advertisement

Meeting famous people you like

I`ve probably seen dozens of famous people over the years, mostly walking around Soho or other Studio / Film areas - they mostly didn`t know me either.
I once spent several minutes reminding someone what I'd spent a happy afternoon with him at a wedding a few weeks ago which he denied. Eventually he said in a loud exasperated voice that I may know him from films and the telly.
I went slightly red, walked away and still have no idea who he was.

Rick Wakeman - was one of the funniest and most entertaining nights of my life. The stories he tells ands mainly against himself are utterly hilarious. Met him through a friend whose partner was his PA - met at a restaurant when he was on tour and he insisted on picking up the tab which was really nice of him.

Lewis Hamilton - nothing like the arrogant dickhead so many on here and elsewhere like to portray him as. Lucid, contrite and interested in what I had to say as much as I was vice versa. A real gentleman who I could have talked to for hours and who, IMO, is going to do great things once he is finished driving.

Nigel Mansell - oh dear :(

Delia Smith's been one of our neighbours for the last 27 years or so. We don't see her much, but she's always been very pleasant. It's amusing when she's filming one of her TV programmes - they ship in lots of potted plants & stuff, plus a crowd of filming people. Think she's given up that stuff nowadays.

When we lived in Camden I'd occasionally see famous locals out and about. I used to love spotting Alan Bennet cycling past in sports jacket and tie, shopping in the bike's wicker basket.

Met plenty over 20 years in advertising, the charming: Spike Milligan, Leslie Phillips, Andy Mackay(Roxy), Emma Watson(aged4), Rick Mayall was great, (Ade Edmonson was a snarky prick) John Simm nice bloke, Honor Blackman still had 'it' despite her advancing years, Andy Peters really lovely fella, John Noakes was clearly a bit mad, John Peel very quiet and polite, Alan Whicker an absolute gent. Valerie Singleton was unpleasant and totally indifferent to the genuine affection on set, refusing to sign a crew member's Blue Peter Annual but the Toast of London award goes to Richard E Grant for being the complete knob.

Last edited:
I once spent several minutes reminding someone what I'd spent a happy afternoon with him at a wedding a few weeks ago which he denied. Eventually he said in a loud exasperated voice that I may know him from films and the telly.
I went slightly red, walked away and still have no idea who he was.
That’s like my ‘Valery Singleton’ experience 20 years ago.

I’ve met vast swathes of allegedly “famous” people as I was fairly well entrenched in the Liverpool music and arts scene throughout the ‘80s, though I mostly met people at the start of their careers. Musos who later had success and ended up in every good record collection. I can only think of one household name, a Manc, who I felt was a bit of a cock, but I won’t name them here. Musos and artists are good people IME.

PS I’m rather good at ‘6 degrees of separation’ as I can get to just about anyone thanks to Allan & Beryl Williams (Beatles 1st manager/1960s Jacaranda club manager), John Peel, Karlheinz Stockhausen, Damo Suzuki, Nik Turner, Bill Wyman, Tony Wilson, OMD etc. One of my oldest friends worked at the Tate for decades, so I’m only one degree of separation away from most of the contemporary art scene too! Once you have a say Beatle or a Stone you can get to the Queen and from there pretty much every head of state.

Had a pint with a few folks in Belfast over the years
Jeff Buckly - Genuine gent
David Holmes - absolute legend of a guy
Mani - who then invited us to the show later which was rather good.
I shared a cab with Gordon Giltrap after a gig in Belfast....top guy also.

I had a backstage chat with Roger Waters in Dublin a few years back and was quite taken aback with how much of a gent he was not to mention Snowy White who whe shared some chocolate with at the same gig.

Due to the nature of my work at my former place of employment, I've met more celebrities, soon-to-be-celebrities, and where-are-they-now celebrities than I could possibly list or even remember. Some standouts for being extremely nice would include Jimmy Herring (of Aquarium Rescue Unit, Widespread Panic, and various things connected to the Allmans or the Dead...), Kevin Martin of Candlebox, Daughtry, Janis Ian, Frank Black/Black Francis/Charles Thompson, The Samples/Sean Kelly, Sam Bush... Those are just the ones who came immediately to mind.

Kenny Rankin stands out as one of the most immediately and consistently unpleasant.

Janis Ian ? the actual beautiful songstress Janis Ian ?? Wow

Met plenty over 20 years in advertising, the charming: Spike Milligan, Leslie Phillips, Andy Mackay(Roxy), Emma Watson(aged4), Rick Mayall was great, (Ade Edmonson was a snarky prick) John Simm nice bloke, Honour Blackman still had 'it' despite her advancing years, Andy Peters really lovely fella, John Noakes was clearly a bit mad, Valerie Singleton was unpleasant and totally indifferent to the genuine affection on set, refusing to sign a crew member's Blue Peter Annual but the Toast of London award goes to Richard E Grant for being the complete knob.

A friend of mine did some work for Richard E Grant at his house, said he was one of the nicest clients he’d ever had.

I used to put Petrol in Norma Waterson’s car most weekends when I was at school, she was lovely. She eventually told me her family ‘had a little bit of success as folk musicians’.

Damian Lewis was a regular in a bar I worked in, in Soho, he must have been in a play at the time. He was always pleasant but unassuming. Couldn’t believe it when I saw him in Motherland.

Cheers BB

How dare you! ;)
Interesting as I assumed REG had a good reputation...
He was booked for a voice over and the previous session was over running by 10 minutes( the meter was running ie he was being paid) he must've assumed in his greatness that he'd knock out the v/o in 5 mins and be off to lunch in no time....anyway the self important arse, after being rude to the poor runner looking after him,flounced off. I can't watch Toast without being reminded of his antics :) everyone is entitled to a bad day I suppose....

I worked for a major British Airline for 38 years, 34 of them on board the plane. So I got to meet probably hundreds of famous people. Royalty, sportsmen, musicians, actors et al.
What I would say is that sometimes,just one meeting isn’t enough to give an accurate picture. You can catch someone on a bad day who’s in a foul mood & the next time they are far nicer.
One for Tony & other F1 fans…..James Hunt. He had a terrible reputation amongst the airline crew for being a PITA, yet when he was onboard one of my flights, he noticed a young lad who had badly broken his leg & was obviously in discomfort with the plaster cast. He sat down with him, signed the cast, told him stories of driving fast cars, gave him loads of Ferrari souvenirs, pictures, baseball cap, etc etc. The young lad totally forgot about his pain & had a great flight. A total gent.
On another flight,he got so drunk he was queuing for the 1st class loo, couldn’t hold it any longer & so just got his tackle out & pee’d all over the person standing in front of him which happened to be Esther Rantzen.
Ahh,the good old days.

I met Burn Gorman & his wife, family when up at Castle Menzies lifting the Chieftain Stone :D

I had no idea they were who they were until I Googled him afterwards; knew I recognised him though...

Very pleasant; think they must have been staying at one of the private houses that are local to there, on holiday... They were asking what the hell I was doing haha and if I knew where the horses were (round the back of the Castle)

Oh, was this you with the bible?

Thank you I enjoyed that very much. The corpulent slanderer in the video is a symptom of what’s gone very badly wrong with US and other societies. I’m surprised Aldrin exercised so much restraint initially.

advertisement

Back