents and it is too noisy here to have the windows on the latch. The bathroom has an open vent for the extract fan and I regularly leave that window either open or on the latch, the bathroom door doesn't close fully so I expect that is doing some venting. Even so, I open all the windows upstairs and downstairs once a week for a couple of hours and I notice the worst room for humidity (front room) drops from about 60% to 50% depending on relative humidity obviously. Having the heating on doesn't seem to make any difference, maybe it doesn't get warm enough to dry the air.

Thinking of getting a dehumidifier and just running it in the front room for an hour or so a day to keep anything at bay, seeing as that is the hi-fi/music room.
Depends on what you want to spend, but EBAC do some 'smart' ones that you just leave on - they somehow learn your habits and when they need to be on / off. Very few deals to be had, and a lot of units now out of stock.
Cheapest i found our EBAC was Screwfix (3850e)

Well if 50-60 is nothing to be worried about indoors I may just leave it. Front room was 58& this morning and 50 after the window had been opened an hour, I've closed it now as sitting in 12c isn't much fun and it has gone back up to 55%

Bedroom is down in the low 40%s.

Well if 50-60 is nothing to be worried about indoors I may just leave it. Front room was 58& this morning and 50 after the window had been opened an hour, I've closed it now as sitting in 12c isn't much fun and it has gone back up to 55%

Well, you don't have a damp problem. That's good news at least. Heat the room, the RH will fall.

It’s not just the relative humidity that’s a concern, but the temp at which dew point occurs, hence condensation - which can lead to mould.
https://www.schoeck.com/en-gb/humidity-temperature-condensation-control

Between 30-40%.

(It’s 35% at Chez Jezzer)

I have a Vent-Axia dehumidifier system running through the flat. According to the manufacturer’s handbook it says ideal indoor humidity should be between 30-40%. In the summer my little humidity reader can show 60%.

The UK can get surprisingly humid..!

I have a Vent-Axia dehumidifier system running through the flat. According to the manufacturer’s handbook it says ideal indoor humidity should be between 30-40%. In the summer my little humidity reader can show 60%.

The UK can get surprisingly humid..!
I see you’re from London. Round here (Manchester) the word we’d use is ‘damp’.

advertisement

Back