advertisement

The Tesla Dilemma

single 1970s garage here - can easily get some full phat pork in and out, even with my belly overhang

image.png

Point taken! Got a pic? Hopes it’s a classic Chris-Craft!

Wooden boats are fab. I’ve always had a dream of kayak upgrading from plastic to fiberglass to wood. Am still stuck at plastic (Necky Narpa) mostly because it fits me well. Mrs. Hook moved up to fiberglass (Current Designs Solstice) and with her gain in speed, she more easily keeps to my pace. Really looking forward to getting back on the water next year.
Here's one of the little dudes. I built this just before lockdown - kept me sane

52545971987_4f34503233_b.jpg

This one was a longer project, but needs to be undercover in the winter

52546988783_e5ccfa8d31_c.jpg

Here's one of the little dudes. I built this just before lockdown - kept me sane

52545971987_4f34503233_b.jpg

This one was a longer project, but needs to be undercover in the winter

52546988783_e5ccfa8d31_c.jpg

They look fantastic! Well done sir!

It never fails to amuse that people have perfectly good garages in which they store mostly worthless junk while a car worth thousands or tens of thousands is sitting outside in the elements.
Worthless junk? Oh no, my garage is filled with a treasure house of precious things, most of which have no obvious purpose but their value will no doubt become clear in time.

SWMBO'S Kia EV6 (and I suspect most other EVs) can be programmed to switch on its heater an hour or so before she sets off to work, so it's nice and toasty, and completely defrosted.

Let's not forget that electric cars are not here to save the planet they are here to save the car industry.

Rather pushing pollution away from city centres back to the power stations.

No wind or sun today..
Definitely no sun at night when most people charge them.

Rather pushing pollution away from city centres back to the power stations.

No wind or sun today..
Definitely no sun at night when most people charge them.
We've covered this one. Total emissions are less for electric cars from UK grid than IC engines.
Also, bear in mind that power stations don't get turned on and off like a light, so using power at night makes sense. Peak usage tonight will be halftime in the football and or Coronation street, once these times have gone there will be surplus power that needs to be used.

I’d not be prepared to give money to a racist homophobic far-right piece of shit like Elon Musk, but that’s just me! No way in hell would I go near that asshole or any brand he was connected to with any money.

moderators??!!
Oh - err..

only joking!

I'm just jealous you guys have garages. I'd love a garage (whether to store car or junk)...

My garage is one of a block of four.
When we moved ( in ‘93 ) I drove my car into the garage and couldn’t open the door enough to
get out.
Since then it has been used for bicycles, bicycle repairs, PA gear storage, etc.

The man opposite has nothing in his garage except for his wife’s bicycle.
Which she never uses.
He takes his car out frequently, cleans and polishes it and then puts it back in his garage.
I don’t do car washing and polishing.
There’s much more interesting things to do...

...because oil, as we all know, is gently dripped into pristine barrels every night by the magical petroleum pixies.
Also bear in mind that once the lithium is in the battery it's captive and when the cell dies it can be recycled. It has a value, so there's an incentive to do so, just like the platinum in catalytic converters. You can't recycle a fossil fuel once it's been burnt.

The extra materials and energy involved in manufacturing a lithium-ion battery mean that, at present, the carbon emissions associated with producing an electric car are higher than those for a vehicle running on petrol or diesel – by as much as 38%, according to some calculations. Until the electricity in national grids is entirely renewable, recharging the battery will involve a degree of dependence on coal or gas-fired power stations.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/20...te-oil-electric-vehicles-dirty-secret-lithium

advertisement

Back