advertisement

Not meeting famous people you like

Three or four years ago Linton Kwesi Johnson got on my local train (he boarded at Herne Hill) and sat opposite me. Kept quiet for a minute then spoke to him as I knew I’d forever regret it if I didn’t. Came over all fanboy-ish as I told him I’d loved his work since first seeing his appearance reading his poetry on the OGWT. He was charming, chatting with me for a few minutes, shook my hand and even smiled, which kind of looked strange as I don’t think I’ve ever seen him smile in photos or film.
Back in the ‘seventies Kenneth Williams sat opposite me on an underground train. I didn’t have the nerve to speak to him and looking back (and having read his diaries some years ago!) I’m kind of glad I said nothing. He might have been lovely, but then again he might not…

Mick

I was walking in Soho, NYC, and spotted Bowie walking on the opposite sidewalk. Funnily I prepared for this moment for a long time, as I knew he hated people harassing him. So I just stood still and took a hardly noticeable bow. He had what I imagined to be a little appreciative smile and continued walking. I counted to three and carried on never looking back.

This never happened, but I did prepare myself many times for this encounter.

I went for an after work social at Walkers Wine Bar just off Whitehall. As I walked downstairs into the bar, I could see into another part of the bar and saw Stephen Fry; I paused for a couple of seconds thinking "Is that Stephen Fry?" At that exact moment we made eye contact and he looked at me trying to work out if he knew this person looking at him. As befitting a 40-something Englishman, I said nothing and scuttled downstairs.

Sat on the next table to El Cordobes, The Beatle Bullfighter, in a big hotel in Zaragoza in 1968. Little guy at the head of a table surrounded by four large bouncers.

Stood at the bar in some upmarket burger bar in Newcastle next to Tom Baker. He still had his scarf on.

Over twenty years ago, when 'im indoors still lived in Brighton; we were on a bus going into town.
On passing a stop I turned to him and said "that tramp looks just like Kevin Rowland". He replied "that is Kevin Rowland"
Spotted him a couple of times In Safeways too, but never worked up the courage to speak to him, fearing I'd turn into that fanboy.

I went to a party that had some actors there, that weren't well known.

Apart from maybe Gary Olsen from sitcom: 2 point 4 Children.

I never got to speak to him but I heard plenty of what he had to say.

I get it all the time; people clearly recognise me but decide not to make contact. I'm used to it now.

CHE

Well a meeting of sorts- many years ago I was strolling along platform 8 at King X, when a very short angry man ran straight into me splat......and he ended up on the floor. I offered my hand to help him up, but all I received was an expletive laden tirade from a very dishevelled Kevin Keegan - he was hammered and stank of booze

Over twenty years ago, when 'im indoors still lived in Brighton; we were on a bus going into town.
On passing a stop I turned to him and said "that tramp looks just like Kevin Rowland". He replied "that is Kevin Rowland"
Spotted him a couple of times In Safeways too, but never worked up the courage to speak to him, fearing I'd turn into that fanboy.

But there's always that nagging doubt that the person might be someone else so you keep quiet instead of saying 'Alright Kevin?'

What can go wrong?

Sat on the next table to El Cordobes, The Beatle Bullfighter, in a big hotel in Zaragoza in 1968. Little guy at the head of a table surrounded by four large bouncers.

Stood at the bar in some upmarket burger bar in Newcastle next to Tom Baker. He still had his scarf on.
Geezer behind counter: can I take your name for the order?
The Doctor
Yeabut dr who?
Yes, that’s right

(with all due respect to John Culshaw, Dead Ringers)

Rod Stewart in Harrods' tea room 2007 - he didn't make eye contact so decided to leave him alone.

Gary Moore + family in Howletts zoo park, Kent about the same time - again no proper eye contact so let things be.

I was at a beer festival at one of my favourite pubs in deepest Surrey. Roger Taylor (of Queen) walked in with his partner and a dog. He owns the large house across the road.

I studiously ignored him as I can't stand Queen.
Shouldn’t that be in the ‘Not meeting famous people you don’t like’ thread?

Did the shopping today (M&S food hall) in tandem with Simon Cowell. Exchanged a couple of ‘what the hell are we doing here’ glances. He has a place in the area but not seen him before, much shorter than I imagined.

advertisement

Back