advertisement

Audiophile Network Switches for Streaming ... really ?

And I did have a play with a TP link switch I have and I couldn't hear a difference, though it was just on a standard patch cable. And no I didn't blind test it, but then no one else seems to have done so.

And my simley, well, it is just a discussion :)
You could tell I’d had a bad day, couldn’t you.

Right then, tell me more about this TPLink experiment. Nothing wrong with basic ethernet cable at all. How far is your router from your streamer?

Oh, nearly forgot! :)

You could tell I’d had a bad day, couldn’t you.

Right then, tell me more about this TPLink experiment. Nothing wrong with basic ethernet cable at all. How far is your router from your streamer?

Oh, nearly forgot! :)
We all have bad days, no problem.

Patch cable was about 1m, nothing unusual. Switch is a TPLink gigabit switch, I think, it usually hides behind a couple of NASs and a Netgear ORBI mess satellite.

Thanks.

How long is/was cable from router to switch? I presume the patch cable is 1m long and was from switch to streamer.

Would there be any point in trying a switch before the streamer if you were already using one of the many network isolators which are available that provide galvanic isolation, or does it do the same job?

If you put multiple switches one after another does the goodness compound over all the devices.
I know you jest. In theory it might actually… but assuming the first does its job, the second one will have very little noise to mitigate so there might be, I don’t know, a 1% or whatever further improvement. Not audible, I’d wager, but I bet one you graph-wielding scallywags will be able to measure it!

Would there be any point in trying a switch before the streamer if you were already using one of the many network isolators which are available that provide galvanic isolation, or does it do the same job?
I’m not familiar with these galvanic isolators but if they live up to their name then they should do the same job as a basic network switch, so no there would be no point in using both.
Do you have a link to a specific model? I wonder whether a basic (say £20-30) network switch is most folk’s way of achieving same because it’s cheaper, but don’t know what we’re comparing with.

Yesterday I needed to replace the Ethernet cable between the router in the home office and switch (oh, yes, I have one close to the tele and streamer) in the living room. I bought a CAT6 to check if it would improve anything.
Said and done. Turned on the tele with an FHD channel and I was amazed by the clear and noise-free picture.
Then I realised that the pair of glasses I used were cleaned ten minutes earlier. But I enjoy the placebo effect anyway. :D

Yesterday I needed to replace the Ethernet cable between the router in the home office and switch (oh, yes, I have one close to the tele and streamer) in the living room. I bought a CAT6 to check if it would improve anything.
Said and done. Turned on the tele with an FHD channel and I was amazed by the clear and noise-free picture.
Then I realised that the pair of glasses I used were cleaned ten minutes earlier. But I enjoy the placebo effect anyway. :D

You wag…. :)
What were you using before CAT6?

advertisement

Back