advertisement

So who’s put their heating on yet ?

I have a down jacket for mountaineering, in fact I have a selection. I can't wear the biggest one indoors because when I do I find myself waking up an hour later to the sound of a TV playing to itself or the smell of burning food.

I have decided to bring my thermostat in from the hall to the living room. I have a trv on the radiator so if I leave it on the highest setting is that the same as having no trv?

A new low temperature for me this winter: 12.3°C in the living room this morning. Still the combi boiler and electric fire are dormant.

Ours is!

We're out this evening so no fire lit; both have base layers on and it's still bloody cold; so the stat's been 'upped' a whole degree :D

I’m just about to light the stove. Our house is pretty much open plan and the stove keeps the whole place pretty warm, warm enough that we haven’t needed the central heating on in the evenings yet.

Good Afternoon All,

Was speaking with my sister, a now retired ex- nurse, ahead of Xmas.

Got to speaking about heating. She has been cutting back in order to save money (obviously) and is now dealing with mould, particularly around the windows.......

Regards

Richard

Our stove is still doing a grand job of keeping the house warm. It’s 21 degrees in our lounge/living room atm. We are both at home with Covid atm so the central heating has been going on in the morning for a couple of hours.

Mate of mine at work did a trial last Sunday, he just had his heating on from morning to night at whatever heat setting made his house warm and toasty, it cost £20+, £600+ if repeated for the month.

He’s given other cost per day figures out this last few (cold) week, around £12, either way, very high bills for normal people.

Last edited:
10.6°C in the living room this morning, -2°C outside. Still no heating. Plenty of layers on though LOL. On the plus side I don't have the hassle of getting wrapped up when I take out the rubbish, I'm already suitably attired.

Good point about mould formation Richard, #508. My house is quite well ventilated and I've seen no issues as yet.

Good Afternoon All,

Was speaking with my sister, a now retired ex- nurse, ahead of Xmas.

Got to speaking about heating. She has been cutting back in order to save money (obviously) and is now dealing with mould, particularly around the windows.......

Regards

Richard

why a dehumidifier is useful. I am getting 1l+ perday from my living room with all the other doors closed

10.6°C in the living room this morning, -2°C outside. Still no heating. Plenty of layers on though LOL. On the plus side I don't have the hassle of getting wrapped up when I take out the rubbish, I'm already suitably attired.

Good point about mould formation Richard, #508. My house is quite well ventilated and I've seen no issues as yet.

you might he getting mould spores in the air though as I bet your humidity is high, that will affect your health

Just been in the office (south facing). No heating on in there, the low sun is streaming in, 24.5 degs. When we had the 40 degree heat in the summer, I shut the blinds in there and it was 19.5 degs. Crazy really.

you might he getting mould spores in the air though as I bet your humidity is high, that will affect your health

I've got a positive inlet ventilation system fitted (14W fan that draws in external air and discharges it into the hallway) and trickle vents on most of the rooms. The system transformed my house, it was a bit too sealed up before and did suffer high humidity. PIV drops the humidity in my house down to around 50% RH most of the year. It costs £38/yr to run at current costs. I appreciate this increases heating cost, but I ran some tests when I installed PIV and couldn't detect a difference in gas consumption. I believe the very low level of air input is sufficient to keep humidity under control but not significant in terms of heat load on my central heating system. I used to have a dehumifider to address the same problem, this cost a lot more to run than PIV.

advertisement

Back