advertisement

Your albums of the year '22

51OzNYelxGL._AC_UL116_SR116,116_.jpg

have hardly stopped playing KOKOROKO's 'Could We Be More' since my daughter bought it me. Upbeat and strong, musically satisfying and makes me want to dance, the West African influence makes me smile.

A couple more I forgot from my earlier batch:

The Comet Is Coming - Hyper-dimensional Expansion Beam. A good solid TCIC album, nothing radically new from them, but certainly worth having.

Yard Act - The Overlord / The Overdub. I have to admit I thought Overlord was last year hence not including it, I’d certainly not forgotten it. Great fun political stuff from Leeds with a hint of Fall/‘80s indie to it, I like this lot. The Overdub from a few weeks ago is a dub remix album by Mad Professor which works far better than one would expect given the indie nature of the material. Definitely worth having if there are any left. The vinyl is a Rough Trade exclusive.

Yeule - Glitch Princess. I’m slow to the party with this one, just ordered the Rough Trade Album of The Year transparent issue which hasn’t landed yet, but I’ve heard enough on YouTube to know it definitely makes my list.

Oso Oso - Sore Thumb
Sharon Van Etten - We've Been Going At This All Wrong
Mountain Goats - Bleed Out
Calexico - El Mirador
Band of Horses - Things Are Great
Spoon - Lucifer on the Sofa
Destroyer - Labryrinthitis
Animal Collective - Time Skiffs
Beach House - Once Twice Melody
Superchunk - Wild Loneliness
Pixies - Doggerel

Babehoven - Light Moving Time.

Such a 2022 vibe to it. So a sort of beautiful, forlorn, can't pay the gas bill miserableness :)

One of the bands I found from their live sessions on the excellent Audiotree.

Binker Golding - Dream Like a Dogwood Wild Boy
Espen Erickson Trio - In The Mountains
Snarky Puppy - Empire Central
Spoon - Lucifer On The Sofa
Alt-J - Dream

Alt J I just hear Elmer Fud on lead vocal.

This is why I love end of year lists- even though I am subscribed to loads of artist email lists and record shop email lists I still miss most of what comes out, even from artists I default buy no matter what as for whatever reason they either don't mail anything out or I don't get it.

Lots to work through, the Pitchfork list has thrown up the Makaya McCraven album I've heard nothing about until now.

I lost track of Spoon as I always quite liked them but they seemed to keep making not just the same record but the same song. But been listening to this new album since it appeared on these lists and am enjoying it a lot.

On heavy rotation..

Fontains DC - Skinty Fia
All of Daniel Avery's output this year
The Heavenly Weatherall remixes
Warrington-Runcorn New Town Development Plan - Districts, Roads, Open Space
A Certain Ratio - Live at Hope Mill Studios, with beautifully overlaid vocals by the late Denise Johnson
Hannah Peel -The Unfolding
Bonobo -Fragments
Richie Hawtin, Plastikman, Chilly Gonzales - Consumed In Key, unexpected and worth a spin
Leftfield - Full Way Round, still appearing...
Unkle - Ronin I (instrumentals) and Ronin II

so far...

advertisement

Back